or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Best Blade/Tour Irons...Ever?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Blade/Tour Irons...Ever? - Page 3

post #37 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post


So which different blades have you tried? Any lately?

 

There seem to be a lot of Cleveland and Titleist staffers putting their sponsors' newest forged musclebacks in the bag. I don't see too many Mizuno staffers with blades in the bag any more. In the 90s yeah, but it's been mostly cavity backs with their top guys for a while now.

 


Mainly because you can't pry the MP-62s out of their bags. a2_wink.gif

 

Howell just went the other way from JPX-800 Pros to the MP-59s. But he changes clubs like Canadians change their underwear, every other month.

 



Check out WITB pics of Cleveland guys like Overton and Pampling - their totally unavailable forged muscleback looks really interesting. You'll never see it in the stores though, any more than Aaron Baddeley's  model of Adams irons ever saw a box store shelf. I guess what I was saying though is a lot of people prefer a small headed cavity back that sets up very similar to a muscleback blade, but when money is on the line, Mizuno players tend to go the cavity back route these days.

post #38 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post


So which different blades have you tried? Any lately?

 

There seem to be a lot of Cleveland and Titleist staffers putting their sponsors' newest forged musclebacks in the bag. I don't see too many Mizuno staffers with blades in the bag any more. In the 90s yeah, but it's been mostly cavity backs with their top guys for a while now.

 


Honestly, all of them.  I try out all the new clubs at the local pro shop every year.  Callaway, Titleist and TM make good blades too but Ive never felt like they were in the same league as the Japanese forgings such as Mizzie, Bstone or Miura.

As for the Mizzie staffers, the newer forged CBs have much of the feel of the blades with considerable more forgivness.  Dont get it twisted that somehow Mizunos blades arent any good.

 

post #39 of 155

To the OP.

 

If there is a golfsmith where you live, look at the 'used section'.

 

At the store close to where I live, their 'used section' rack is filled with tour blades/forged blades/players' irons --- you name it.

 

I got my MP68 off this rack ---- a custom ordered one, hardly hit for half the price of a new one.

 

Hit any of these clubs at your delight......

 

Use their monitor if you have to to see the height, ball speed etc.

 

Warning: At my Golfsmith, they got the swing speed and distance 'amp'd very up'. You will see Joe Blow with an ugly, slow swing registering 280-300yard drives.....down the middle !!

post #40 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleistWI View Post


Honestly, all of them.  I try out all the new clubs at the local pro shop every year.  Callaway, Titleist and TM make good blades too but Ive never felt like they were in the same league as the Japanese forgings such as Mizzie, Bstone or Miura.

As for the Mizzie staffers, the newer forged CBs have much of the feel of the blades with considerable more forgivness.  Dont get it twisted that somehow Mizunos blades arent any good.

 



ive hit bridgestones....not nearly as good as my fgs. id put mizuno just above me. and ive never tried/bought miura irons. I'm not gonna play over 1300 for a set of forgiving blades when im sure i can find the same for much less. hence, fgs.

 

i think the only companies pushing their tour forged/forgiving forged irons are companies like ping, adams, titleist. i personally like adams...and am considering getting a set of either cb1s or pro black mbs. i tried titleists' forged offerings and they were i think the hardest forged iron ive ever hit and the AP line look rediculous. the topline is too thick and the size is too big heel-toe. mb/cb/mc too small too. although mr. miura himself thinks smaller is better with his "57s". pings s56 anser and i15 are nice looking. i havent tried any...but i think id considering the s56 over any of them. if mahan likes them then im sure i would too.

 

the only mizunos in the conversation when i was in the market were the jpx-800 pro...they looked sharp and felt powerful. but i liked the FG's control much more. they also remind me of a transition set of blades i was using by wilson. traditional and solid and when struck nicely they gave me more a feeling of confidence. im saying "be the right club!" and "take a seat!" now and i used to keep quiet haha love these irons.

 

but im considering mizunos, macgregor vips, and adams for a second set to manage the wear.

 

all in all people praise mizuno as the best, but i honestly think there are sets out there just as nice that people are overlooking.

post #41 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by handlez42 View Post



ive hit bridgestones....not nearly as good as my fgs. id put mizuno just above me. and ive never tried/bought miura irons. I'm not gonna play over 1300 for a set of forgiving blades when im sure i can find the same for much less. hence, fgs.

 

i think the only companies pushing their tour forged/forgiving forged irons are companies like ping, adams, titleist. i personally like adams...and am considering getting a set of either cb1s or pro black mbs. i tried titleists' forged offerings and they were i think the hardest forged iron ive ever hit and the AP line look rediculous. the topline is too thick and the size is too big heel-toe. mb/cb/mc too small too. although mr. miura himself thinks smaller is better with his "57s". pings s56 anser and i15 are nice looking. i havent tried any...but i think id considering the s56 over any of them. if mahan likes them then im sure i would too.

 

the only mizunos in the conversation when i was in the market were the jpx-800 pro...they looked sharp and felt powerful. but i liked the FG's control much more. they also remind me of a transition set of blades i was using by wilson. traditional and solid and when struck nicely they gave me more a feeling of confidence. im saying "be the right club!" and "take a seat!" now and i used to keep quiet haha love these irons.

 

but im considering mizunos, macgregor vips, and adams for a second set to manage the wear.

 

all in all people praise mizuno as the best, but i honestly think there are sets out there just as nice that people are overlooking.

Macgregors are very under rated in my opinion. The VIP line are very solid. I know when you compare it side by side with the Mizuno, the VIP's has a harder feel to it. But again, feel is very subjective.

 

I think Macgregors being sold at Kmart kinda hurt the brand for brand conscious folks.

 

Btw, which FG's were you playing ? I just picked up a new set of FG Tours as the price of it was just above $300.00. Very pleasantly surpised by this set by Wilson. Tends to launch the ball high as the head is kinda heavy.....but very solid clubs.
 

 

post #42 of 155

I love my Hogan Apex Blades, I just don't play/practice enough to play them on a regular basis. I get froggy every once in awhile and put them in the bag, they quicker get put back in the box after though lol..

post #43 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18thbunker View Post

Macgregors are very under rated in my opinion. The VIP line are very solid. I know when you compare it side by side with the Mizuno, the VIP's has a harder feel to it. But again, feel is very subjective.

 

I think Macgregors being sold at Kmart kinda hurt the brand for brand conscious folks.

 

Btw, which FG's were you playing ? I just picked up a new set of FG Tours as the price of it was just above $300.00. Very pleasantly surpised by this set by Wilson. Tends to launch the ball high as the head is kinda heavy.....but very solid clubs.
 

 



i have looked into the vips quite a bit...im not sure how they feel in comparison to my fgs. i know my fgs feel very soft. but are also "firmer" than mizunos. i only say firm because a review i read the guy specifically said that "this doesn't mean they are 'harsher'. just more solid" i tend to agree. im sure the vips are relatively comparable.

 

I currently game the FG tours and love them. although i dont have a comparable set that i played consistent previously, and my last set was an older version of the "D"- lineup by wilson, the Deep Red II Distance. they are nothing like the FGs. i do however feel that side to side control could be up with the best, and although they may not seem very long, distance control is exceptional.

t

post #44 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by handlez42 View Post



i have looked into the vips quite a bit...im not sure how they feel in comparison to my fgs. i know my fgs feel very soft. but are also "firmer" than mizunos. i only say firm because a review i read the guy specifically said that "this doesn't mean they are 'harsher'. just more solid" i tend to agree. im sure the vips are relatively comparable.

 

I currently game the FG tours and love them. although i dont have a comparable set that i played consistent previously, and my last set was an older version of the "D"- lineup by wilson, the Deep Red II Distance. they are nothing like the FGs. i do however feel that side to side control could be up with the best, and although they may not seem very long, distance control is exceptional.

t


How does FG Tours compare to VIP's.

 

I likewise recently acquired the FG Tours. Likewise I acquired a used MP-68 at the beginning of the year to replace my MP-14 which I played for 12-13 years. In regards to feel, this is my opinion.

 

Soft ----- > Firm

 

MP-68 -> FG Tours -> MP-14 = VIP.

 

Again take this with a grain of salt....as this is just my opinion.

 

post #45 of 155

Pretty sure the OP has pulled the trigger on his new irons by now. Can we kill this thread yet?

post #46 of 155

Im pretty sure this is easily a thread that can allow ppl to post opinions....why do you think we're on page 3? I know one reviewer mentioned he could only tell the difference between fgs and I think 58s by taking his glove off...meaning only a hairs difference between the two. I agree the fgs hit a bit high..even higher due to my Nippon 950gh shaft...im considering bending them down a bit at least in the short-mids

post #47 of 155

Some of what you're asking is  based off of personal preference and skill level. One thing you might try is renting some various sets before you make any investment. Many golf courses have sets you can  rent. This can give you a feel for them before you lay out any cash. Another thing you might try is look for golfing partners on forums, community boards and at your golf courses locally to see if you can set get a game going. You can trade clubs, tee off and drive and get a feel for different sets. If you do this you should let them know you're a beginner, looking to get some hands-on time with various clubs and some input. If you aren't very outgoing you can contact the teaching pro at any golf club and see how you might get your hands on some different golf sets!

 

Good luck and happy tee time!

post #48 of 155
post #49 of 155


Why?
 

 

post #50 of 155

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

Why?


I, too, have no idea why we'd want to check that out. Mike....?

post #51 of 155

I wanted the forum to check out the best looking and best feeling club ever made,IMHO

post #52 of 155

Interesting old thread.  I'm sure the OP has bought his clubs by now, but still some good experience and opinions here.

 

And it always cracks me up when someone who apparently spends time on a forum blasts someone else for asking for advice/opinions on a forum. 

post #53 of 155

Best blades ever??

 

I'm a guy who does not change clubs frequently.  I've been playing golf for 25 years and I've owned 5 sets of irons.

 

Wilson Staff fluid feel tour blades.  Played these in highschool.  They're heavy and hard.

 

Hogan Apex BH Grind.  Played these in college.  They are a great, workable iron, but the long irons are tough unless you hit it absolutely perfectly.  What else would you expect from Ben Hogan?

 

Mizuno T-Zoid Pro and Pro-II.  Played the T-Zoid Pro for about five years, wore them out, and then played a set of Pro-IIs for another four years.  This is hands down the best iron I've ever played.  The grain-flow forged iron has a great soft feel to it, feels really solid on center hits, and is workable.  The thin perimeter blade with a block of steel right behind the sweet spot is the best version of a forged cavity/blade I've played.  And man, these things were long when hit in the middle of the face.  Of the two sets, nod goes to the Pro-II because of a slightly more compact appearance to the longer clubs.

 

Mizuno MP-57.  When the Pro-IIs wore out, bought these.  Lost 10 yards on the long and mid irons instantly.  Good feel, slightly higher launch, and workable although not quite as easily as the previous sets.  The only reason why they stayed in the bag was because I was hitting more greens.  (I guess I wasn't quite as good in my 30s as I was in my 20s.)

 

Now I'm hitting the AP2s, which have a pretty good feel to them.  Shots are consistent, scores are still low, but I long for the days when I could play with the T-Zoids and hit a laser-rope 2-iron about 230.

 

 

post #54 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleistWI View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post


So which different blades have you tried? Any lately?

 

There seem to be a lot of Cleveland and Titleist staffers putting their sponsors' newest forged musclebacks in the bag. I don't see too many Mizuno staffers with blades in the bag any more. In the 90s yeah, but it's been mostly cavity backs with their top guys for a while now.

 


Honestly, all of them.  I try out all the new clubs at the local pro shop every year.  Callaway, Titleist and TM make good blades too but Ive never felt like they were in the same league as the Japanese forgings such as Mizzie, Bstone or Miura.

As for the Mizzie staffers, the newer forged CBs have much of the feel of the blades with considerable more forgivness.  Dont get it twisted that somehow Mizunos blades arent any good.

 



I was just wondering which blades you've had a chance to hit. "All of them" is kind of vague. Not sure if you hit the new 712 MBs or the CG1s (or CG Tours), but it sounds like you've had your hands on a lot of blades and ones from Callaway, Titleist, TaylorMade, Bridgestone, Miura, and Mizuno specifically. Which models have you hit?

 

From that short list I've had blades from Mizuno, Titleist, Cleveland, TaylorMade, and Callaway in the bag, but only older models. Of the new stuff I've only had a chance to hit the Callaway Razr X Forged on the course. They're not my cup 'o tea aesthetically, but they set up very nice and felt as good as any Mizuno I've ever hit. My buddy is pretty happy with them. His previous "blades" were Nakashimas and they were pretty awesome.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Best Blade/Tour Irons...Ever?