or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The 1 Iron!

post #1 of 105
Thread Starter 
Anyone here carry one?

Gonna start hitting mine again i think. Are they really that hard to hit? Any tips?

The idea of a gentle low 1 iron on tight par 4's appeals to me
post #2 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

Why not play with a modern 2 iron instead? You would get a little more carry and a slightly softer landing. I played a MacGregor VIP 1 iron for a long time before I discoved the Zing. I played alot of years with forged blades, but I teed off with the Zing 2 iron when my driver went south. It was automatic.
post #3 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

Aside from pride and narcissism, I can't think of a legitimate reason to carry a 1 iron instead of a modern hybrid.
post #4 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

Technology has pretty much made the one and two iron obsolete. With the hybrids you have the distance but also get the height. I could see how a low piercing one iron would be good for a hard packed flat course if you wanted accuracy of the tee. My friend that rarely ever plays has a Callaway X12 or X14 1 iron and he hits it fine. Forged club, different story
post #5 of 105
Thread Starter 

Re: The 1 Iron!

Originally Posted by Lemay427 View Post
Technology has pretty much made the one and two iron obsolete. With the hybrids you have the distance but also get the height. I could see how a low piercing one iron would be good for a hard packed flat course if you wanted accuracy of the tee. My friend that rarely ever plays has a Callaway X12 or X14 1 iron and he hits it fine. Forged club, different story
I have a callaway 14 1 iron. lol.

why is it being forged a different story?
post #6 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

Just buy a TaylorMade 3 iron and you're good to go.
post #7 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

Originally Posted by delav View Post
Aside from pride and narcissism, I can't think of a legitimate reason to carry a 1 iron instead of a modern hybrid.
agreed.....
post #8 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

Better yet, learn to hit a driver or 3 wood stinger. It is perfect for tight holes with length and it usually runs out a mile
post #9 of 105
Thread Starter 

Re: The 1 Iron!

Originally Posted by michaeljames92 View Post
Better yet, learn to hit a driver or 3 wood stinger.
elaborate please. so a low drive basically? how?
post #10 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

Originally Posted by 8.5_Drive View Post
Anyone here carry one?

Gonna start hitting mine again i think. Are they really that hard to hit? Any tips?

The idea of a gentle low 1 iron on tight par 4's appeals to me
Are you just wanting to hit a certain shot or just see if you can hit it at all? Trying to get in touch with the history of the game and all that jazz?

Either way, just do it. You're an 8.0 so you can hit a ball and you're not a +8.0 so you probably aren't earning a living with your golf game. It would be worth it just to see the look on people's face after you stripe it on the first hole then they ask what you hit.
post #11 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

Originally Posted by 8.5_Drive View Post
elaborate please. so a low drive basically? how?
Put it back in your stance(obviously) so its not far in front of the middle of your stance. This will make sure your hands are ahead of the ball. Grip down about 2 inches on the shaft and take a 3/4 swing and try to keep your left wrist bowed for as long as possible through impact and cut off the follow through. I also try to take it inside a little(well feels like it anyway) so it has a bit of a sling on it, making it run out faster.



Picture this right to left shape but about half as low.
post #12 of 105
Thread Starter 

Re: The 1 Iron!

Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post
Are you just wanting to hit a certain shot or just see if you can hit it at all? Trying to get in touch with the history of the game and all that jazz?

Either way, just do it. You're an 8.0 so you can hit a ball and you're not a +8.0 so you probably aren't earning a living with your golf game. It would be worth it just to see the look on people's face after you stripe it on the first hole then they ask what you hit.
Bit of both tbh. I dont like to hit a driver on every hole. meh..

I remember watching my uncle hit his 1 iron, he used to drill it 250 yards no higher than 10 feet. Incredibly usefull shot. But he was +2 :)
post #13 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

What degree is a 1 iron anyway? Wouldn't it be just the same as hitting a strong 3 wood of like 13degrees with a steel shaft, so it doesnt get up into the air? Or one with a high kick pooint graphite shaft so it stays low?
post #14 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

There is still room in this game for a 2 iron for a person who can use it competently. I like the lower ball flight of a 2 iron over most hybrids. I hit a hybrid now days, but I miss being able to spank the 2 iron off the tee. ( sux getting older)
post #15 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

Originally Posted by 8.5_Drive View Post
Bit of both tbh. I dont like to hit a driver on every hole. meh..

I remember watching my uncle hit his 1 iron, he used to drill it 250 yards no higher than 10 feet. Incredibly usefull shot. But he was +2 :)
I can give you some tips on hitting a 2-iron, but not a 1-iron. I've hit a lot of 2-irons and they're all slightly different, but not terribly harder to hit than the matching 3-iron from that set.

A 1-iron is another animal though, because once you get below 20 degrees of loft, your room for error basically disappears. A 2-iron can be hit high or low and worked either way, but the money in the bank shot is that arrow straight and low bullet that, like your dad's 1-iron, finds the centre of the fairway at about 240-260 yards off the tee. Personally, I don't have the strength or confidence to hit a 1-iron and the only time I need a shot lower than a 2-iron stinger, is when I'm on the green. So, I guess that wasn't much help.
post #16 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

Didn't you ever hear the quote that "Only God and Jack Nicklaus can hit a 1 iron?" Nicklaus once hit a fabulous and important 1 iron to win a major (can't remember which one) which is a part of golf legend. I can't remember any pro in the last 20 years using a 1 iron for anything. The concept of an amateur using one (pun intended) is ludicrous.
post #17 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

I have one, a Wilson Staff Progressive-checks in at 17*. It is not easy to hit, I use it primarily as a range club. I hit it once on the course, off the tee. Hit a beautiful, beautiful shot-but it's much harder to pinch off a fairway. I very occasionally play with a 2 iron in the bag, a 19* Titleist Forged Tour Model. The 2 iron is plenty hard to hit, and I agree with those who argue that a 1 iron in the modern bag is essentially obsolete. I have a 16* Cobra Baffler DWS 1H, much easier to hit than a 1 iron, can be worked left or right, high or low, and doesn't have the potential to wreck a hole as fast as a 1 iron could.
post #18 of 105

Re: The 1 Iron!

A friend of mine who plays off 4 was practising with an old mizuno 1i blade.
I was striking it well but I wasn't able to get enough power and launch it into the air. I was getting a carry of 170 yards and then a load of roll.
It had a S300 shaft on it and the shaft length must've been nearly the same as my driver.
Not a very nice club.

Didn't you ever hear the quote that "Only God and Jack Nicklaus can hit a 1 iron?" Nicklaus once hit a fabulous and important 1 iron to win a major (can't remember which one) which is a part of golf legend. I can't remember any pro in the last 20 years using a 1 iron for anything. The concept of an amateur using one (pun intended) is ludicrous.
It was the U.S Open at pebble beach.
Dustin johnson would've been hitting a 6 iron or something from that yardage nowadays!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips