or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tiger Woods handicap
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tiger Woods handicap - Page 4

post #55 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

What do you have against Delaware?
But seriously, there are a lot of crappy munis here. There is a giant gap between muni and $70 per round country club that could use some fillin'.

2010 jamo was actually right about something. Still no mid-price courses in Delaware.
post #56 of 84

did you notice the ratings for Sawgrass during the players? Geez

post #57 of 84
I'm not so sure. I once played a really good course with tour speed greens. It was Ridiculous! I would barely touch the ball and it would go 10 feet. And there were insane contours. I was 4 putting from 10 feet.

On the other hand, I bet a hacker might actually beat a pro in a handicap round on the hackers home course. The pro would have to give up so many strokes it would be almost impossible. 1 lucky putt and the 25 capper wins.
post #58 of 84

i would hate to have a + handicap - dont get me wrong id love to be that good but imagine at the end of your round giving shots back to the course!!! i mean how happy are you giving back money to the government after uve busted your ass all week to make it!! no golf tax!!

post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by billatthebar View Post

i would hate to have a + handicap - dont get me wrong id love to be that good but imagine at the end of your round giving shots back to the course!!! i mean how happy are you giving back money to the government after uve busted your ass all week to make it!! no golf tax!!


I take it once you get to a plus handicap you rarely even care about handicaps in general.   I know I wouldn't.

post #60 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post


I take it once you get to a plus handicap you rarely even care about handicaps in general.   I know I wouldn't.
Totally. If I ever got that good I'd just play scratch competitions, not handicapped competitions ... That would be silly.
post #61 of 84

Tigers handicap has been calculated in the past when he was playing his best using his tourney scores.....and it was a +10.   Greg Norman was also a +10 during his peak. 

post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

They wouldn't even play any of the really bad courses around here for any amount of money for the same reasons I don't play some of them (anymore). Totally unputtable greens and totally un-maintained.

 

The last time I made the mistake of going to one course close to my house the longest putt my wife or I made was less than a foot (and we are both good putters). Since nobody else was playing the lady said we could play another round for free...We never even considered taking her up on the offer.

 

To play some of those courses and shoot a good score they would have to leave the driver in the bag most of the time. Especially if they were playing the course without spotters. Any ball slightly in the un-mowed Bermuda rough has about an 80% chance of never being found until a month later when they finally decide to mow it. Any ball more off line than that has a 100% chance of belonging to the snakes forever.

 

So we have the best players in the world playing where they can't take advantage of their length and hitting into overgrown fairways with as much rock as dirt and grass, and hitting onto "greens" that nobody can putt on. Then to really make it more realistic we'll put a few carts full of drunks out there acting like total idiots.

 

Would they shoot a good score? Not a chance in Hell.

 

Good post.  Although they would still shoot a good score, just maybe not as great as we would expect extrapolating based on their tour scores.  The benefits they get playing on tour wouldn't apply (having spotters, balls being knocked down by grandstands and trampled down rough, etc).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post


I take it once you get to a plus handicap you rarely even care about handicaps in general.   I know I wouldn't.

 

Yeah, seriously.  You'd have to be a fool or a masochist to play net stroke competitions at that point.

post #63 of 84

http://www.score18.com/index2.php?p=tiger keeps up to date with Tiger's Handicap.  As of Jun 11, 2003 his handicap is:  +6.3,  The U.S. Open is next week, guess we'll see what one week-end can do to a pro's handicap.

post #64 of 84

Tiger would have to give me 16 strokes and play left-handed..and I MIGHT be able to stay within 20 of him.

post #65 of 84

If you're in a plus handicap, aren't you on some sort of tour by then? 

post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDee View Post

If you're in a plus handicap, aren't you on some sort of tour by then? 

 

Not necessarily.  Most pros play to about a +5 if not more.  The difference between a +0.5 and a +5 is miles. 

post #67 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

Good post.  Although they would still shoot a good score, just maybe not as great as we would expect extrapolating based on their tour scores.  The benefits they get playing on tour wouldn't apply (having spotters, balls being knocked down by grandstands and trampled down rough, etc).

 

 

These are not the things that create dozens scores in the low 60s that would allow these guys to maintain those low handicaps.

Fats, true greens on PGA Tour courses would be one of the main contributors.

 

Seems that peope are always looking for imaginary ways to lessen the gap between themselves and the pros.

post #68 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

These are not the things that create dozens scores in the low 60s that would allow these guys to maintain those low handicaps.

Fats, true greens on PGA Tour courses would be one of the main contributors.

 

Seems that peope are always looking for imaginary ways to lessen the gap between themselves and the pros.

 

You're taking my post out of context.  I didn't say those things allow them to shoot in the 60s, nor did I use them to rationalize why they shoot better than me.  

 

This was about why using an average municipal course slope/rating to try and calculate a pro's index isn't as simple as saying: take their current game/scores, put them on a muni course with a significantly lower rating/slope, and extrapolate what the difference would be.  It's not as simple as saying "yeah they go 68 on a tough pro circuit, so they would go 58 on a muni."  There are some assumptions that go along with the pro circuit that result in tangible benefits for them that they wouldn't get on the muni, some of which you mentioned, along with inconsistent bunkers, etc.  All I was saying is that it's not necessarily a given they would shoot 58.  I could be completely wrong. 

post #69 of 84


Since there's talk about how a pro may score on one of our courses, I thought I'd share a photo of a plaque that hangs at my course's 19th hole.

As you can see, Ben Hogan was once the course record holder with a 64 in 1951. I'm not sure if ratings have changed over the years, but current course information from the tips are: 6,256 yds; par 71; 70.4 rating; 120 slope.
post #70 of 84
He has a +10 or better. My dad is a 15 an played harbor town the other day. Shot 100 and was very happy. He said the greens were very true and made it so much easier. Those guys shoot like 68 on that course
post #71 of 84

Tiger Woods handicap would be so far superior to anybody elses it's just mind boggling. The 61 he shot at firestone would probably be around a +15 differential...and generally speaking when posting handicap scores your bad ones have less effect than your good ones..at least in my experience. If I had to guess he's a +11 or 12

post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerGolfer View Post

Tiger Woods handicap would be so far superior to anybody elses it's just mind boggling. The 61 he shot at firestone would probably be around a +15 differential...and generally speaking when posting handicap scores your bad ones have less effect than your good ones..at least in my experience. If I had to guess he's a +11 or 12
it would be like +20 differential atleast. That was an incredibly hard course. They look easy on tv but it would at over 20 strokes to your round if you played there
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tiger Woods handicap