or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Iron Club Face At Address
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Iron Club Face At Address

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
When you address the ball with your irons do you have the club face square to the target line,slightly closed, slightly open, or any other variation? At the range tonight I seem to get much better contact when I addressed the ball with a slightly closed club face.
post #2 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

Originally Posted by Kalipari View Post
When you address the ball with your irons do you have the club face square to the target line,slightly closed, slightly open, or any other variation? At the range tonight I seem to get much better contact when I addressed the ball with a slightly closed club face.
Slightly open - where I intend to return the clubface at impact.
post #3 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

Slightly open...
post #4 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

slightly open. even a slight bit closed and i know i'll be hitting ugly pulls and hooks.
post #5 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

Try to keep it square but rather have it slightly open than closed.
post #6 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

I struggle with accidentally gripping the club with the face closed.
post #7 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

I generally set up a bit closed, to help myself get rid of a nasty slice, and have never had a problem with hooks/pulls. I guess it all depends on your natural flight path.
post #8 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

When I was first starting I had it closed, but as my swing has gotten better it's opened up more and more. As my swing strengthened I began to hit draw and was landing left of my targets. The consistent draw for me really began when I started to implement some stack and tilt to my swing...
post #9 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

Slightly open. If I square it, it will over draw.
post #10 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

Originally Posted by nuck81 View Post
When I was first starting I had it closed, but as my swing has gotten better it's opened up more and more. As my swing strengthened I began to hit draw and was landing left of my targets. The consistent draw for me really began when I started to implement some stack and tilt to my swing...
Must be working for you. I noticed your handicap has dropped from a 25, right?
post #11 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

are you guys hitting slight drwas with the open face or do you do it to hit a straight ball?
I've started overdrawing my shots so i'm wondering
post #12 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

Originally Posted by JML22 View Post
are you guys hitting slight drwas with the open face or do you do it to hit a straight ball?
I've started overdrawing my shots so i'm wondering
Both shots are possible.
post #13 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

hmm
ill work with it a bit
post #14 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

Slightly open.
post #15 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

wow... starting slightly open feels and performs a lot better... weird
post #16 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

Square....
post #17 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

slightly open to play about a 5-10yrd draw ball flight. if its square i usually pull hook it. i think slightly open also consciously helps me release my hands right of the target line/swing in out
post #18 of 26

Re: Iron Club Face At Address

This is one of those truly enlightening threads I find every so often. I have always lined up with the clubface square. I hit the range this afternoon and tried lining up with the clubface slightly open. The majority of my shots were straight or slight draws with much better contact. I did have the occasional straight push. I think my mind tries to really square up the clubface if it starts that way, but having it slightly open and coming into the inside of the ball really seemed to be easier. I hit a lot more shots dead center of the sweet spot. I can't wait to see how this continues.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Iron Club Face At Address