A common question is how to use the new list feature and how to display them in your signature. This is a quick "bottom up" step-by-step tutorial on creating and using lists.
- Go to "My Profile".
- Scroll to the category "Your Lists" at the bottom. Click "Create a new list".
- In the pop-up box, enter the name you want the new list to have. Example: "My Golf Clubs" or "Courses I Regularly Play".
- Select the type of items the list will contain from the drop-down list (clubs, courses, etc).
- Optionally, provide a brief description of the list. When people view your list they will see this description, so you can use it provide more details or context for your list. Example: "Although this list has 16 clubs, I choose the 14 best suited for the course I'm playing" or "I try to play all these courses at least once a month."
- Once your list has been created, go to the "Equipment" or "Courses" tab at the top of the site to add items.
- Find the item that you want to add (if it doesn't exist you may have to create it first).
- If you are viewing the item in a list of a category, you can click "List this" in the bottom right corner of the item's row. If you are on the item's page, you can click "Add to Your List" in the upper-right corner.
- Choose the number of the item to add and select whether your relationship to it is past, current, or future. (For clubs this is "Had it", "Own it", "Want it", and for courses it is "Been There", "Golf Here", "Want To Go".) Choose the list you want to add the item to from the drop-down box and then click "Submit". (Note that you can repeat this process to add an item to additional lists.)
- Go back to "My Profile". Scroll down to "Your Lists" at the bottom. Click the list you just created.
- Scroll down to the list's contents and find the item you just added to your list.
- Click "edit" next to the item you added and observe that you can edit any of the item's information. Furthermore, you can also add a comment to it. Use this comment field for additional information on the item as it pertains to you specifically. You can also add a image for the item, presumably the primary use of this would be to take an image of your actual item. Example comment: "I have the stock stiff shaft and a 9.5 degree face", or "I have both the 19* and 22* version", or "Mine has a gunmetal finish". * Note that you can add the same item to multiple lists. If you do this, the information (eg, ownership status, quantity, and comments) will remain the same for the item across all of the lists, so you should enter the information for each item as it pertains to you, not as it pertains to your specific list.
- To add a list to your signature, go to "My Profile", scroll down to "My Signature", and click "Edit signature text".
- Note that there are three drop-down menus labeled "Show off stuff in your signature". You are allowed to display three special items (such as a list) in your signature, where the list is shown is determined by which of the drop-down menus you choose. Choose the left drop-down to display on the left, the middle to display in the middle, and the right to display on the right. In this drop-down, select the name of your list that you want to display.
- To change the image that represents your list, go to "My Profile", select the list name, click "Add Photos", upload an image (of the bag, of a club, anything), and save it. The description you give the image will be a part of the text that appears when you hover over the image list, so keep it short and to the point. Once you have more than one photo for the list, you can select the primary one by clicking the appropriate image and selecting "Make Primary".
Edited by B-Con - 12/23/10 at 10:45pm