or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (coachjimsc)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (coachjimsc) - Page 3

post #37 of 58
Thread Starter 

I ventured out to the range for the second consecutive Saturday to take some video and check on some of the changes Brian has had me working on.

 

 

Picture on the right is April 2013; on the left is this past Saturday.

 

The changes Brian had me working on:

 

1.      1. Stand taller to the ball. (yellow lines)

2.      2. Get my chin down and get the ball focused between my eyes (green line)

3.      3. Get my hands higher. Club pointed above my beltline. (red line)

4.      4. Pelvic Tilt. Better, but could use a little more.

 

 

Okay so I am on the right track there. Now for the not so good…

 

When I went to the range last Saturday and after looking at the video I almost thru up. One of my personal pet peeves for my backswing is crossing the line at the top and letting the right elbow get away from my rib cage. It may not be a priority piece for me but I am making it one because I can’t stand to look at it any longer.

 

 

 

It also affects my misses. Way too many to the left as opposed to when I’m not doing it.

 

So all week long I've been working on keeping a towel under the right arm pit. I have done this before but apparently not enough. The swing on the left feels short and like my right elbow is against my rib cage.

 

 

 

I will continue working on this until it becomes something I don't have to think about.

 

My goal is to get to this eventually...

 

 

If anyone has had the same issue and has any other thoughts or drills I would love to hear them.

 

post #38 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Paging @cipher and a few others…

 

 

I think I am one of the "others" Erik was referring to.

 

I went out yesterday and tried this drill. One of the issues I've always had with my swing is not getting my hips and shoulders open enough at impact. I have been searching for some key to help me with this. Rotating more, spinning hips, etc, etc. It would "feel" like I was Wide Open at impact, look at the video...no difference. 

 

So here is my attempt at this drill...

 

 

After reviewing the video and rewatching Erik's and Dave's I realized I wasn't doing it correctly...I think.

Too big a swing. Even with that I was liking the better impact position.

 

So I went out today at lunch and tried to do the drill more like Erik demonstrated...

 

 

Looks better and felt better. No rear view, I will try and get one tomorrow to show impact.

 

I like how the arms extend better after impact. Something I don't do very well now.

 

Thanks 5SK boys....these guys are good!

post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjimsc View Post
 

So I went out today at lunch and tried to do the drill more like Erik demonstrated...

 

 

Looks better and felt better. No rear view, I will try and get one tomorrow to show impact.

 

It is better.

 

I think the first videos looked like you were trying to force the rotation. A lot of the speed and the rotation comes from getting your hips forward, then fairly rapidly extending the lead knee. This "snaps" the hips around, snaps the club down into the ball, and keeps up a good rate of turning through the ball.

 

It should feel like a powerful move, and the DL view of your first series of videos almost looked like you were just trying to turn, almost as if your hips were backing up even.

 

@cipher can probably help. :)

post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

@cipher can probably help. :)

Maybe...I don't seem to be very good at explaining any feels to others with this.  However, like Erik is saying, you probably need to feel more speed, and more power.  It is almost a violent sort of move.  I feel it starting a bit before A6, but it is just as hard and fast as I can throw the left hip up and around from there.  I don't feel any sort of pushing into the ground or squishing anything under my foot.  That feel does not work for me(I just dip down with that feel).  It is almost as if my left hip is crashing up and to the left through something, almost a sort of jump.  It is kind of a one...two type rhythmic thing, the hip crashes and then forces the club to crash into the ball.   

 

 

I think Lexi's move is about as good as you can get to visualizing the force, power and speed of this move.   

 

It looks like you are getting there with it coach, but maybe need more up and around with speed doing it.  Hope this helps, but sorry if it does not.  

 

If it does not help, maybe this will...:-P 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #41 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

Maybe...I don't seem to be very good at explaining any feels to others with this.  However, like Erik is saying, you probably need to feel more speed, and more power.  It is almost a violent sort of move.  I feel it starting a bit before A6, but it is just as hard and fast as I can throw the left hip up and around from there.  I don't feel any sort of pushing into the ground or squishing anything under my foot.  That feel does not work for me(I just dip down with that feel).  It is almost as if my left hip is crashing up and to the left through something, almost a sort of jump.  It is kind of a one...two type rhythmic thing, the hip crashes and then forces the club to crash into the ball.   

 

 

I think Lexi's move is about as good as you can get to visualizing the force, power and speed of this move.   

 

 

It looks like you are getting there with it coach, but maybe need more up and around with speed doing it.  Hope this helps, but sorry if it does not.  

 

 

Thanks Cipher. I went out at lunch today and attempted the drill with more speed and a jump feel to it.

 

 

 

Not much more speed and the jump is happening too late. I'm actually feeling a hard pull to the left and behind me on the follow thru when I do make solid contact.

 

I made some what felt like 3/4 swings doing this drill and was pleasantly surprised how much lower the ball flight was. Also traveled about the same distance as my full swing. Shouldn't be surprised with the hands being ahead and the arms extending more...duh.

post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjimsc View Post
 

 

Thanks Cipher. I went out at lunch today and attempted the drill with more speed and a jump feel to it.

 

Not much more speed and the jump is happening too late. I'm actually feeling a hard pull to the left and behind me on the follow thru when I do make solid contact.

 

I made some what felt like 3/4 swings doing this drill and was pleasantly surprised how much lower the ball flight was. Also traveled about the same distance as my full swing. Shouldn't be surprised with the hands being ahead and the arms extending more...duh.

 

To the bold… yes… BUT these are the best videos of you doing this so far.

 

Keep at it. It's going well.

post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjimsc View Post
 

 

Thanks Cipher. I went out at lunch today and attempted the drill with more speed and a jump feel to it.

 

Not much more speed and the jump is happening too late. I'm actually feeling a hard pull to the left and behind me on the follow thru when I do make solid contact.

 

I made some what felt like 3/4 swings doing this drill and was pleasantly surprised how much lower the ball flight was. Also traveled about the same distance as my full swing. Shouldn't be surprised with the hands being ahead and the arms extending more...duh.

It looks better to me.  Left leg is not so bent at A7.  Looks like you are starting to get some of the "up" with the "out/around".

 

One more thing I feel with this as well is the tension along my left side above my hip up to the side of my ribs.  You can really feel the tensile type stretching especially in slow partial swings when doing this correctly.

post #44 of 58
Thread Starter 

Thanks Erik and Nathan. I might be stuck working on this indoors the rest of the week since it will ONLY be in the mid to low 50's down here. ;-)

 

Sorry, that was mean.

post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjimsc View Post
 

Thanks Erik and Nathan. I might be stuck working on this indoors the rest of the week since it will ONLY be in the mid to low 50's down here. ;-)

 

Sorry, that was mean.

 

:mad: To the Penalty Box!!!!!!! :pound:

 

 

 

 

 

JK. Keep it up. :-D

post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjimsc View Post
 

Thanks Erik and Nathan. I might be stuck working on this indoors the rest of the week since it will ONLY be in the mid to low 50's down here. ;-)

 

Sorry, that was mean.

BAN HIM!!!   ;-)

post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

BAN HIM!!!   ;-)

 

+1 :mad:

 

:-P

post #48 of 58

I've been working on weight forward and getting the hips turned and high and without the butt coming off the wall as well.  I won't highjack your thread, but I thought I'd throw out there that currently for me to get good looking swings with good results I also have to feel, from around A5.5 or A6 down, like I'm almost yanking my left hip or left lower back to the upper deck down the left field line, maybe even foul.  I know from the video this isn't quite what's happening, but that's what it feels like when it's right for me too.

post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

I've been working on weight forward and getting the hips turned and high and without the butt coming off the wall as well.  I won't highjack your thread, but I thought I'd throw out there that currently for me to get good looking swings with good results I also have to feel, from around A5.5 or A6 down, like I'm almost yanking my left hip or left lower back to the upper deck down the left field line, maybe even foul.  I know from the video this isn't quite what's happening, but that's what it feels like when it's right for me too.

 

We often stand "down the third base line" from golfers and tell them to get to us (really, to a point above our heads) quickly in the downswing.

 

Your feel @mdl is generally a good one.

post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

We often stand "down the third base line" from golfers and tell them to get to us (really, to a point above our heads) quickly in the downswing.

 

Your feel @mdl is generally a good one.

 

That's good to hear!  I've been really encouraged with the results so far.  Have just started concentrating on this and with the irons I'm still struggling with getting only to the 3rd base coach, and not also above his head, and have been chunking some scoring irons and hooking some long irons.  But in the tourney I played Saturday I hit my long clubs better, and with more of a feeling of control and not just lucky timing that day, than I ever have.  Hit 11/14 fairways, mostly with my driver, some with my 2h, and 10 of those 11 were smooth bombs within ~5-8 yards left/right of my target.

 

Hijack over.

post #51 of 58
Thread Starter 

Video from this afternoon. Doing a little bit better with this drill as far as the "open" part at impact. Still need more speed.

The thrusting up part is happening waaay too late. The ball is halfway to the target by the time I get the up part going.

 

Funny thing is I am thinking about thrusting up as soon as I start my downswing and it's still too late. I guess I'll start thinking about it halfway into my backswing?? :hmm:

 

 

post #52 of 58

Don't kid yourself Jim - and by that, I mean it's getting better with each video. You're being too hard on yourself. Sometimes, for certain things or certain people, changes take lots of time.

post #53 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Don't kid yourself Jim - and by that, I mean it's getting better with each video. You're being too hard on yourself. Sometimes, for certain things or certain people, changes take lots of time.
Thanks Erik, you're right I know this takes time and this is by far the best drill I've done to get me to be more open. It just feels like I am jumping out of my shoes. a3_biggrin.gif
The ball doesn't lie though. The ball contact and flight are improved.
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjimsc View Post


Thanks Erik, you're right I know this takes time and this is by far the best drill I've done to get me to be more open. It just feels like I am jumping out of my shoes. a3_biggrin.gif
The ball doesn't lie though. The ball contact and flight are improved.

Great stuff Jim, I think it looks great.  This seems to be a very hard one for many to get and to my eyes you are getting better and better with it as well.   Keep at it!   Not bad for a guy who has the time to practice in year round great weather...:-P;-) 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (coachjimsc)