or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › Do golf shoes really need spikes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do golf shoes really need spikes? - Page 6

post #91 of 110

A good friend I play golf with always played with a basketball low cut sneaker. Then one rainy day he slipped walking down a steep tee box slope tore the upper leg leg muscles from the tendons attached at his knee cap. Over a month in bed and slow recovery he swears he will never play without some form of a spiked shoe again. Ouch!

post #92 of 110

Well some conditions it doesn't really matter much. I played yesterday, and a lot of the left over grass trimmings, wet, got stuck between the grooves on my spikeless shoe. It wouldn't matter if i had spikes on anyways, the grass would have stuck, in that situation, no way your keeping your balance. I've seen Phil use a tee to clean his cleats he wears before, so its not just a plastic spike, or spikeless shoe problem. The next hole, i forgot to check, and my back foot almost flew out from under neat me. It was a bad swing, but i almost wiffed the ball with the loss of balance. Over swang, poor weight distribution, and clogged up golf shoes.

 

As for falling, i've slipped on wet grass, and concrete in golf spikes before, so there not all that much safer in certain conditions. I just like spikeless because my feat don't hurt.

post #93 of 110

spikes for me, please.  i impart so much force to the ground on my downswing that i actually slow down the earths rotation for a split second, so i need the extra traction of a spike.

post #94 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Well some conditions it doesn't really matter much. I played yesterday, and a lot of the left over grass trimmings, wet, got stuck between the grooves on my spikeless shoe. It wouldn't matter if i had spikes on anyways, the grass would have stuck, in that situation, no way your keeping your balance. I've seen Phil use a tee to clean his cleats he wears before, so its not just a plastic spike, or spikeless shoe problem. The next hole, i forgot to check, and my back foot almost flew out from under neat me. It was a bad swing, but i almost wiffed the ball with the loss of balance. Over swang, poor weight distribution, and clogged up golf shoes.

 

As for falling, i've slipped on wet grass, and concrete in golf spikes before, so there not all that much safer in certain conditions. I just like spikeless because my feat don't hurt.

 

none of my feats have ever hurt..they've always been happy moments.

post #95 of 110

BTW, if you have a really "grassy" day on the course, you can also just take your club brush and give the cleats a good brushing to clear the grass off.  A little less tedious than using a tee.

post #96 of 110
For me yes! I have found they do work better for me at least. This could be a pretty subjective subject matter. All I can say is try playing in flat shoes in the wet... That's not fun!
post #97 of 110
Hey bogey guy, I'm in Colonie!
post #98 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Hey bogey guy, I'm in Colonie!

 

Very local! I am up right near Saratoga myself right now. Where have you been playing recently? I have only been out 5 times this year. Last course I played was Saratoga State Park. Playing National next week then heading down to the Island to play.

post #99 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogey Guy View Post

Very local! I am up right near Saratoga myself right now. Where have you been playing recently? I have only been out 5 times this year. Last course I played was Saratoga State Park. Playing National next week then heading down to the Island to play.

I usually play Town of Colonie, Schenectady muni, or Sycamore down in Ravena near where I work. I go to Clifton Park a lot too.

I play the state park course in Saratoga probably 4 or 5 times a summer, I absolutely love that course. National is a little out of my price range for me...
post #100 of 110

You better wear some type of spikes in the moist (particularly in the winter) Pacific Northwest or you will be spending time on your butt when walking up or down steep tee and green sides.

post #101 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

I usually play Town of Colonie, Schenectady muni, or Sycamore down in Ravena near where I work. I go to Clifton Park a lot too.

I play the state park course in Saratoga probably 4 or 5 times a summer, I absolutely love that course. National is a little out of my price range for me...

I love town of colonie. A wonderful course along with western turnpike I played as well. The state park is great for its scenery and tranquility but the course can be pretty boring if played often. I have already played it twice and I think Saratoga Lake Golf if more fun. I have not played national yet this year but I am later this week. Have you ever played Ballston CC? Use to be a member there but I got away from the whole CC scene years back...
post #102 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogey Guy View Post

I love town of colonie. A wonderful course along with western turnpike I played as well. The state park is great for its scenery and tranquility but the course can be pretty boring if played often. I have already played it twice and I think Saratoga Lake Golf if more fun. I have not played national yet this year but I am later this week. Have you ever played Ballston CC? Use to be a member there but I got away from the whole CC scene years back...

No, I've never played Ballston, I have played Saratoga Lake, just once. I pretty much only remember the last hole. I seem to remember a lot of the holes being narrow tho, right?
post #103 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

No, I've never played Ballston, I have played Saratoga Lake, just once. I pretty much only remember the last hole. I seem to remember a lot of the holes being narrow tho, right?

Ballston CC is a very challenging course similar to Saratoga Lake. Very narrow and more iron play is needed in order to pay the course correctly.
post #104 of 110

Spikless shoes have come a long way.

post #105 of 110

On two memorable occasions when I was much younger I "threw myself down" playing on wet grass without spikes. Thankfully I didn't fall on a club or tee box marker and sustain an injury.

 

I'm older now and don't swing as hard, but I do have a knee and shoulder that give me problems. If spikes will help me with secure footing as to avoid aggravating existing issues then they are worth the money.

 

Put me down for "yes -- we need spikes."

post #106 of 110

I played in the rain on Saturday in the True Stealths and had no issues with traction.  I have had issues in the past with spikes (Adidas) where the spikes clog up with grass and I lose traction. 

post #107 of 110

I have changed my tone and went "sort of" spikeless.  The last two times I've played(both were very dry conditions, though) I have worn my adidas trail runners which have a pretty aggressive "tread" and had no slippage issues and my feet were much more comfortable.  Bonuses...they leave less prints on the greens, my feet don't hurt, and these types of shoes are usually cheaper than golf shoes.

 

post #108 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo View Post

I miss the clickedy click sound of metal spikes walking across the parking lot towards the club house. When I was just a kid playing with my dad I used to love that sound. When I got my first pair as a teen it always reminded me of those days.

 

Me too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › Do golf shoes really need spikes?