Here's the scoop ...
1. Bubba's 9 iron loft (approx 42.5 degrees ) is like yesteryear's 7 iron (42 degrees). Sweeping the ball at impact at the same effective loft (42.5) with a very good average male clubhead swing speed would carry the ball in the air approximately 150 yards. Bubba exceeds that with 2 thru 4.
2. Bubba further delofts his irons at impact due to the steepnest of his swing arc changing actual impact loft somewhere between a 6 to 5 iron.
3. Bubba is 6'-3" with an above average male swing arc and with very above average clubhead speed also adding additional distance over the "average" very good to excellent male player ... every 1 mph increase in clubhead speed adds approx. 3+ yards.
4. Finally, Bubba has strong and very fast hands / wrist release assisting in building very above average clubhead speed at bam - impact! Keep in mind, the ball is only on the clubface for 6 to 8 ten-thousanths of a second.
5. All the above combine makes Bubba one of the longest players on tour and pounds the pill a country mile ............ o
Bottomline, play within yourself and your own yardages. Remember, it's not how 'far'; it's how 'many' at scoring time.
Fairways and 'middle' of the greens plus ...