or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › square to the arc (from Roy)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

square to the arc (from Roy) - Page 7

post #109 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post

I don't claim that seeing four knuckles necessarily leads to no forearm rotation. Sure, golfers can show four knuckles and have any manner of backswing. What I said was that there is no hope of my keeping square along all of the 225 degree arc if I don't show all four knuckles. This requirement, along with the proper placement of my right hand, and the required manner of takeaway, allows my to keep square to the arc.

 

I don't believe you.

 

Your 225 degree estimate speaks to that - if the shaft is traveling 225 degrees, your left arm is traveling about 225 degrees too.

 

The only way for the shaft and your left arm to get out of line would be to rotate the left arm!

Golf Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #110 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post


I don't claim that seeing four knuckles necessarily leads to no forearm rotation. Sure, golfers can show four knuckles and have any manner of backswing. What I said was that there is no hope of my keeping square along all of the 225 degree arc if I don't show all four knuckles. This requirement, along with the proper placement of my right hand, and the required manner of takeaway, allows my to keep square to the arc.

 

Let's try to make this more simple.

 

Do you see any players on tour that keep the face square to the arc throughout the entire backswing?

post #111 of 115
Iacas's says that "grip strength is irrelevant," but how could that be true? Hands rotated on the grip too far counter-clockwise at setup promotes forearm roll on the backswing, while very far clockwise inhibits roll. The forearms start off rolled counter-clockwise in the former case, and rolled clockwise in the latter. Am I wrong?

My grip has the hands at setup very far clockwise relative to neutral, causing my forearms to be pre-rolled clockwise; this pre-roll is what allows me to take my club face back 225 degrees square to the arc without additional roll.
post #112 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post

Iacas's says that "grip strength is irrelevant," but how could that be true? Hands rotated on the grip too far counter-clockwise at setup promotes forearm roll on the backswing, while very far clockwise inhibits roll. The forearms start off rolled counter-clockwise in the former case, and rolled clockwise in the latter. Am I wrong?

 

Yes, you are wrong. You'd have to literally grip the club with your forearm SUPER rotated already to keep the leading edge square to the arc. Your left thumb (assuming a righty) would have to be under the grip rather than on top of it. That would be a terrible grip that's likely employed by precisely zero good players.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post

My grip has the hands at setup very far clockwise relative to neutral, causing my forearms to be pre-rolled clockwise; this pre-roll is what allows me to take my club face back 225 degrees square to the arc without additional roll.

 

Nope. You've still got some bad math going on here. Again, the clubface is inline with your left arm at the start of the swing (address position). For it to move 225 degrees, your left arm has to move 225 degrees. That's not happening.

 


 

Let's do this: let's stop posting in this thread until you can post a video. Okay?

 

Thanks.

 

The only exception: you can directly answer @mvmac's question: what PGA Tour players keep the clubface square to the arc (if any) during the entire backswing?

post #113 of 115
I made several attempts today to make an iPhone video of my swing, but none of the takes would clearly reveal anything of relevance to our discussion. Ironically, one great benefit was derived from my attempts: my ball-striking was better than ever, because of the extra attention I paid to making sure I didn't rotate my forearms in order to provide solid evidence of my claims to forum readers.

I now have greater confidence in the validity of the square to the arc swing than ever before.

Note: I absolutely do NOT think good players should try the square swing, because release is much less fluid than with the orthodox swing. However, for higher handicappers who cannot make consistently decent ball strikes, and for whom club head speed is less important than simply being able to hit the ball square most of the time, I recommend the square swing.

By the way, my scores are usually between 90 and 94.
post #114 of 115
If the condition for posting is that I post a video, I suppose I could make a video, but as I've already said, I tried, and no decent video resulted. Cynics will feel free to suppose that I made a video and to my great surprise, saw my forearms rotating, and don't dare post it , lest I be ridiculed.

I will not post in the future, but will continue to try to keep my forearms from rotating. Even if I really am falling short of a perfect square swing, the attempt at it has improved my ball-striking. And, isn't that really what this forum is about, improving each individual's swing?
post #115 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post

If the condition for posting is that I post a video, I suppose I could make a video, but as I've already said, I tried, and no decent video resulted. Cynics will feel free to suppose that I made a video and to my great surprise, saw my forearms rotating, and don't dare post it , lest I be ridiculed.

I will not post in the future, but will continue to try to keep my forearms from rotating. Even if I really am falling short of a perfect square swing, the attempt at it has improved my ball-striking. And, isn't that really what this forum is about, improving each individual's swing?

 

Absolutely and it's good that the feeling works for you. We just don't want other people reading these posts, or even you getting mixed up, into thinking that square to the arc actually happens. And even if you could do it, it's not a swing you would want to use to hit a golf ball.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips

Golf Gear mentioned in this thread:

TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › square to the arc (from Roy)