or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Ben Hogan's "Secret" does anyone really know what it is?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ben Hogan's "Secret" does anyone really know what it is? - Page 2

post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

And another player in the "I know Hogan's secret" is the new downloadable from SiTD - "Most Powerful Move in Golf"

 

Now if only I can wrap my head around applying such a strange concept to my swing next time I'm practicing... undecided.gif



Jackie Burke said Ben Hogan had about 500 secrets, I know that there are at least 3 things he has shared with me that I would consider more worthy of a 'secret' book than anything else out there.

Most Powerful Move is my tape, and I never considered using the name Ben Hogan or Secret anywhere near the title. I believe this move is in such diverse and timeless proven actions as Hogan, Boros, Miller Barber, Fred Couples and some young guns out there now...with less 'cookie cutter' looking actions. 

post #20 of 45
It is a secret. If he wanted everyone to know, he would have told them. He wanted people to figure it out thereselves.
post #21 of 45

I thought it was pretty well established that the secret is that there IS NO SECRET.


Edited by Shorty - 3/16/11 at 5:43am
post #22 of 45
Thread Starter 

post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinayers View Post

Jackie Burke said Ben Hogan had about 500 secrets, I know that there are at least 3 things he has shared with me that I would consider more worthy of a 'secret' book than anything else out there.

Most Powerful Move is my tape, and I never considered using the name Ben Hogan or Secret anywhere near the title. I believe this move is in such diverse and timeless proven actions as Hogan, Boros, Miller Barber, Fred Couples and some young guns out there now...with less 'cookie cutter' looking actions. 


Hi Martin, "another player" in the phrase I used was meant as-in the concept in the video rather than you specifically. I'm sure you knew that but I wanted to clarify. ;)

 

That you chose not to try and cash in on Hogan and that he's only mentioned for a split section in the 1h:27m video itself goes to show that you, Elk and the SiTD team believe in the concept itself rather than the ability to name-drop it into popularity.

post #24 of 45

Thanks for that clarification, you have it spot on. :)

post #25 of 45

Hogan stated in an interview that he was much better before the accident than after the accident.  It appears Middlecoff had his own opinion on that subject.  Watch the videos and you will the difference.

post #26 of 45

I just finished reading an e-book on Hogans secret.  The author claims "the secret" was fully developed post-accident and could not be seen in his demonstration swings only during his tournament play.  While many suggest that his secret had to do with his wrists and grip this author claims the real secret is that Hogan would initiate his backswing with a slight "bump" to the right but then shift his weight and hips to the left (almost stack and tilt) by the top of his backswing.  According to the author this pre-setting of the hips eliminated Hogans need to shift during the downswing which he claims was the only way Hogan could be as consistent as he was because the move placed his body in a perfect position to make contact with the ball from his setup on the backswing.  He then explains that this isn't a reverse pivot as Hogan never shifted back to his right, he just didn't shift as far forward during his downswing as he claims he did in his books and videos. 

 

In looking at the videos of Hogans later years (post accident) he does appear to shift as the author suggests but I couldn't find enough video to say with any certainty.  Has anyone else read this or seen Hogan perform this left shift during his backswing?

post #27 of 45

I think his secret was hitting alot of golf balls and practicing his ass off.  For the hook issue he didn't allow the right had to crossover well after hitting the ball which keeps the face square for a longer time.

post #28 of 45

Everyone knows his secret was ginger ale. Buy stock in Canada Dry, Schweppes, and Seagram's!

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I just finished reading an e-book on Hogans secret.  The author claims "the secret" was fully developed post-accident and could not be seen in his demonstration swings only during his tournament play.  While many suggest that his secret had to do with his wrists and grip this author claims the real secret is that Hogan would initiate his backswing with a slight "bump" to the right but then shift his weight and hips to the left (almost stack and tilt) by the top of his backswing.  According to the author this pre-setting of the hips eliminated Hogans need to shift during the downswing which he claims was the only way Hogan could be as consistent as he was because the move placed his body in a perfect position to make contact with the ball from his setup on the backswing.  He then explains that this isn't a reverse pivot as Hogan never shifted back to his right, he just didn't shift as far forward during his downswing as he claims he did in his books and videos. 

 

In looking at the videos of Hogans later years (post accident) he does appear to shift as the author suggests but I couldn't find enough video to say with any certainty.  Has anyone else read this or seen Hogan perform this left shift during his backswing?



Hey newtogolf! We haven't talked in a while. I haven't seen any left shift. I'll be looking into this. What e-book did you read?

 

post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I just finished reading an e-book on Hogans secret.  The author claims "the secret" was fully developed post-accident and could not be seen in his demonstration swings only during his tournament play.  While many suggest that his secret had to do with his wrists and grip this author claims the real secret is that Hogan would initiate his backswing with a slight "bump" to the right but then shift his weight and hips to the left (almost stack and tilt) by the top of his backswing.  According to the author this pre-setting of the hips eliminated Hogans need to shift during the downswing which he claims was the only way Hogan could be as consistent as he was because the move placed his body in a perfect position to make contact with the ball from his setup on the backswing.  He then explains that this isn't a reverse pivot as Hogan never shifted back to his right, he just didn't shift as far forward during his downswing as he claims he did in his books and videos. 

 

In looking at the videos of Hogans later years (post accident) he does appear to shift as the author suggests but I couldn't find enough video to say with any certainty.  Has anyone else read this or seen Hogan perform this left shift during his backswing?


Read the "secret" book too -- the straightening of the right leg helping keep the pivot more centered although the author may not have put it in those words. Will look at VJ Trolio's book again.

 

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongballGer View Post

He revealed his secret in a lifetime article. It´s the cupping of the left wrist at the top of the backswing which enabled him to hit his famous "Hogan Fade".


It was published in Life magazine and I believe it was called pronation.

 

BEN HOGAN'S SECRET: PRONATION PLUS TWO ADJUSTMENTS

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1130032/index.htm

post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan Project View Post



Hey newtogolf! We haven't talked in a while. I haven't seen any left shift. I'll be looking into this. What e-book did you read?

 


This! Would love to buy and read it! a1_smile.gif

 

EDIT: Think I found it. VJ Trolio's "Final Missing Piece". Seems pretty steep for an eBook when the video on the page seems to show what it is anyway?

 

post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongballGer View Post

He revealed his secret in a lifetime article. It´s the cupping of the left wrist at the top of the backswing which enabled him to hit his famous "Hogan Fade".



Player illustrates it here in his comparison with Tiger's old swing.

 

post #34 of 45

I started to read that ebook and gave it a shove quickly.  So totally off the wall.

post #35 of 45

his real secret was that he had the best recipe for a good jewish orange cake.......seriously, the rabbi told me.

post #36 of 45
I think we all have our own swing secrets....he just knew what his was.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Ben Hogan's "Secret" does anyone really know what it is?