or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Liked AP1 better than AP2 !!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Liked AP1 better than AP2 !!!!

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Not that I am going to buy yet another new set, but I compared Titleist AP1 and AP2 at a demo day, and although the sales guys told me the AP2 is made for my hc range, I hit the AP1 better.

 

Also the forged feel of the AP2 isn't as soft as like Mizuno's ...... so there isn't a lot of difference between the AP1 and AP2 .......... only when you want to feel a difference knowing that you have the AP2 in your hands ...... but else .....

 

Are there more low cappers using the AP1 instead of the advised AP2 ? 

post #2 of 26

I find that there is a pretty big difference between the two in terms of trajectory, forgiveness and feel.

The AP2s are slightly softer and easier to work for me, but it seems like you feel the AP1s are more of your type.

post #3 of 26

AP1s are a great club, probably my favorite GI cast club (favorite GI club is the MX-200).  If there had been no MX-200s when I was shopping for GI irons last year I probably would have gone with the AP1s.

post #4 of 26

Ben Curtis uses AP1 irons.

If a British Open Champion can use them why shouldn't anyone else?  :-)

post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post

Not that I am going to buy yet another new set, but I compared Titleist AP1 and AP2 at a demo day, and although the sales guys told me the AP2 is made for my hc range, I hit the AP1 better.

 

Also the forged feel of the AP2 isn't as soft as like Mizuno's ...... so there isn't a lot of difference between the AP1 and AP2 .......... only when you want to feel a difference knowing that you have the AP2 in your hands ...... but else .....

 

Are there more low cappers using the AP1 instead of the advised AP2 ? 



Usually when a guy in the proshop suggest something it leads to me walking away. The only suggestions in the past few years that were even remotely useful were from women. They tend to be better listeners and can tell the difference between a poser and a player (I'm somewhere in the middle).

post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

Usually when a guy in the proshop suggest something it leads to me walking away. The only suggestions in the past few years that were even remotely useful were from women. They tend to be better listeners and can tell the difference between a poser and a player (I'm somewhere in the middle).


That is a bit what I thought when hitting both ...... Titleist is kinda marketing the AP2 for the better avid player 0-12 and the AP1 for 6-24, but as I saw it the AP1 is more like for the same 0 to maybe 18 orso.

 

The difference in feel is more between the ears than actually the case, anyway with none of the so called butter irons I about never had the butter feel, so for me it is about meaningless to go for forged.

 

AP1 means larger forgiveness, maybe a little more height on shots (which is actually 98% a PLUS) ........ don't know how many amateurs will tell you they can apply more backspin on a penetrating low shot, most of them CANNOT !!!!

 

I practice a lot form mats, so a none forged iron, might keep their specs longer .......

 

For the time being ...... I am quite fond with my Cobra S2, but I might buy the AP1 as soon as the 912 AP1 is coming along ,,,,,,

 

post #7 of 26

I actually prefer the ap2. I like the playability of the ap2. the ap1 is forgiving, but I can't work the ball as much as I would like. The only reason I have the tm r9 tp irons is because it was almost $300 cheaper than the ap2. If I had the money, I probably would of gone with the ap2's.

 

and the workers suggesting one club over another are just trying to sell you to a certain club. he doesn't know your game, so how could he possibly know what club is good for you. you just have to try different clubs and figure it out yourself.

post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4fun12 View Post

I actually prefer the ap2. I like the playability of the ap2. the ap1 is forgiving, but I can't work the ball as much as I would like. 


 

Yet they are good enough for a British Open winner.......

Hmmmmm.

All this talk about "workability" makes me think that peope read a little too much sales literature.

post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post




 

Yet they are good enough for a British Open winner.......

Hmmmmm.

All this talk about "workability" makes me think that peope read a little too much sales literature.

 

I am just speaking for myself. I'm not speaking for someone who won the british open. I am giving my own opinion on how I feel about these two golf clubs.

 

and why is it so bad for someone to read info about a certain club and not take it to be the right info? I'm sure golf company's aren't going to lie about their product to people. some people need the help on deciding what club to pick. and if reading up on some reviews helps, go for it.
 

 

post #10 of 26

If you are looking for an iron set for around that price I would seriously suggest looking at Mizuno. I believe someone made a comment about cast holding up better than forged, and that is absolutely false.

 

If you are that serious about buying new clubs I would go with forged for two reasons. First, you should be getting the clubs fitted for you or else the only gain you are truly getting is a mental boost. Second, if you decide to get fitted, you will have forged clubs which can be bent several times to the loft/lie you want them to be. With cast you simply cannot do that.

 

I would take a look at Mizuno's new irons:

Game improvement set:

JPX 800 it has a decently thin topline for a game improvement club and the ball just jumps off of the face.

 

"Players" irons:

MP 52/53, almost the same clubs the 52s and the 53s they provide a ton of forgiveness with some workability

 

MP58, almost the exact same club as the AP1, but with a little more workability due to the size of the club face (slightly shorter)

 

 

I was dead set on buying the AP1s until I hit the Mizunos, and I'm glad I chose Mizuno they make a great set of clubs

post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4fun12 View Post



 

I am just speaking for myself. I'm not speaking for someone who won the british open. I am giving my own opinion on how I feel about these two golf clubs.

 

and why is it so bad for someone to read info about a certain club and not take it to be the right info? I'm sure golf company's aren't going to lie about their product to people. some people need the help on deciding what club to pick. and if reading up on some reviews helps, go for it.
 

 



I think the point was more in the fact of people using the word "workability" considering that most golfers can't actually work the ball. So most golfers take the term "workability" from literature and claim that's why they like one set over the other. Whether you can work the ball or not I don't know but the majority of people playing golf can't work the ball no matter what clubs they are playing.

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4fun12 View Post


 

and why is it so bad for someone to read info about a certain club and not take it to be the right info? I'm sure golf company's aren't going to lie about their product to people. some people need the help on deciding what club to pick. and if reading up on some reviews helps, go for it.
 

 

Because when this reading is not done selectively, it perpetuates myth and untruths which are the cancer of golfing forums.

For example:

1) OEM shafts are "crap"

2) Forged irons have superior "feel" to cast irons

3) It is not possible to "work" the ball with GI irons

4) Most pros use "players"' irons

 

These are just statements that are parroted and repeated and despite evidence to the contrary, people refuse to believe otherwise, thinking that it implies authority and knowledge.

They'll walk into a golf shop and strike up a conversation with an attendant, saying thay love the "workability" of the AP2, but appreciate tye "forgiveness" of the AP1, having never hit either.

 

Here we have a thread where the OP says that he is surprised that he prefers a club designed for his particular skill level, but we find out that players at the highest level of the game also like that club.

What more information do we need?  If you like it, great.

It's like threads where people claim that Pro V1s fly further than other balls - again, nonsense - or that such and such a driver is more "accurate" than others.  Then we have people demanding to know what shaft Tiger is playing, as if it's going to suit them.

 

I enjoy reading the reviews of clubs that others have written, and have made some decisions based upon those reviews.

I draw the line where people repeat others' findings and mix them up with marketing BS and use this to advise others, when in many cases you can be pretty sure that the person has never seen one of these clubs, let alone done testing extensive enough to form an opinion.  New golfers become confused, and when they are 3 weeks into the game, they have their heads filled with BS about forged irons "feeling softer" etc. and then they actually claim it to be true lest they be exposed as emperors without clothes.
 

 

post #13 of 26


I wouldn't say that, but maybe it depends on the vintage.

 

 post-93643-12674854955416_thumb.jpg  mizuno_mp58_back_angle.jpg

 

 

 

titleist_ap1_iron_address.jpg1013935.jpg  Titleist_AP1_02.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD616 View Post

 

MP58, almost the exact same club as the AP1, but with a little more workability due to the size of the club face (slightly shorter)

 

post #14 of 26

Give this man some thread points!!!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post



Because when this reading is not done selectively, it perpetuates myth and untruths which are the cancer of golfing forums.

For example:

1) OEM shafts are "crap"

2) Forged irons have superior "feel" to cast irons

3) It is not possible to "work" the ball with GI irons

4) Most pros use "players"' irons

 

These are just statements that are parroted and repeated and despite evidence to the contrary, people refuse to believe otherwise, thinking that it implies authority and knowledge.

They'll walk into a golf shop and strike up a conversation with an attendant, saying thay love the "workability" of the AP2, but appreciate tye "forgiveness" of the AP1, having never hit either.

 

Here we have a thread where the OP says that he is surprised that he prefers a club designed for his particular skill level, but we find out that players at the highest level of the game also like that club.

What more information do we need?  If you like it, great.

It's like threads where people claim that Pro V1s fly further than other balls - again, nonsense - or that such and such a driver is more "accurate" than others.  Then we have people demanding to know what shaft Tiger is playing, as if it's going to suit them.

 

I enjoy reading the reviews of clubs that others have written, and have made some decisions based upon those reviews.

I draw the line where people repeat others' findings and mix them up with marketing BS and use this to advise others, when in many cases you can be pretty sure that the person has never seen one of these clubs, let alone done testing extensive enough to form an opinion.  New golfers become confused, and when they are 3 weeks into the game, they have their heads filled with BS about forged irons "feeling softer" etc. and then they actually claim it to be true lest they be exposed as emperors without clothes.
 

 



 

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

They'll walk into a golf shop and strike up a conversation with an attendant, saying thay love the "workability" of the AP2, but appreciate tye "forgiveness" of the AP1, having never hit either.
 

HAHAHA!!

 

My favourite irons have low forgiveness, because I favour form forging over function.

post #16 of 26

well, everyone has their opinions. no point in arguing about it.
 


when I first started to get serious about golf, I did all the reading I could on different golf clubs and why I need this bounce or why a hybrid would be a better choice over a 3-iron and so on. now.....doing all that reading and actually trying different club combos on the course will be different depending on the person. I find it easier with a hybrid instead of a 3-iron. I also find it easier to "work" the ball with the tm r9 tp irons rather than my old r7 irons.

 

about the pro v1's. few months back, I played a few rounds with the callaway tour is/ix and found that I do hit the pro v1 a little further. sometimes a club length difference on my approach shot. I just don't read about golf stuff, I go out and find out for myself. but reading about these little questions many golfers have is always a great place to start.

 

for the people who go into a shop and talk about how they love a certain club because of this and that having not tried it out, I don't have anything to say but who cares. It's not me. I am not about to start talking about something I don't know about. I know I can work the ball better with the ap2 over the ap1 because I have played rounds with them.

 

your last paragraph you wrote......how can you possibly know where to draw the line between someones "real" review on a club he has tried or someones rant about a club he has never hit before in his life? it's the internet. hell, I could be bullshitting you right now and you would never know. I just don't see how you can judge a review on being real or just someone repeating what someone has already said. the internet is all about plagiarizing. that's why all professors I have ever had to write a paper for has always put, no internet sources. because the internet is to unreliable.

post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 

Well ......
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4fun12 View Post

I'm sure golf company's aren't going to lie about their product to people. some people need the help on deciding what club to pick. and if reading up on some reviews helps, go for it.


....... actually all they do is lying about their products !

 

post #18 of 26
Quote:
O I just don't see how you can judge a review on being real or just someone repeating what someone has already said. the internet is all about plagiarizing. 


You look at the quality of what has been written and how detailed it is, how things are quantified, and what methodology has been used.  You read between the lines.

 

On the other hand, if I read  comments by someone about, for example a forged iron's "feel", notice that their handicap is listed here as "12" and notice other posts about how they take "breakfast balls" and drop a ball near where it went out of bounds to "save time", you know that their comments are not worth reading, because they are deluding themselves about how they actually play this game.

I bought a Leupold rangefinder based on the reviews on this site (despite suspecting some level of sponsorship) without having ever seen one. Also, not being a shooter, I know nothing about their other optical products.  I respected and trust the person who wrote te review, and am really pleased with it.

On the other hand, as noted before, if I read someone who says that OEM shafts are "crap", I know that they are full of BS - despite the knowledge that a premium shaft can be of great benefit to a lot of golfers. When you get the blanket parroting, you know what's what.

The OP is symptomatic of the problem. FOUR exclamation marks after the statement "I like Ap1s better than AP2s"

That says it all.  What should be  a simple statement of fact becomes a confession which he can barely believe himself. And he's obviously  a legitimate golfer.

He prefers AP1 Curtis prefers AP1 Others prefer AP2 . My friend hated MP58 but loves MP63.  I like MP57 but not as much as MP60. I don't have to align my opinions against marketing crap like "grain flow" forging and "the sound of feel" nonsense.  Nor does anyone else. We only need to respect our own judgements and not require ourselves to buy what we are pushed to buy.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Liked AP1 better than AP2 !!!!