or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin) - Page 35

post #613 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Yes, it is a test of a theory.  Albeit, the Dan Plan comes off more as a contrived and narcissistic blog that is made possible by his trust fund than the test of the 10,000 hour theory.

 

He clearly has the funds to DROP OUT from the real world and play golf for 6 hours a day.  How is that "impressive"?  All of us at TST would likely do that if we didn't need our paychecks in order to take care of our homes, families, savings, etc.

 

99% of serious golfers have the WILLPOWER and DETERMINATION to quit their job and focus solely on their hobbies.  But only a handful are financially capable of doing so.  This does not make the handful any better than the majority who cannot devote 6 years to golf while not worrying about family, bills, etc.

 

Based on his tournament results I would whoop Dan's ass shooting 85-85-85 LOL.  But I wouldn't have a quip, because he already "quit his day job."

 

What difference does the financial situation make about this entire journey?

post #614 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

 

What difference does the financial situation make about this entire journey?

 

What he's saying is...Big freakin' whoop. If your daddy handed you enough money to quit your job and play golf 6 hours a day every day for 6 years, you'd probably be telling your boss where to go.

post #615 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

 

What difference does the financial situation make about this entire journey?

It makes all the difference actually.

 

Financing can make it POSSIBLE.

 

Or lack of financing can make it IMPOSSIBLE.

 

WANTING to go out and become a pro is not possible for most people, because it starts with having TIME.  Most people use TIME to earn money.  This MONEY ensures that they can eat, live, and raise a family.  Without a job, it would be impossible to finance a rather expensive habit in an effort to become good at it. What are we missing here?  Is there some giant lapse in this logic?  I digress.

 

As Slice says, all I'm doing is saying that everyone would have a Dan Plan if they had the money to do so.

 

Plus the last couple updates on his blog are: "OMG I fell in love," "OMG my new GF started a bakery!!" and "LOL I shot terribly at a tournament LMAO."  This guy is a total brat.  And a non-athlete if I might say so.

post #616 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

What he's saying is...Big freakin' whoop. If your daddy handed you enough money to quit your job and play golf 6 hours a day every day for 6 years, you'd probably be telling your boss where to go.

 

Again what difference does it make?  Many pros are where they are today due to the favorable financial situations they had when young.  Should there accomplishments be seen in a different light? 

 

Go hit nothing but 3 foot putts for 3 months 6 hours a day and tell you that you have the drive to play 10,000 hours in 6 years.

post #617 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

 

Again what difference does it make?  Many pros are where they are today due to the favorable financial situations they had when young.  Should there accomplishments be seen in a different light? 

 

Go hit nothing but 3 foot putts for 3 months 6 hours a day and tell you that you have the drive to play 10,000 hours in 6 years.

 

Absolutely. Wouldn't Tiger be even more impressive if he didn't grow up a Country Club kid?

 

And yes, I have the drive to work 8 hours a day, so I think I could putt 6 hours a day...I'll gladly trade. Hell, even with work I probably average 5-6 hours of chipping and putting practice a week. And that doesn't include ball striking and driving practice. Not to mention my actual rounds...

post #618 of 2074

Oh and look, according to his Wikipedia he is from an extremely wealthy family in NYC.  Sister is a doctor, father was a NYC banker, and his brother is a NYC banker.  Shocking!! OK that's the last bit of hate I will spit in this thread. 

post #619 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

 

Again what difference does it make?  Many pros are where they are today due to the favorable financial situations they had when young.  Should there accomplishments be seen in a different light? 

 

Go hit nothing but 3 foot putts for 3 months 6 hours a day and tell you that you have the drive to play 10,000 hours in 6 years.

You lost me at the part where you assumed he will EVER be a pro.  Comparing Dan to a kid who grew up rich and turned pro is comparing apples to oranges.

 

And yes, I imagine most golfers would rather golf all day out on the green than sit in an office.  Are you feeling ok?

post #620 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

And yes, I have the drive to work 8 hours a day, so I think I could putt 6 hours a day...I'll gladly trade.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

And yes, I imagine most golfers would rather golf all day out on the green than sit in an office.

 

DING DING

post #621 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

Absolutely. Wouldn't Tiger be even more impressive if he didn't grow up a Country Club kid?

 

And yes, I have the drive to work 8 hours a day, so I think I could putt 6 hours a day...I'll gladly trade. Hell, even with work I probably average 5-6 hours of chipping and putting practice a week. And that doesn't include ball striking and driving practice. Not to mention my actual rounds...

But could you putt from 3-5 feet for 6 hours.  I get bored putting for more than 10 minutes, I would much rather play.  Also you are getting paid to work 8 hours.  Would you putt for 6 hours a day for virtually no gain.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Oh and look, according to his Wikipedia he is from an extremely wealthy family in NYC.  Sister is a doctor, father was a NYC banker, and his brother is a NYC banker.  Shocking!! OK that's the last bit of hate I will spit in this thread. 

Again what does it matter? He has money.  News flash, he wouldn't be able to do this if he was broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

You lost me at the part where you assumed he will EVER be a pro.  Comparing Dan to a kid who grew up rich and turned pro is comparing apples to oranges.

 

And yes, most people would rather putt all day out on the golf course than sit in an office.  Are you feeling ok?

 

When did I say that?  I made a comparison to pros, which is hardly an assumption that he will go pro. 

post #622 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

But could you putt from 3-5 feet for 6 hours.

 

Sure. When I practice putting before and after a round, it's typically from 3-6 feet (Probably why putting is typically the best part of my game). Anywhere from an hour before to an hour after. If I didn't have a job, I'd have even more time to do that. AND take out the 4 hours for the round, and hell...I have most of my day to do whatever I want.

 

I've been playing guitar for almost 20 years...started when I was 10. You learn and get better by repetition. There were days where I spent over 10 hours practicing. I think I could putt for 6 hours with no job...

post #623 of 2074

If you'd like my opinion see my (numerous) posts above.

 

Maybe you should retire and go start the Tracksterplan.com

 

I'll make sure to donate c2_beer.gif

post #624 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

If you'd like my opinion see my (numerous) posts above.

 

Maybe you should retire and go start the Tracksterplan.com

 

I'll make sure to donate c2_beer.gif

 

I'll gladly do the Slice plan. Hell, I won't even quit my job and still dedicate 3 hours a day to practice if I get the donations. If I can't bypass Dan's current handicap in the same amount of hours, everyone who donated will get double their money back.

post #625 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

I'll gladly do the Slice plan. Hell, I won't even quit my job and still dedicate 3 hours a day to practice if I get the donations. If I can't bypass Dan's current handicap in the same amount of hours, everyone who donated will get double their money back.

HAh sounds like a ripe investment! That market's a BULL!!

post #626 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

If you'd like my opinion see my (numerous) posts above.

 

Maybe you should retire and go start the Tracksterplan.com

 

I'll make sure to donate c2_beer.gif

 

I'll gladly do the Slice plan. Hell, I won't even quit my job and still dedicate 3 hours a day to practice if I get the donations. If I can't bypass Dan's current handicap in the same amount of hours, everyone who donated will get double their money back.

 

In. Where do I sign up?

post #627 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

In. Where do I sign up?

 

If there's enough interest, I'll create a paypal account. a2_wink.gif

 

I have multiple advantageous and disadvantageous.

 

Advantages:

Not just starting

Way more athletic

Longer

 

Disadvantages:

Money

Not just starting (bad habits)

No personal instructor to follow me around all day 

post #628 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

If there's enough interest, I'll create a paypal account. a2_wink.gif

 

Can we lay odds? I know you've already promised to double our money, but I'm thinking odds could climb even higher. a3_biggrin.gif

post #629 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

Can we lay odds? I know you've already promised to double our money, but I'm thinking odds could climb even higher. a3_biggrin.gif

 

Sure, why not?

 

If this were serious, the person with the most financial interest would be Erik, as I'd probably be forking over half of my salary to him.

post #630 of 2074

If I hit the lotto, 5% of my portfolio would be filed under "Slice of Life Golf Investment - 200% ROI guaranteed - 6 year maturity"

 

e2_whistling.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)