or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin) - Page 44

post #775 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post
 

 

 

The icing on the cake was his penalty for an "airshot"... sorry Dan, single figure golfers don't have do airshots.

 

What is an airshot? I haven't heard that term before.

 

It sounds strange to say about someone who is living the life most of us would dream about, but I actually feel sorry for him. He's halfway through his project and nowhere near the level he would need to be at in order to seriously think about competing professionally. His driving is terrible (I can relate, but then again I haven't spent anywhere near 5,000 hours working on my game) and his play under pressure is spotty at best.

 

Plus, from the sound of his most recent posting, he is going through some personal issues as well. It wouldn't surprise me if he's starting to look at his last 3-4 years as "wasted" time. He's dedicated his life to this craft and he's no closer to being a professional than many of the guys right here on this forum. I still wish him the best, but my optimism for him is starting to fade.

post #776 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
 

Plus, from the sound of his most recent posting, he is going through some personal issues as well. It wouldn't surprise me if he's starting to look at his last 3-4 years as "wasted" time. He's dedicated his life to this craft and he's no closer to being a professional than many of the guys right here on this forum. I still wish him the best, but my optimism for him is starting to fade.

While this could be true ... it kind of surprises me.  I thought I understood the entire point of the exercise to be a bit of a science experiment.  It didn't seem like it would matter in even the slightest whether or not the experiement "succeeded."  The goal from the beginning (I thought) was to do the experiment and write a book, and the book was the real "craft he dedicated his life to."  But maybe he actually (somehow, miraculously) let himself believe he could succeed at this.

 

And I'm guessing "airshot" means "whiff." :)

post #777 of 2292

Drew, I think you are right about the stated goal of the project, but still....... How demoralizing would it be to spend 3+ years of your life on a craft and still be fairly mediocre at it?

post #778 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


And I'm guessing "airshot" means "whiff." :)

And I'm guessing "whiff" means "airshot" :)

Make an intentional swing at ball, miss ball but hit plenty of air. (1 Stroke Penalty)
post #779 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
 

Drew, I think you are right about the stated goal of the project, but still....... How demoralizing would it be to spend 3+ years of your life on a craft and still be fairly mediocre at it?

Easy answer:  Very.

 

There is another thing at play here for me too.  Everybody always talks about pro golfers with envy because they get to play golf for a living.  "I wish I could do that."  Well, not me.  I would be afraid that if I wsa doing it ... and HAD to do it ... every single day for work, it would cease to be as fun as it currently is.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post


And I'm guessing "whiff" means "airshot" :)

Make an intentional swing at ball, miss ball but hit plenty of air. (1 Stroke Penalty)

Yes.  Except, technically, its not a penalty stroke, its just a stroke.  Right?

post #780 of 2292

I love when this thread bubbles back up and am also feeling sorry for the guy - I do not believe his 4.1 index for a second, especially when looking at the stats posted at the bottom of the Statistics page on his website:

 

  • He's hitting 28% of fairways and an equal distribution left and right when missed.  In other words, he has no idea where his misses will be.
  • He's hitting 32% of greens in regulation, let's just call that 12 missed greens a round.  To keep a 4.1 index, of those 12 missed, he'd have to be getting up and down on those 12 missed 4 or 5 times a round. Note that his scrambling is only 25% and he's 4.5% from the bunker.  These statistics defy belief for a 4.1 index.
  • 0 Eagles

 

Time to stop fudging the numbers and face up to reality, Dan.

post #781 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskzoo View Post
 

I love when this thread bubbles back up and am also feeling sorry for the guy - I do not believe his 4.1 index for a second, especially when looking at the stats posted at the bottom of the Statistics page on his website:

 

  • He's hitting 28% of fairways and an equal distribution left and right when missed.  In other words, he has no idea where his misses will be.
  • He's hitting 32% of greens in regulation, let's just call that 12 missed greens a round.  To keep a 4.1 index, of those 12 missed, he'd have to be getting up and down on those 12 missed 4 or 5 times a round. Note that his scrambling is only 25% and he's 4.5% from the bunker.  These statistics defy belief for a 4.1 index.
  • 0 Eagles

 

Time to stop fudging the numbers and face up to reality, Dan.


Really? If those are his stats you're right it doesn't add up.

post #782 of 2292

Those stats are apparently from around July of last year, when he had around a 5.6 index, but they still don't hold up.  And I should have said he'd have to get up and down 7 or 8 times a round on those 12 missed greens, not 4 or 5. 

 

When he somehow gets to scratch, he can give me a call and I'll play him with my 6.7 straight up.

post #783 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


Yes.  Except, technically, its not a penalty stroke, its just a stroke.  Right?

True it's just a stroke, except technically it is not always a stroke :) the golfer has to have intent, you could have a "whiff" were you started your swing with intent but pulled out before reaching the ball (a shout of fore, general noise, dangerous to hit ahead etc)
No penalty :) and no stroke either in that instance.
The club head can go past the ball in this instance.
(I have just supplied a few excuses for a get out of jail card for anyone that likes to bend the rules)
post #784 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Easy answer:  Very.

 

There is another thing at play here for me too.  Everybody always talks about pro golfers with envy because they get to play golf for a living.  "I wish I could do that."  Well, not me.  I would be afraid that if I wsa doing it ... and HAD to do it ... every single day for work, it would cease to be as fun as it currently is.

 

Yes.  Except, technically, its not a penalty stroke, its just a stroke.  Right?

 

Maybe, but it would make for a great job........

 

......and then, you'd just have to find something else to do for fun!   ;-)

post #785 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

Maybe, but it would make for a great job........

 

......and then, you'd just have to find something else to do for fun!   ;-)

Maybe engineering would be my new passionate hobby. :beer:

post #786 of 2292
Maybe Dan can work on getting a REAL HC for fun :)
post #787 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskzoo View Post
 

I love when this thread bubbles back up and am also feeling sorry for the guy - I do not believe his 4.1 index for a second, especially when looking at the stats posted at the bottom of the Statistics page on his website:

 

  • He's hitting 28% of fairways and an equal distribution left and right when missed.  In other words, he has no idea where his misses will be.
  • He's hitting 32% of greens in regulation, let's just call that 12 missed greens a round.  To keep a 4.1 index, of those 12 missed, he'd have to be getting up and down on those 12 missed 4 or 5 times a round. Note that his scrambling is only 25% and he's 4.5% from the bunker.  These statistics defy belief for a 4.1 index.
  • 0 Eagles

 

Time to stop fudging the numbers and face up to reality, Dan.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskzoo View Post
 

Those stats are apparently from around July of last year, when he had around a 5.6 index, but they still don't hold up.  And I should have said he'd have to get up and down 7 or 8 times a round on those 12 missed greens, not 4 or 5. 

 

When he somehow gets to scratch, he can give me a call and I'll play him with my 6.7 straight up.

 

 

I never thought about stats before, but the way you describe how to use them now starts to make sense to me.

 

Plus according to various other threads, a 4 index should have a swing speed of about 104mph, have 3 full keys, carry a 4i about 190 yards, be able to draw any club, etc. etc.

post #788 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Maybe engineering would be my new passionate hobby. c2_beer.gif
What's wrong with Engineering, I'm an Engineer. LOL
a2_wink.gif
post #789 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgolfer View Post

What's wrong with Engineering, I'm an Engineer. LOL
a2_wink.gif

So is Golfingdad..... a1_smile.gif
post #790 of 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

So is Golfingdad..... a1_smile.gif
[/quote]

a3_biggrin.gif
post #791 of 2292

Wow, the swings from some of his latest videos look very mediocre indeed. Even if hes not a legit 4.1 still gives me hope i can get way way down from my 15 hehe

post #792 of 2292

Its kind of sad actually, but as stated the 10k hours is off anyway and also the age thing i think is hindering him the most. Its just so much easier to ingrain something in your system when you are younger.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)