or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to become a pro golfer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to become a pro golfer - Page 34

post #595 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamevanl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

I see that the CC that had granted Dan free playing privileges has opted not to extend that. He now has to pay for membership at a new course. Not sure, but it feels like his whole momentum seems to be stalling. Could be some money problems.......


He also hasn't updated his hcp or other stats on the website since the first of June. I did a quick GHIN lookup and see that his index is 5.4 as of 15 July. Pretty much unchanged from 1 June when it was 5.5. This summer is gonna tell a lot.......will he get significantly past that 5 hcp barrier that beats back so many of us?

No, he just played in a 3 day tournament and shot **pulls out calculator** 15+26+15= +56. He was 56 over par after 3 days! (87, 98, 87). Holy @^$#! He said he hit 3 fairways over 3 days.

Ouch
post #596 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamevanl View Post

No, he just played in a 3 day tournament and shot **pulls out calculator** 15+26+15= +56. He was 56 over par after 3 days! (87, 98, 87). Holy @^$#! He said he hit 3 fairways over 3 days.

Ugly....
post #597 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamevanl View Post

 

No, he just played in a 3 day tournament and shot **pulls out calculator** 15+26+15= +56. He was 56 over par after 3 days! (87, 98, 87). Holy @^$#! He said he hit 3 fairways over 3 days.

THis is the level anyone could have predicted when his first swing video was posted years ago.

The guy has absolutely ZERO athleticism.

post #598 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

THis is the level anyone could have predicted when his first swing video was posted years ago.
The guy has absolutely ZERO athleticism.

I have to agree. He's probably come close to maximizing his potential.
post #599 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Wish I had enough dough to retire for six years and play golf every day.  Dan is an internet exhibitionist who is living off of his inherited riches and puts on an "enlightened journey" front when we all know he is just a spoiled brat that retired at age 30 something to play golf every day.  Oooh Dan how manly and enlightened you are!! Tell me more about following your dream!  How much $ does it cost to follow your dream bud?  Living expenses for 6 years in Portland, OR?  Must not be cheap.

 

This guy is hogwash and will NEVER make it.  He is just "transitioning" into a daddy-funded early retirement.  What a brat.


What are you talking about.  Dan is the guy that can actually say he went through with the normal "bar" talk.  "Oh I could be as good as the pros if I played all the time" or "If I did nothing but golf I could be that good too."  He is trying something that has never been done before.  If you have been following from the start you would know this journey has never been about golf.  It's a test of the 10,000 hours to become an expert theory.  He chose golf because he had absolutely no experience at it.  He could have chosen bowling or tennis or poker.  The event wouldn't matter, it is a test of the theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamevanl View Post

 

No, he just played in a 3 day tournament and shot **pulls out calculator** 15+26+15= +56. He was 56 over par after 3 days! (87, 98, 87). Holy @^$#! He said he hit 3 fairways over 3 days.


In his defense on the 98 he took 3 shots at a wrong ball and carded an 11 on that hole.  Still it was pretty awful play but it sounded like a course where if you miss the fairway you are toast.  And 1 fairway a round isn't gonna cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

THis is the level anyone could have predicted when his first swing video was posted years ago.

The guy has absolutely ZERO athleticism.

I'm reminded of the thread where you said that one guy was driving 150 yards.  He went and got trackman data and it said he was hitting around 300.  Your track record of viewing swings and coming to correct conclusions is very poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post


I have to agree. He's probably come close to maximizing his potential.

I highly doubt that.  He is not even halfway done.  5000 hours at 5 hours a day would give you almost 3 years of golf still to be played and  practiced.  I'm hoping he can get down to scratch.

post #600 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post
  He is not even halfway done.  5000 hours at 5 hours a day would give you almost 3 years of golf still to be played and  practiced.  I'm hoping he can get down to scratch.

You have clearly never seen a scratch golfer.

post #601 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

You have clearly never seen a scratch golfer.

 Here we go again.  Do you enjoy eating your own tongue after you are wrong.  Like I have said earlier, your swing observations are usually very inaccurate compared to the actual result.  I'm going to guess that you didn't even think he would get to a 10 when this all started so I take it every milestone he reaches will be met with a "But he won't get to XX.X handicap" from you.

 

To answer your retort I do not believe that I have ever played with anyone who is scratch.  I have played with a girl golfer who plays college golf in the SEC that would be scratch using the women's rating and slope, but would probably be more like a 3 or 4 hcp from the men's ratings.

 

With that being said it you would actually be following his progress (which I am sure you are doing very intently :P) you would see that his handicap is where it is right now despite a terrible slump off the tee.  Watch some of his newer videos and check out his trackman data. 

post #602 of 1713
I see a lot of older golfers who play of 6-9 hcp. They are not impressive by swing or distance, but they are able to play high seventies to mid eighties 80% of their rounds. I also play in flights with scratch golfers (my pro and some friends). They are impressive and a totaly different league, no comparison what so ever. Dan looks more like the first kind of golfer. Lots of time at hand, loving the game and reaching the individual limits of a not so sporty kind of guy.
post #603 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

With that being said it you would actually be following his progress (which I am sure you are doing very intently :P) you would see that his handicap is where it is right now despite a terrible slump off the tee.  

 

I periodically check on Dan.  His experiment is interesting and I wish him no ill will.  He has been engaging in a bit of self-delusion, however, with his handicap. Admittedly, a handicap index is not a perfect measure of one's golf ability; it is merely a temporary snapshot of one's recent play.  Dan rarely records a score for handicap purposes.  No scores have been recorded for July to date and only six in June.  His tournament scores continue to be considerably worse than his every day play. 

post #604 of 1713

I was reading somewhere on here that a tournament adds a few strokes naturally with the nerves and what have you. I've never played in a tournamet. Well not since I was maybe 12 so I can't attest, but I know I play my best when I'm alone or with only one other. On a busy day on the course I start to get almost panicky about rate of play alone, can't imagine what tournament nerves would do to my game. Although I like to think I would just crush it!

post #605 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMullenCPA View Post

I was reading somewhere on here that a tournament adds a few strokes naturally with the nerves and what have you. I've never played in a tournamet. Well not since I was maybe 12 so I can't attest, but I know I play my best when I'm alone or with only one other. On a busy day on the course I start to get almost panicky about rate of play alone, can't imagine what tournament nerves would do to my game. Although I like to think I would just crush it!

 

I honestly don't think tourney conditions would hamper my game at all. I know it's easy to say that, but when it comes to sports, I've always done better under pressure. Even golf. 

post #606 of 1713

I suppose some of it depends on course setup for the tournament, that could definitely play a part. Last weekend my parents club had the club championship and we played the course the Fri before. I've been playing that course since I was a kid and it was brutal. I can honestly say it was the best I've ever played there and it was 5 strokes higher than my previous worst score through 2 seasons.  The high rough and fast greens destroyed us. Any approach that landed above the hole was a 3 putt if more than a few feet away. A guy in our group had a couple of 4 putts after hitting GIR if you count the ones that he rolled past the hole and on to the fringe.

post #607 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post


What are you talking about.  Dan is the guy that can actually say he went through with the normal "bar" talk.  "Oh I could be as good as the pros if I played all the time" or "If I did nothing but golf I could be that good too."  He is trying something that has never been done before.  If you have been following from the start you would know this journey has never been about golf.  It's a test of the 10,000 hours to become an expert theory.  He chose golf because he had absolutely no experience at it.  He could have chosen bowling or tennis or poker.  The event wouldn't matter, it is a test of the theory.

Yes, it is a test of a theory.  Albeit, the Dan Plan comes off more as a contrived and narcissistic blog that is made possible by his trust fund than the test of the 10,000 hour theory.

 

He clearly has the funds to DROP OUT from the real world and play golf for 6 hours a day.  How is that "impressive"?  All of us at TST would likely do that if we didn't need our paychecks in order to take care of our homes, families, savings, etc.

 

99% of serious golfers have the WILLPOWER and DETERMINATION to quit their job and focus solely on their hobbies.  But only a handful are financially capable of doing so.  This does not make the handful any better than the majority who cannot devote 6 years to golf while not worrying about family, bills, etc.

 

Based on his tournament results I would whoop Dan's ass shooting 85-85-85 LOL.  But I wouldn't have a quip, because he already "quit his day job."

post #608 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

 

Based on his tournament results I would whoop Dan's ass shooting 85-85-85 LOL.  But I wouldn't have a quip, because he already "quit his day job."

 

lol

 

Definitely had a chuckle at that...

post #609 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

I honestly don't think tourney conditions would hamper my game at all. I know it's easy to say that, but when it comes to sports, I've always done better under pressure. Even golf. 

 

Don't you need one first?

 

a3_biggrin.gif

 

(I've resorted to the "smack talk someone into coming on August 3" method.)

post #610 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Don't you need one first?

 

a3_biggrin.gif

 

(I've resorted to the "smack talk someone into coming on August 3" method.)

Wish I lived in the area, I'd show yall some Grandpa golf hitting 80% of fairways at a whopping distance of 225 yards.

post #611 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Don't you need one first?

 

a3_biggrin.gif

 

(I've resorted to the "smack talk someone into coming on August 3" method.)

 

Hey now, in all fairness, you've never seen me golf. You've seen me experiment on a course with your drills and a completely changed stance/swing/grip same day. Not exactly a fair base model. 

 

b2_tongue.gif

post #612 of 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Wish I lived in the area, I'd show yall some Grandpa golf hitting 80% of fairways at a whopping distance of 225 yards.

 

You sound like my buddy Mike. After my driver broke, I still out-drove him on just about every hole with either my 3-wood or hybrid. But he still beat me. a4_sad.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to become a pro golfer