or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Nickent is back!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nickent is back!

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

From what I understand, Dick’s has bought and resurrected the the Nickent Golf line. I just got a flyer from Golf Galaxy for a Nickent Demo Day to take place in a couple of weeks. I’ve always liked their Pipe putters and am interested to check out this new version.

 

pipedream_page_header.jpg

 

 

http://www.nickentgolf.net/newweb/index.shtml


Edited by JerseyThursday - 5/10/11 at 9:50am
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post

From what I understand, Dick’s has bought and resurrected the the Nickent Golf line. I just got a flyer from Golf Galaxy for a Nickent Demo Day to take place in a couple of weeks. I’ve always liked their Pipe putters and am interested to check out this new version.

 

pipedream_page_header.jpg

 

 

http://www.nickentgolf.net/newweb/index.shtml


 

King of Hybrids tag on a putter advertisement?

 

I checked out Golf Galaxy's website and I can't find anything on Nickent......strange.

 

It's funny that they invested so much money into an adjustable driver, it didn't take off, then they went bankrupt....now most manufacturers are selling adjustable drivers and the market is huge. I would be so pissed if I was a former employee

post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post




 

King of Hybrids tag on a putter advertisement?

 

I checked out Golf Galaxy's website and I can't find anything on Nickent......strange



Maybe that Pipe is a hybrid - you can clip a Swiffer cleaning pad on the bottom.

 

post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post





Maybe that Pipe is a hybrid - you can clip a Swiffer cleaning pad on the bottom.

 

LOVE STINKS! YEAH! YEAH!
 

( sorry, but the advertisements drive me mental for those Swiffer things )

post #5 of 27

"Nickent" as a word printed on the bottom of a club may be back and I think at least their initial line as a Dick's product will probably be pretty decent as they are in possession of some very good designs for club heads. However as soon as they must significantly Innovate from those designs I see this as becoming Just another once great line ruined by a big box store. 

 

The line of Nickent clubs that really started to take off were those designed by the creator of the legendary Tommy Armour 845 Irons. Without John Hoeflich I can see this line being a solid budget rehash of the old blueprints but not much more.

 

The reason this company went under had more to do with the financial collapse of the banking industry then anything else. Hopefully Dicks's didn't change too much.

post #6 of 27

Interesting trend with various big box golf and sports retailers snapping up various golf equipment manufacturers (or at least the trademarks, patents, etc). Dicks probably picked up the Nickent stuff pretty cheap.

post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl5150 View Post

Interesting trend with various big box golf and sports retailers snapping up various golf equipment manufacturers (or at least the trademarks, patents, etc). Dicks probably picked up the Nickent stuff pretty cheap.



From a retailers perspective its simple math. Company Y makes a putter that costs $35 to make. I want to sell putter X. I pay company Y $75 for putter X i then sell putter X for $100 making a profit of $25 on that item.

 

Now if i Own company Y then I can sell putter X for $85 and make even more profit while undercutting my competition so that I sell more of putter X.

 

This is of course assuming that quality stays the same and that of course has been a bad assumption with most of these companies now owned by retailers.

 

 

post #8 of 27

Nickent 6DX Series at Golf Galaxy on 5/20 and 5/21

The new Nickent line, designed by ?????, has its unveiling at Golf Galaxy.  Here's the link:

 

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/assets/images/_img/pgs/events/docs/nickent_weekend_flyer.pdf

 

I've been trying to find some new or good quality used 4DX or 5DX hybrids but it looks like they're getting scarce on the net.

 

 

post #9 of 27
Saw,the new nickent irons at Dicks yesterday. Solid look and the brushed nickel finish reminded me of the r9 irons.
post #10 of 27

Wish they were still around.  Then I can send my cracked driver head back and get it replaced.  I loved that thing.  Their innovations were definitely a few years ahead of the market.  They just didn't have the marketing power to get it to take off.

post #11 of 27

I love their ARC Blades.

 

Want

post #12 of 27

Now that they're a brand again, maybe I can get rid of my 4dx 2-hybrid and Hyperforged driver on kijiji - win!

post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearMike View Post

The new Nickent line, designed by ?????, has its unveiling at Golf Galaxy.  Here's the link:

 

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/assets/images/_img/pgs/events/docs/nickent_weekend_flyer.pdf

 

I've been trying to find some new or good quality used 4DX or 5DX hybrids but it looks like they're getting scarce on the net.

 

 

 

From what I hear, all of their old designers are gone.

 

My guess? Unless Dicks plans to hire some experienced designers and really market them, Nickent might (sadly) become another department store box-o-clubs type of brand, like Acuity or Walter Hagan (Dicks also owns both of those). 
 

 

post #14 of 27

Gotta get me an avatar!

 

To find the link on the Golf Galaxy site go to the "In-Store Events" tab.

 

Unfortunately for me I work in retail (high-end audio and video) and can't get to the demo day.  I guess I'll go by when I can.  I look forward to seeing the new stuff and to see if they still have some old gear that I can get.

post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post

From what I understand, Dick’s has bought and resurrected the the Nickent Golf line. I just got a flyer from Golf Galaxy for a Nickent Demo Day to take place in a couple of weeks. I’ve always liked their Pipe putters and am interested to check out this new version.

 

pipedream_page_header.jpg

 

 

http://www.nickentgolf.net/newweb/index.shtml

 

That thing looks like it's about two swings from achieving malignant sentience and going straight for your brain stem via the rectum.

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post



 

That thing looks like it's about two swings from achieving malignant sentience and going straight for your brain stem via the rectum.



Not exactly the right kind of pipe dream

post #17 of 27

I heard a few rumors today one of which I'm not sure I believe but one of which seems kinda logical.

 

First I heard from a guy who is a fitter at a local golf shop that Nickent was in development of 6DX Driver/Woods and 8DX Hybrids when it went under. He thought there was a good chance dicks just rehashed those designs and slapped on some orange paint. Im not so sure about this, but i kinda hope its true becuase it would mean that at least for their initial year this new Nickent would probably hit and feel a lot like the old Nickent.

 

Second rumor I heard was that Golf Galaxy is working with Dicks to design and market the club. This one I might believe more and is also one that could be hopeful as Golf Galaxy in my experience doesn't pedal budget entry level type stuff im not sure theyd be willing to stake their reputation on clubs that were not at the very least competitive with other brands.

post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

My guess? Unless Dicks plans to hire some experienced designers and really market them, Nickent might (sadly) become another department store box-o-clubs type of brand, like Acuity or Walter Hagan (Dicks also owns both of those). 

 

 


However, as Dicks already has Walter Hagen as its "entry level" brand, perhaps they are also trying to lock up a "premium" brand to compete at the same price point as the biggies like Taylormade, Callaway, etc...but they would keep the markup & profit in house.  The shafts on the new releases will probably show their intent...i.e. brand-name shafts vs the generic wet noodles on most entry-level clubs.

 

Hope they keep the Evolver hosel system if there's a 6DX driver....then I could just swap out components if they're a real upgrade!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Nickent is back!