or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Has anyone tried these Taylormade clones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Has anyone tried these Taylormade clones? - Page 2

post #19 of 37

With a 96mph swing speed, I hit the ball 420 yards................................................... once.

 

Downhill towards the hole, hit a concrete yardage marker at about 250 yards, which catapulted the ball forward about 65 yards, where it hit the cart path crossing the fairway and kept going.  I was laughing so hard, I ended up with bogey anyways on the 580 yard Par 5.

 

 

At least mine has the fine print......... lol

post #20 of 37

I agree with buying used clubs.  I am also a new golfer.  I bought a set of Ping K15 irons (6-9, 4 wedges) for $160 with graph shafts and new Jumbo grips.

I bought a used putter (which I LOVE) for $6 and tennis wrapped the grip

I picked up an Adams Speedline driver, Adam's IDEA 3-5 hybrid irons and Adam's Tight Lies 3/7 wood for $100 collectively also with all graph shafts and new Jumbo grips.

 

So I'm in @ $266 for a (to me) really nice set of clubs. I ordered a 2012 closeout OGIO Recoil bag for another $113 (o/g $240'ish) from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Deals are everywhere if you're obsessed with finding them.

post #21 of 37

you could always look at demo'ing some clubs first even before buying.  GolfRedefined.com have a lower membership tier that you can subscribe to even for say 3 months and get to try a whole bunch of drivers - only a season out so instead of the TM R1 for example for $69 for 3 months you could try say the TM R11...

might be worth looking at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Thank you for your replies. I'm kind of looking at a different set now... Adams Tight Lie Plus clubs.--- http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/tightlies1014_plus_set.php (But in Blue --- http://www.worldwidegolfshops.com/mm5/graphics/00000011/adams-tightliesplus-premium-set-xl.jpg)

 

I posted a new topic on them trying to get opinions and reviews on them.

post #22 of 37

Avoid the clones.

 

It is stealing IP and typically does not have all the features of the Authentic OEM and is typically of lower quality.

 

Wait - buy the real thing in a year or two, or get 2011 authentic clubs at rockbottomgolf, 3balls.com, etc.

post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post

About a month ago, I saw a guy hitting one of those drivers on our driving range.   The sound at impact was absolutely HORRIBLE.   It sounded like he was hitting balls with a soda can..   

Ever here any of the Nike Sumo line? Or maybe the Callaway FTI or Cobra LV line. Sound don't mean chit! You gotta do better than that.
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Avoid the clones.

It is stealing IP and typically does not have all the features of the Authentic OEM and is typically of lower quality.

Wait - buy the real thing in a year or two, or get 2011 authentic clubs at rockbottomgolf, 3balls.com, etc.

Ever hear of a guy by the name of Scott Cameron?
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

Ever hear of a guy by the name of Scott Cameron?

Yes!  That's the guy that made Titanic and Avatar, right?

 

Or, is it the guy from Almost Famous?

post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Yes!  That's the guy that made Titanic and Avatar, right?

Or, is it the guy from Almost Famous?

No, no. You're thinking of Wes Cameron. Scott Cameron was the guy on Growing Pains.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


No, no. You're thinking of Wes Cameron. Scott Cameron was the guy on Growing Pains.

I thought he was the girl from Full House? b2_tongue.gif

 

(I realize we're being OT smart asses, but for the life of me, I don't understand LBlack's comment ... Is he calling Scott(y) Cameron a thief?)

post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I thought he was the girl from Full House? b2_tongue.gif

(I realize we're being OT smart asses, but for the life of me, I don't understand LBlack's comment ... Is he calling Scott(y) Cameron a thief?)

Heaven forbid we derail a clone club pissing contest!!

Right then, back on topic. Clones are for hacks. 😜
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

(I realize we're being OT smart asses, but for the life of me, I don't understand LBlack's comment ... Is he calling Scott(y) Cameron a thief?)

 

It seems pretty much any thread on putters ends up having at least one post from LBlack slamming Scotty for copying the Anser.   Of course he conveniently ignores that every other putter manufacturer out there also has designs in their portfolio that look very similar to the Anser as well.   

post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clambake View Post

 

It seems pretty much any thread on putters ends up having at least one post from LBlack slamming Scotty for copying the Anser.   Of course he conveniently ignores that every other putter manufacturer out there also has designs in their portfolio that look very similar to the Anser as well.   

I see ... well that is pretty silly.  Everybody makes an Anser style putter!

post #31 of 37
My point is that there are originals and then there is everything else. Most folks don't know the difference from a clone, fake, counterfeit or an open model/mold design, they just lump them all into one pile which couldn't be further from the truth. Just because something looks similar or has the same colors they want to call it junk/inferior/fake/clone and don't know any better (ignorance). Just because it costs more doesn't make it better.
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

My point is that there are originals and then there is everything else. Most folks don't know the difference from a clone, fake, counterfeit or an open model/mold design, they just lump them all into one pile which couldn't be further from the truth. Just because something looks similar or has the same colors they want to call it junk/inferior/fake/clone and don't know any better (ignorance). Just because it costs more doesn't make it better.

Clones to me are cheap knock offs of popular clubs where there isn't any R&D involved, the clone maker creates a mold from an existing club head and casts their own to look like it.  This is theft of IP in that the clone makers completely market their clubs to steal market share from the more popular name brand version of what they copied.

 

Cameron, Odyssey, Betti, Nike and TM all have anser style putters that look like the original Ping Anser, but they all have been customized and personalized to match each companies philosophy of how such a putter should look and feel.  At first glance these putters may look like the original Anser but I doubt they are exact copies. 

post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

My point is that there are originals and then there is everything else.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

Most folks don't know the difference from a clone, fake, counterfeit or an open model/mold design, they just lump them all into one pile which couldn't be further from the truth.

This cracks me up.  These two sentences immediately followed each other in the same post.  (The rest of your post simply defends theft, no need to address that)

 

Newtogolf also explained quite well already (as have others - but his is right above) the difference between stealing intellectual property and making similar designs.

 

I assume then, based on your anser putter argument, that anybody who makes a cavity back iron is "cloning" Ping Eye 2's?  (Or whoever made the first cavity back)  That's silly.

 

But what isn't silly is when people make "King Snake" or "Big Brother" irons in the exact mold of a real club, and sell them to you at a cheap store for $150 for a brand new set.  That's just stealing.

post #34 of 37
You saying I defend theft cracks me up.
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

My point is that there are originals and then there is everything else. Most folks don't know the difference from a clone, fake, counterfeit or an open model/mold design, they just lump them all into one pile which couldn't be further from the truth. Just because something looks similar or has the same colors they want to call it junk/inferior/fake/clone and don't know any better (ignorance). Just because it costs more doesn't make it better.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

You saying I defend theft cracks me up.

The thread is about clones, and when you say "just because something costs more doesn't make it better" that tells me that you are think clones are as good as the originals.  And since you would bother to say that, I came to the conclusion that you'd advise people to buy clones, or at least be OK with them buying clones.

 

I, along with others here, think that clones are a theft of intellectual property.

 

There's the basis for my conclusion.  If I'm wrong, I apologize, but that's what I inferred from your statements.

post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post


no you dont.

Haha!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Has anyone tried these Taylormade clones?