or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › Favorite Michigan courses
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Favorite Michigan courses - Page 2

post #19 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky74 View Post

Ok, I absolutely have to chime in here.  While I haven't played much golf up north, I have played most of the courses in southeast Michigan at least once (which you know is more than a handful of choices).  I've never ranked them, but I will try my best, and comment on a couple that have been mentioned here.

 

First of all, Taylor Meadows is no comparison to Lakes of Taylor IMO.  Lakes is a FAR better course, with a handful of the holes having a TPC look and feel.  I'd venture to say that the front nine at Lakes is probably one of the toughest 9 holes in SE Michigan (long with many forced carries). 

 

I'm in a league at Eagle Crest, but on the contrary, I'm not a big fan of it.  I'm only in the league because a lot of my friends are in it.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great course, but its "target golf" at its finest which is not my cup of tea.

 

Inkster Valley is very challenging, and well kept.  It can be frustratingly difficult at times, but its worth it a few times per year.

 

Warren valley is horribly kept (last time I played it was anyway, not sure if thats changed in the past 10 years).  Glenhurst is "tracky".

 

I'm from Canton, and while Pheasant run is a nice layout that is very well kept, it is quite pricey.  $45 to $55 for 18 holes in spring and fall???  Get real.

 

Northville Hills is super, but murderously difficult.  I'm not sure I will ever play an Arnold Palmer design again.

 

I'm surprised Links of Novi or Coyote Golf Club have not been mentioned yet.  The East 9 at Links of Novi feels like anything I've played up north.  Both courses are reasonably priced for what they offer.

 

Lake Erie Metropark is a gem.  Very forgiving, but beautiful nonetheless.  ALL the Metropark courses are a great value, and layout.

 

Everybody should walk 9 holes at Wyandotte Shores for $14 ... a rare gem.


Actually, I can't rank them, but some of my favs and non-favs are mentioned above.  I love Michigan, and we have some of the best golf around.  I will say that my personal FAVORITE is probably Links of Novi because of the sum of all thats great about it:  the laidback staff, the 27 hole layout, the price, the up north feel, and the east 9.  The course that I would like to play more but can't really afford is Northville Hills or The Inn at St John's.

 

Some more that I really like but forgot to mention are: Tanglewood, Mystic Creek, Moose Ridge, Farmington Hills GC, Fox Creek.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


I'm crious as to why you see Eagle Crest as a "target golf" course. When I think of "target golf" I think of courses with enforced landing areas defined by wetlands and if you miss these area you are in trouble. Only the par 5 16th  and maybe the 10th hole fit this description. Inskter Valley is much more of a target golf course (2, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12,17 and 18).

 

post #20 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post




I'm crious as to why you see Eagle Crest as a "target golf" course. When I think of "target golf" I think of courses with enforced landing areas defined by wetlands and if you miss these area you are in trouble. Only the par 5 16th  and maybe the 10th hole fit this description. Inskter Valley is much more of a target golf course (2, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12,17 and 18).

 



I guess I've always thought of target golf as being forced to play the hole one way.  Meaning that you need put your drive here, your 2nd shot here, etc.

 

Eagle Crest is short and tight for the most part, which is why I would consider it target golf.  Most of the preffered landing areas for drives and approaches are well defined - meaning that they are surrounded by trouble, and the fairways only exist or are wide in the area where the ball is supposed to land (for the most part).  Good examples of this would be hole #1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 11, 15, and 16.

 

Inkster Valley is target golf from a standpoint that it has forced carries, but after that particular shot, you can be on the left or right side of the fairway, and still have a nice approach to the green.  I wouldn't say that a forced carry equals target golf.  Lots of courses have forced carries from the teebox, but open up after that.

 

But I can't really say that I know the definition of target golf either, just heard the term thrown around loosely.

 

post #21 of 89

And I never said that Inkster Valley wasn't target golf, but I said it was difficult.  Still a nice course that I enjoy playing, as well as Eagle Crest, but I wouldn't want to play it often because it is target golf which makes it difficult for me (a hacker).  Inkster Valley just seems like it has wider fairways than Eagle Crest (which is probably due to it being surrounded by heather and fescues otherwise).

 

post #22 of 89
Thread Starter 
Played copper hills in Oxford today, very nice course. Also played eagle crest last weekend which is also a very nice course, although I played like crap.
post #23 of 89

As some have said already #1 course in Michigan is Arcadia Bluffs.  Most beautiful course I have ever played.

 

Eagle Eye near East Lansing is amazing.  Devil's Ridge in Oxford is great.  On some of the holes you can see miles in every direction and all you see is trees.  Looks close to an up north course.  

 

But one that 8/10 never have heard of, even people who live in Brighton, its called Huntmore Golf Club.  It's tucked away off Old us-23 in Brighton.  It used to be called the golf club of michigan back in 2001 i think (i had a tournament there in high school).  Absolutely great course.  Plays over 7200 from the tips and is very well kept and picturesque.  And the rates are much less than the majority of nice courses in southeast Michigan.  Its very close to my work so I try to play it as much as I can.

post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky74 View Post

And I never said that Inkster Valley wasn't target golf, but I said it was difficult.  Still a nice course that I enjoy playing, as well as Eagle Crest, but I wouldn't want to play it often because it is target golf which makes it difficult for me (a hacker).  Inkster Valley just seems like it has wider fairways than Eagle Crest (which is probably due to it being surrounded by heather and fescues otherwise).

 


Thank you but target golf is defined as "a phrase to describe a style of golf course that has discrete, well-defined landing areas rather than one long stretch of continuous playable ground between the tee and green." (from www.pgaprofessional.com). That more defines Inkster Valley than Eagle Crest. Think of the desert courses in Arizona. Eagle Crest is more like position golf which as you say requires a drive to a particular side of the fairway to have the best approach to the green. On 2 you have to be to the right of the fairway to have a clear shot to the green and avoid the water left of the green. 10 just requires a drive that is not in the trees on the right but the further right the shorter the second shot. 11 has a very narrow landing area. I love that hole. 16 is definitely target golf. The wetlands define Inkster Valley and require target shots like the tee shots on 1,2, 6, 8, 11,17 and 18. 11 in particular is a very difficult hole due to the wetlands and blind tee shot.

 

post #25 of 89
Thread Starter 
Number 11 at inkster valley kicks my butt everytime I play it!!! Lol
post #26 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post




Thank you but target golf is defined as "a phrase to describe a style of golf course that has discrete, well-defined landing areas rather than one long stretch of continuous playable ground between the tee and green." (from www.pgaprofessional.com). That more defines Inkster Valley than Eagle Crest. Think of the desert courses in Arizona. Eagle Crest is more like position golf which as you say requires a drive to a particular side of the fairway to have the best approach to the green. On 2 you have to be to the right of the fairway to have a clear shot to the green and avoid the water left of the green. 10 just requires a drive that is not in the trees on the right but the further right the shorter the second shot. 11 has a very narrow landing area. I love that hole. 16 is definitely target golf. The wetlands define Inkster Valley and require target shots like the tee shots on 1,2, 6, 8, 11,17 and 18. 11 in particular is a very difficult hole due to the wetlands and blind tee shot.

 



Very well then, excuse my poor choice of words.  At any rate, its a tough track.

 

fyi #11 at Inkster has changed considerably.  They've cut down the marsh and raised the teebox a bit.  Now you can see the entire fairway very clearly from start to finish.  The smokestack is gone, but its no longer needed.  Maybe that's why they had to change it?  Because the smokestack was tore down and there was no aiming tool?  Kinda dissappointing to see last week.

 

And #2 at Eagle Crest is my least favorite hole.  Yes there is water on the left of the approach, but there is also jail, then water on the right of the approach.  It's a rather large body of water by the name of Ford Lake.  The fariway in front is a spine.  If your tee shot is short, you are better off going for the green because laying up is nearly impossible.  I loathe that hole.  Just sayin.

 

post #27 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky74 View Post





Very well then, excuse my poor choice of words.  At any rate, its a tough track.

 

fyi #11 at Inkster has changed considerably.  They've cut down the marsh and raised the teebox a bit.  Now you can see the entire fairway very clearly from start to finish.  The smokestack is gone, but its no longer needed.  Maybe that's why they had to change it?  Because the smokestack was tore down and there was no aiming tool?  Kinda dissappointing to see last week.

 

And #2 at Eagle Crest is my least favorite hole.  Yes there is water on the left of the approach, but there is also jail, then water on the right of the approach.  It's a rather large body of water by the name of Ford Lake.  The fariway in front is a spine.  If your tee shot is short, you are better off going for the green because laying up is nearly impossible.  I loathe that hole.  Just sayin.

 

Thanks. Good to hear they've changed 11. It's a poor hole in general. Even with a good tee shot there's no room to miss on the approach. Yeah, 2 is not the best hole at Eagle Crest. I think it's overall a wonderful course with many well designed holes.
 

 

post #28 of 89

Lost Dunes and Point O' Woods are my two favorites.

post #29 of 89

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inkster-Valley-Golf-Club/140173542684981#!/pages/Inkster-Valley-Golf-Club/140173542684981?closeTheater=1

^^fyi a legit coupon for inkster valley.  valid anytime in july, $80 per foursome.  must have a teetime, must have a foursome, must present coupon.  It works, i already used it once.

post #30 of 89

Haven't seen any courses posted in Southwest Michigan, so I will add my 2 cents worth. There are many great tracks there, including the Ravines (an Arnold Palmer course), Hawkshead, Heritage Glen, Thousand Oaks, Pilgrims Run, St. Ives, and Tulleymore. My favorite up north is in Petosky called Bay Harbor...which you see some of the scenic holes in the T.V. commercial for Michigan.org

post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post

Haven't seen any courses posted in Southwest Michigan, so I will add my 2 cents worth. There are many great tracks there, including the Ravines (an Arnold Palmer course), Hawkshead, Heritage Glen, Thousand Oaks, Pilgrims Run, St. Ives, and Tulleymore. My favorite up north is in Petosky called Bay Harbor...which you see some of the scenic holes in the T.V. commercial for Michigan.org



I've been fortunate to play Hawkshead, Thousand Oaks and St. Ives over the years. Hawkshead is great fun, sort of a Pine Valley feel with cross bunkers if I remember correctly (it's been years since I've played). Thousand Oaks is a great course with wonderful green sites. I don't remember St. Ives that much but I remember some very nice holes and some bland holes. Grabd haven GC is a fine course as well. Bay Harbor of course is wonderful and one of a number of marvelous courses in the NW Lower Peninsula. Others I've played up there are Cedar River at Shanty Creek Resort, the Heather and Ross courses at Boyne Highlands, Lochenheath near Traverse City, Belvedere Golf Club in Charlevoix, Dunmaglas near Charlevoix and there are many others I've not yet played. All are wonderful courses. Unfortunately one of the best in the area, Tom Doak's High Pointe is out of business.

post #32 of 89

Playing Garland (Monarch) Aug 2nd, and Yarrow (near Battle Creek & Gull Lake View) on Aug 31st.  I think Yarrow is a fairly new course, but I'm not sure - looks nice though.

post #33 of 89

I usually play at The Colonial Golf Course in Hart, MI.  It's a very forgiving and golfer-friendly course (wide fairways, big green), but it's always very well-kept and is pretty to look at.  I really enjoy Grand Valley State University's home course, Meadows, in Allendale, MI.  It's pretty challenging, but very well-kept too.  I have yet to play Arcadia Bluffs but I desperately want to.  There are tons in Michigan, seriously.

 

Garrett

post #34 of 89

I live in Michigan and have played many courses throughout the state. My first choice is a private club, The Kingsley Club in Kingsley, MI,. Others on top of my list would include. Eagle Eye in East Lansing, St. Ives and Tullymore in Stanwood, Boynes' Heather and Ross courses and two great muncipal courses Goesbeck in Lansing and The Cascades in Jackson.

post #35 of 89
Thread Starter 
Played pheasant run yesterday, very nice course. Shot a 91. 49 on the west with a 10 and a 9. Ugh!!!!! 42 on the north. I will definatly go back.
post #36 of 89

This past weekend my finace and I were in St Josephs for a wedding and I played Berrien Hills in Benton Harbor, Great course. Great views and the course itsself was very well kept.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Courses and Architecture
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › Favorite Michigan courses