or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Do You Support the PGA's "Tee It Forward" Effort?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do You Support the PGA's "Tee It Forward" Effort? - Page 13

Poll Results: Will you support the "Tee It Forward" effort being made by the PGA and USGA?

 
  • 71% (81)
    Yes
  • 18% (21)
    No
  • 9% (11)
    Maybe
113 Total Votes  
post #217 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post


Just posted score, stats from moving up 46% GIR-71% FIR-14 putts-50% bounce backs-60% scrambling-par 3's 3.0 par 4's 4.2 par 5's 5.0. Three of the greens I missed were fringe, I got a putter on it twice. Average drive was 234, driver twice,  four 5w and one 5i, longest was 301 shortest 191. Honestly I may just stay on these tees for a while, at least will move up to blues. Par 3's were kind of weird up there at 143 and 114. Both par 5's could have been two to the green but I played conservatively. Fun as it was I was a little disappointed I didn't keep it to 35. Anyone else going to move up for grins?

I think it's great that you had fun, but I don't think I would... You are in CO, so I'm guessing your 3,000 yd 9 holes would play more like 2,700 yds in Indiana? Even if I shot 3 under from that distance (I probably wouldn't), it wouldn't feel like an accomplishment. Plus, I really can't see how doing this will make me a better golfer. 5 WD/LW into most par 4's wouldn't help me play better golf in my club championship...
post #218 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post


I think it's great that you had fun, but I don't think I would... You are in CO, so I'm guessing your 3,000 yd 9 holes would play more like 2,700 yds in Indiana? Even if I shot 3 under from that distance (I probably wouldn't), it wouldn't feel like an accomplishment. Plus, I really can't see how doing this will make me a better golfer. 5 WD/LW into most par 4's wouldn't help me play better golf in my club championship...


I think the course rating makes a difference in how enjoyable playing up is. I wouldn't do it if the rating got much lower than a stroke under par. At this course the rating for that side at that distance (3165 on the card) is 34.8, usually play from 3414. Which I found interesting because the back 9 of my former home course is 33.4 from the back tees, a little longer but has 3 par 3's.

post #219 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 


I think the course rating makes a difference in how enjoyable playing up is. I wouldn't do it if the rating got much lower than a stroke under par. At this course the rating for that side at that distance (3165 on the card) is 34.8, usually play from 3414. Which I found interesting because the back 9 of my former home course is 33.4 from the back tees, a little longer but has 3 par 3's.

 

I think it depends upon the course as well. Some courses are just plain hard no matter what tees you play from like this one: http://www.losserranoscountryclub.com/-south-course

 

My son and I (and me and some of my other partners) usually decide what tees to play at the beginning of a scoring round, but if we are practicing we have fun and pop around different tees. We'll play the tips from one hole and the kid's tees from another. It all depends upon how we want to challenge ourselves. Even playing from closer tees can be harder. For instance, the children's tees (one up from the "ladies" tees") can provide a challenge for the lob wedge at some 1/2 to 3/4 swing distance. Maybe the tips looks cool because we want to shoot down a valley below from the highest point on the golf course. Maybe we want to avoid a layup on one hole. Practice rounds are fun rounds for us, we just don't score them. Scoring is a different topic, and I'm sure someone like @David in FL (probably others too) would have plenty to say to me about these types of rounds I like to play.

 

So, I suppose it's safe to assume that the TIF program is only designed to limit the maximum tees you play and not the minimum.

post #220 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

I think it depends upon the course as well. Some courses are just plain hard no matter what tees you play from like this one: http://www.losserranoscountryclub.com/-south-course

 

My son and I (and me and some of my other partners) usually decide what tees to play at the beginning of a scoring round, but if we are practicing we have fun and pop around different tees. We'll play the tips from one hole and the kid's tees from another. It all depends upon how we want to challenge ourselves. Even playing from closer tees can be harder. For instance, the children's tees (one up from the "ladies" tees") can provide a challenge for the lob wedge at some 1/2 to 3/4 swing distance. Maybe the tips looks cool because we want to shoot down a valley below from the highest point on the golf course. Maybe we want to avoid a layup on one hole. Practice rounds are fun rounds for us, we just don't score them. Scoring is a different topic, and I'm sure someone like @David in FL (probably others too) would have plenty to say to me about these types of rounds I like to play.

 

So, I suppose it's safe to assume that the TIF program is only designed to limit the maximum tees you play and not the minimum.

I play a 1100 yard par 3 course where I have yet to break par. Honestly my scores relative to par there aren't much different than my 9 hole home course scores at 3414/3536.

post #221 of 258

So much of this depends on the course. I typically shoot around 80, so when I'm playing a new course and trying to choose a set of tees, I look at two things -- overall course length and length of the par-3s. I look for an overall course length of 6300-6500 yards and par-3s between 125 and 175 yards. If there are only three sets of tees, this usually means the back tees; if there are four or five sets, I usually play the second-longest set. There's one course in my area that is the perfect length from the back tees, except for the par-3s. They're all in the 210-230 range, when means a long hybrid just to get to the front of the green. But if I move up one set of tees, then the par-4s are all in the 320-range and I'm hitting driver-wedge all day. My buddies suggest playing the back tees on par 4s and 5s and the short tees on par 3s, but that sounds almost like cheating to me. My solution? Stay away from that course . . .

 

I think the overall idea of moving up one set of tees is a good one. It's mostly about taking a realistic look at your own game. I recall playing the TPC course in Tampa many years ago with guys whose wives had given them the rounds ($125) as Christmas gifts. They had no chance of breaking 100 from any tees, but they insisted on playing the "tips" because that's where the Champions Tour tournament was played from. I played from one set up (6700 yards) and had a much better time.

post #222 of 258

Many years ago, I was a member at a very difficult course in northeast Ohio.  A group of us started an annual tournament over two weekends, one round from each of the four tee sets.  7500, 6800, 6300, and 5600 yards, if I recall correctly.  Most of us were in the 6-12 handicap range then, and we considered the 6800's our members' course.  There was a lot of skepticism beforehand, about how the shorter tee rounds would be boring or time wasted.  Everyone was singing a much different tune afterwards, saying how much fun the short tees had been.

 

To those who are still unconvinced of the value of play it forward, I suggest you go try one round from each of the tees on your regular or favorite course.  You just might enjoy it.

post #223 of 258

  Gonna post my thoughts and then read thread though from the poll I can see Im on the unpopular side.  I don't support it for a few reasons.  The first reason is let's be honest, they just want us to play from shorter distances so the round goes quicker and they make more $. It has absolutely nothing to do with how much fun they want us to have.  The second reason is that playing in harder conditions makes u better.  It's a fact.  Just like when u are a kid and u play in older age group u are forced to get better and then u get to school and play with kids ur own age and you are better or when u get video game and u play hardest level over and over.  Well, when u start game and play easier levels they are no trouble at all.

 To me it's the exact same thing.  I go out and tip it out every time from 7000-7300 yards and shoot high 70's to mid 80s and beat myself up but then a fun tourney comes along or I play in group that plays a teebox up and Im more confident and shoot 72-76. Just my opinion  obviously but I think it makes you (me) better.  I am obv not advocating it for those that spray ball all over the place and can't keep up with pace of play which is real issue imo.

 

  I forgot 1 thing. I heard ppl talking about lower scores as the reason. If that's the case then why not a commercial to play it from the ladies tees ? Junior tees?  That's just a band aid and doesn't make u better

post #224 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxpkrgolf View Post

 

  I forgot 1 thing. I heard ppl talking about lower scores as the reason. If that's the case then why not a commercial to play it from the ladies tees ? Junior tees?  That's just a band aid and doesn't make u better

Interesting concept ...

Playing back will make me better?


I thought the objective of the game was lower score?


As .8 handicap I really don't think the USGA was targeting you ... I believe they were targeting people like me ... And I do tee forward ...
post #225 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxpkrgolf View Post

  Gonna post my thoughts and then read thread though from the poll I can see Im on the unpopular side.  I don't support it for a few reasons.  The first reason is let's be honest, they just want us to play from shorter distances so the round goes quicker and they make more $. It has absolutely nothing to do with how much fun they want us to have.  The second reason is that playing in harder conditions makes u better.  It's a fact.  Just like when u are a kid and u play in older age group u are forced to get better and then u get to school and play with kids ur own age and you are better or when u get video game and u play hardest level over and over.  Well, when u start game and play easier levels they are no trouble at all.


 To me it's the exact same thing.  I go out and tip it out every time from 7000-7300 yards and shoot high 70's to mid 80s and beat myself up but then a fun tourney comes along or I play in group that plays a teebox up and Im more confident and shoot 72-76. Just my opinion  obviously but I think it makes you (me) better.  I am obv not advocating it for those that spray ball all over the place and can't keep up with pace of play which is real issue imo.


  I forgot 1 thing. I heard ppl talking about lower scores as the reason. If that's the case then why not a commercial to play it from the ladies tees ? Junior tees?  That's just a band aid and doesn't make u better


 



Hmmm. I don't think the "Tee It Forward" program is aimed at 0.8 handicap players that shoot 78 from the tips. You seem to be answering the question from your perspective about your own game.

I think most people are answering the question from the perspective of people that can't handle the distances they are trying to play from and if it would benefit everybody if they moved up.
post #226 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxpkrgolf View Post
 

  Gonna post my thoughts and then read thread though from the poll I can see Im on the unpopular side.  I don't support it for a few reasons.  The first reason is let's be honest, they just want us to play from shorter distances so the round goes quicker and they make more $. It has absolutely nothing to do with how much fun they want us to have.  The second reason is that playing in harder conditions makes u better.  It's a fact.  Just like when u are a kid and u play in older age group u are forced to get better and then u get to school and play with kids ur own age and you are better or when u get video game and u play hardest level over and over.  Well, when u start game and play easier levels they are no trouble at all.

 

 To me it's the exact same thing.  I go out and tip it out every time from 7000-7300 yards and shoot high 70's to mid 80s and beat myself up but then a fun tourney comes along or I play in group that plays a teebox up and Im more confident and shoot 72-76. Just my opinion  obviously but I think it makes you (me) better.  I am obv not advocating it for those that spray ball all over the place and can't keep up with pace of play which is real issue imo.

 

  I forgot 1 thing. I heard ppl talking about lower scores as the reason. If that's the case then why not a commercial to play it from the ladies tees ? Junior tees?  That's just a band aid and doesn't make u better

 



Hmmm. I don't think the "Tee It Forward" program is aimed at 0.8 handicap players that shoot 78 from the tips. You seem to be answering the question from your perspective about your own game.

I think most people are answering the question from the perspective of people that can't handle the distances they are trying to play from and if it would benefit everybody if they moved up.

 

 

 I get that. I also have only recently begun playing better ( I was a 9-11 HC for 15 years) in the past 18 months.  I attribute getting better to a lot of things and one of those is playing with better players and playing it back. Of course I am taking the TIF pgm from my point of view, that's what everyone should be doing imo. 

post #227 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxpkrgolf View Post
 

 

 

 I get that. I also have only recently begun playing better ( I was a 9-11 HC for 15 years) in the past 18 months.  I attribute getting better to a lot of things and one of those is playing with better players and playing it back. Of course I am taking the TIF pgm from my point of view, that's what everyone should be doing imo. 


Even a 9-11 handicap can play the tips without costing that much time on the course.

 

The main purpose is pace of play.

post #228 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxpkrgolf View Post
 

 

 

 I get that. I also have only recently begun playing better ( I was a 9-11 HC for 15 years) in the past 18 months.  I attribute getting better to a lot of things and one of those is playing with better players and playing it back. Of course I am taking the TIF pgm from my point of view, that's what everyone should be doing imo. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 


Even a 9-11 handicap can play the tips without costing that much time on the course.

 

The main purpose is pace of play.

 

 

    That's my whole point is that it's about pace of play. The commercials don't say that, they say they're doing it so u can have more fun and play better when in reality it's about speeding things along so more ppl can play which = more $

post #229 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxpkrgolf View Post

 

 

 

    That's my whole point is that it's about pace of play. The commercials don't say that, they say they're doing it so u can have more fun and play better when in reality it's about speeding things along so more ppl can play which = more $

 



The golf course may or may not benefit from "more $" depending on how busy they are. Nothing wrong with a business wanting to make money anyway (and many of them are barely afloat as it is).

The rest of us that would like to get in a round without waiting all day benefit just as much or more.

I don't play on crowded courses very often but the last time I did quite a few groups (including us) never even got to finish our rounds before dark because of some yardbirds in front that thought they were the only ones on the course.
post #230 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxpkrgolf View Post
 

 

 

 

    That's my whole point is that it's about pace of play. The commercials don't say that, they say they're doing it so u can have more fun and play better when in reality it's about speeding things along so more ppl can play which = more $

 



The golf course may or may not benefit from "more $" depending on how busy they are. Nothing wrong with a business wanting to make money anyway (and many of them are barely afloat as it is).

The rest of us that would like to get in a round without waiting all day benefit just as much or more.

I don't play on crowded courses very often but the last time I did quite a few groups (including us) never even got to finish our rounds before dark because of some yardbirds in front that thought they were the only ones on the course.

 

That's the real benefit.

post #231 of 258

I am done playing golf on weekends, can't handle waiting on the ball chasers. Watched a group of young guys playing back hit ball after ball in every direction. On every hole they were in the native area searching for errant drives. I bailed after the third hole when the wait behind me got two groups deep. It took two of the kids 3 shots to get out of range on the par 5 number 4. I looped back to the first tee on ranger trails to start again behind the log jam, I really wanted to get in 9 before dark. I played through another single before catching the log jam again on 8 tee. Everyone was backed up on 8 and 9 waiting for the ball chasers and the slow group ahead of them. I played 7 holes in the time it took them to complete 4.

post #232 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

I am done playing golf on weekends, can't handle waiting on the ball chasers. Watched a group of young guys playing back hit ball after ball in every direction. On every hole they were in the native area searching for errant drives. I bailed after the third hole when the wait behind me got two groups deep. It took two of the kids 3 shots to get out of range on the par 5 number 4. I looped back to the first tee on ranger trails to start again behind the log jam, I really wanted to get in 9 before dark. I played through another single before catching the log jam again on 8 tee. Everyone was backed up on 8 and 9 waiting for the ball chasers and the slow group ahead of them. I played 7 holes in the time it took them to complete 4.

You make me glad I live in an area that doesn't see that much traffic on the course. I haven't seen anything as bad as you are talking about in a long time. Worst it ever gets for me is having one set of people end up joining me as I wait on the people in front of me. Even then we still made the turn at an hour and 30 minutes which is way ahead of pace. I really don't think playing forward would make me any faster or my scores much better. I can play the executive course and still end up with the same type of scores as I do on the regulation course. I typically play the middle tees, not counting the women's tees. Unless I'm playing extra bad, most of my score is based on a handful of bad holes, not constantly hitting bad shots.

post #233 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

I am done playing golf on weekends, can't handle waiting on the ball chasers. Watched a group of young guys playing back hit ball after ball in every direction. On every hole they were in the native area searching for errant drives. I bailed after the third hole when the wait behind me got two groups deep. It took two of the kids 3 shots to get out of range on the par 5 number 4. I looped back to the first tee on ranger trails to start again behind the log jam, I really wanted to get in 9 before dark. I played through another single before catching the log jam again on 8 tee. Everyone was backed up on 8 and 9 waiting for the ball chasers and the slow group ahead of them. I played 7 holes in the time it took them to complete 4.

 

I think the people behind my party are also done waiting. :whistle:

 

Truth be told, we were right behind the group in front of us the entire time, but for some reason the party behind us decides to hit into us on the 18th hole. My son and I were on/near the green, and the other two in our party, @hacker101, were preparing to make their approach shots when we had three balls hit into our party. So, I wanted to know what their hurry was as the sun was still out and we were on the 18th hole. I drive our cart back to ask them if they could just wait just 5 minutes, since this was the last hole. They complained and drove off the course saying they would report us for slow play. At the end of the round, the GPS cart reported a total time of 4:30, and the cart always said we were on pace the whole time.

 

Plus "Tee it up" was done for us by the course (except on the first hole) as most of the tees were setup closer anyway, and I guess the people behind us were a little upset by the weekend slow play and took it out on us.

 

Oh, well. :-X

post #234 of 258

Going forward I will play during the week when I can book the last time of the day. The goal being most everyone has gone for the day. If that doesn't work I am done with golf.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Do You Support the PGA's "Tee It Forward" Effort?