or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Lie Adjustment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lie Adjustment

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I recently had the lie of my clubs tested and it was recommended that I flatten the lie by 2 degrees. I can't see this is going to make such a difference. Surely 2 degrees is within manufacturing tolerances? At most the incorrect lie would lead to a ball being hit of 1-2 degrees off line. Which would result in less than 5 yards off centreline on a typical 5 iron shot.

Doesn't sound like such a big deal for the average amateur, who has a pretty inconsistent swing anyway.

Any comments?
post #2 of 16

Re: Lie Adjustment

I think that your assumption may be correct. The average golfer doesn't have clubs that are the appropriate lie angle anyways, and since you are, as you said, inconsistent, it won't be noticable.
post #3 of 16

Re: Lie Adjustment

For me a 2 degree lie adjustment changed my handicap by 8 strokes. I would definately spend the $40 and have the clubs adjusted to the correct lie angle.
post #4 of 16

Re: Lie Adjustment

Originally Posted by PABIRDDOG View Post
For me a 2 degree lie adjustment changed my handicap by 8 strokes. I would definately spend the $40 and have the clubs adjusted to the correct lie angle.
In what direction? ;)

Just kidding. My serious question, though, is was this a confidence issue, or is the ball flight noticably more consistent/straight/far?
post #5 of 16

Re: Lie Adjustment

2* is a considerable adjustment and yes you will certainly notice a difference. Before you get them adjusted find a GOOD clubmaker in your local area and go speak to them about whether you need the lie changed or not. At the very least they will need to ask you questions about your current ball flight and have you hit a lot of balls in to a net while using a launch monitor and impact tape on the soles of the clubs. Changing the lie of your irons is a very big deal, so make sure you trust the person recommending the work 100%.

Even if you don't need the lies changed, it is avery good idea to get a good clubmaker to adjust the loft and lie of your clubs to exactly or as close as possible the manufacters specs. If you are using forged irons it is also a good idea to get the loft and lie checked and adjusted as necessary at least once a year if you practice and play often, every six months if you practice and play daily. You will be surprised just how much loft and lie changes with forged clubs. You could be surprised to learn that you have in your bag 2 x 6 irons and 2 x 4irons!
post #6 of 16

Re: Lie Adjustment

2* is a big difference. Even if you are inconsistant it can only help. Make sure though that you have forged clubs. Only forged irons can be safely bent.
post #7 of 16

Re: Lie Adjustment

Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post
2* is a big difference. Even if you are inconsistant it can only help. Make sure though that you have forged clubs. Only forged irons can be safely bent.
Just curious, only forged clubs can be bent ? How about the non forged ones ?
post #8 of 16

Re: Lie Adjustment

Non forged clubs can be bent but generally only a degree or two and it depends a bit on what they are cast from in the first place. Some of the grades of stainless they use when manufacturing cast clubs are softer than others. Again, ask a good clubfitter and they'll be able to tell you.

One other thing that is a factor is the type of bending machine the clubfitter has available, some of them are capable of imparting more force than others. Remember that when bending cast clubs there is always the possibility that you may snap one, good clubfitters will make you aware of the risk and will also let you know that the responsibility for any damages that occur lie with you and not with them.

If you are purchasing your bats brand new, remember that some companies offer clubs at different lie angles as standard. But don't forget though, not all companies standard 5 irons for example will be the same lie angle so this needs to be taken in to account. If you need a 62* lie angle for a given length 5 iron, then that's what you need irrespective of whether you buy a set of Titleist 695MB's or a set of Mizuno MP67's.

In the case of the Titleist's you'd need their standard lie angle, with the Mizunos the standard lie angle is 60.5*, see what I mean?
post #9 of 16

Re: Lie Adjustment

Chingali, thanks for the clear explanation. I am also using the standard lie that I grab off the shelf.
post #10 of 16

Re: Lie Adjustment

To back up what other people have been saying, bending non-forged clubs can result in them breaking. I have seen it happen a couple of times - so make sure you are confident in the abilities of whomever you take the club to.

I think it would help if you told us what type of clubs you have.....

I'm wondering why only one of them was off. And what was it off 2 degrees from? Standard? Your other clubs? Have you ever had the lie angles adjusted? Did you special order the clubs?
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 

Re: Lie Adjustment

Originally Posted by icourtnage View Post
To back up what other people have been saying, bending non-forged clubs can result in them breaking. I have seen it happen a couple of times - so make sure you are confident in the abilities of whomever you take the club to.

I think it would help if you told us what type of clubs you have.....

I'm wondering why only one of them was off. And what was it off 2 degrees from? Standard? Your other clubs? Have you ever had the lie angles adjusted? Did you special order the clubs?
My clubs are forged. The recommendation was a 2 degree adjustment from standard across the whole set.
post #12 of 16

If you have 20 minutes you can see what it will do, and yes it is a big difference. It just only seems trivial to someone that has no idea what it does.

Here is what you do. I don't know what metal your cast irons are made of. But if a magnet will stick to the face of your club this will be easy for you. If not then you'll have to do a little more work. Maybe 2 minutes more of it.

Get your magnet and glue a fireplace match to the center of it with a glue gun. You have to have it 'straight', nothing else will do.

Once you have this done, put the magnet in the center of the face of your club.

Hold the heel and toe in your two hands/fingertips while you are facing the face of the club. Be certain the grip is in a position that seems correct as well. I do this standing up and holding the club, and you could too once you understand what you're doing.

Look at the point where the sole touches the table top or counter top and get it to a point where it is dead center of the sole.

Look at where the fireplace match is pointing.

Now slowly roll the club towards the toe and watch the direction of the match.

Now roll it back to the heel and watch the direction of the match.

You'll see, or you should see if you did it right, the match will point to the right when the toe is down and to the left when the heel is down. This is for a right handed golfer.

2 degrees at impact calculated over 200 to 250 yards can be 40 yards to the right with ease. Put some side spin on it and you've got a banana ball. You're in the trees.

There really is a difference.

If you can't use a magnet get a twist off coke top and glue the fireplace match to the center of it as noted above and then carefully tape it to your club face.

It'll give you the same variance.

Doc

FORE! Play Golf

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocParty View Post
 

.....2 degrees at impact calculated over 200 to 250 yards can be 40 yards to the right with ease......

 

 

Sorry, but for a straight shot a 2 degree deviation at 200 yards is less than 7 yards. If you aim 21 feet from the target you should be ok.

post #14 of 16
I disagree that it isn't a big deal. F or me I'm 6'5" and have my clubs 2 upright. If I didn't the toe is going to dig in the ground. It is a big deal but make sure you have a club fitter who has the right equipment to bend them. Most will tell you if they're not forged that they will not be responsible for breakage which can happen.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Don View Post

I recently had the lie of my clubs tested and it was recommended that I flatten the lie by 2 degrees. I can't see this is going to make such a difference. Surely 2 degrees is within manufacturing tolerances? At most the incorrect lie would lead to a ball being hit of 1-2 degrees off line. Which would result in less than 5 yards off centreline on a typical 5 iron shot.

Doesn't sound like such a big deal for the average amateur, who has a pretty inconsistent swing anyway.

Any comments?

The lie on my irons was 3 degrees too upright (+1 from OEM specs) and I was hitting ball on the toe ... consistently.

 

After flattening the lie angle and moving away from the ball (yes, moving away), I was hitting the ball in the middle of the face.

 

Yes, it makes a difference.

post #16 of 16

My irons are adjusted 2 degrees upright. Granted I do not see that much difference in ball flight, but my strikes definitely feel and sound more solid. That's enough for me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Lie Adjustment