or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Do you ride or walk the course?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you ride or walk the course? - Page 4

Poll Results: Do you ride a cart or walk?

Poll expired: Aug 16, 2011  
  • 33% (22)
    Cart
  • 66% (44)
    Walk
66 Total Votes  
post #55 of 129

I said 'I' in my post. As in talking about myself. Which this thread was asking.."Do YOU ride or walk?". Plenty more people have said the same thing as me in this thread, but you picked me out for a reason only known to yourself.

 

But anyway, yes indeed you went off topic. We will let it back on topic, shall we?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post



 

Then why didn't you say the above in your post, then just saying 'old' people.

 

Anyway

 

z8_offtopic.gif
 

 



 

post #56 of 129

Hmmm... some interesting comments from many on this subject. Here are two observations I have noticed in just last month.

 

Four guys that look in their mid twenties hopping into 2 carts after paying their green fees. Two other guys that are obviously walking comment loudly enough for the other 4 guys to over hear "Damn shame people use carts. Friggin' laziness is ruining this country." To which one of the "cart kids" replied, "That's ok sir. I got enough walking in during my last tour in Afghanistan." The two walkers left quickly to the first tee without saying a word.

 

So there is this guy that is a week-end player and is fairly skilled but decides taking a cart is a good idea for the day. Of course the "Purity Police" at my club (every club has them) admonish the guy for taking the lazy way out. I get matched up with him and during our round we are making chit chat. Turns out he has 4 daughters, is building an addition to his house, and is a volunteer firefighter. He was telling me he normally walks but he had a killer week and just needs to unwind a bit and enjoy a tasty beverage on the course. He shot his second lowest career score that day.

 

The point is that if you honestly believe that people taking carts is a big issue than you haven't a clue on what is going on in somebody elses life that may make them decide on taking a cart that day. The judgment given to them can only come from ignorance. So lighten up on the cart folks and concern yourself with your own game. And by the way, I walk about 90% of the time.

post #57 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1par2win View Post

Hmmm... some interesting comments from many on this subject. Here are two observations I have noticed in just last month.

 

Four guys that look in their mid twenties hopping into 2 carts after paying their green fees. Two other guys that are obviously walking comment loudly enough for the other 4 guys to over hear "Damn shame people use carts. Friggin' laziness is ruining this country." To which one of the "cart kids" replied, "That's ok sir. I got enough walking in during my last tour in Afghanistan." The two walkers left quickly to the first tee without saying a word.

 

So there is this guy that is a week-end player and is fairly skilled but decides taking a cart is a good idea for the day. Of course the "Purity Police" at my club (every club has them) admonish the guy for taking the lazy way out. I get matched up with him and during our round we are making chit chat. Turns out he has 4 daughters, is building an addition to his house, and is a volunteer firefighter. He was telling me he normally walks but he had a killer week and just needs to unwind a bit and enjoy a tasty beverage on the course. He shot his second lowest career score that day.

 

The point is that if you honestly believe that people taking carts is a big issue than you haven't a clue on what is going on in somebody elses life that may make them decide on taking a cart that day. The judgment given to them can only come from ignorance. So lighten up on the cart folks and concern yourself with your own game. And by the way, I walk about 90% of the time.


Thank you.

 

post #58 of 129

I'm not looking to start a fight here, but I have never looked at someone riding and thought they were lazy...

 

The only time I take interest in a strangers golf game is if they are holding me up on the tee box..  And even then I don't lose much sleep over it.

post #59 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by indykappa View Post

 

 

there was a post earlier that said something to the effect of "what if a dirtbike or a tank was on the course?"...and i think that that was quite a reach.  we're talking about golf carts...period. 

 

several posters have mentioned that "the pros don't use carts", but how many folks on this forum are pros?  guys in major league baseball use wood bats, but college players use aluminum...see what i'm getting at?  i find it laughable that so many of you cite what the pros do...they are PROS...that's their job.  how many folks here get paid to play?  hell, how many of you even get paid to teach someone else how to play?  unless you are aspiring to become a pro, i just find the "that's what the pros do" argument to be a little bit lame.


I brought up the bike and the "monster truck" because a poster said that their is no rule about how you must get around the course.  

 

I also brought up the pro argument, but you also missed it when i said high school and college golfers don't use carts.  Also pro baseball players don't use aluminum bats because of safety reasons among others.  

 

Pros play nike, calloway, ping etc.  I guess since the pros play those no one else should?

 

That was a bit of a stretch, but what i am saying is those are the highest representatives of the game and they don't ride.

 

My biggest thing is if there wasn't golf carts a lot less people would play.  This is evident of days at my course when they only allow walking.  There is about 25% of the normal crowd there.  And people say that they enjoy their round more if they walk.  If you like driving around you can do it in your car.  You are playing golf, that should be as much enjoyment for you as you need.

So if making you walk would make you give up the game then you are not enjoying golf for the right reasons.

 

I see the same thing in hunting,  Guys drive right up to the animal and shoot it out the window or what not.  That is not hunting.

 

post #60 of 129

Someone else's personal views on powercarts is of little consequence, but here are my thoughts (again). I don't really need a reubuttal from any militant pro-cart people. You have your opinion and your experiences and that's great for you. My experiences are different. Or perhaps I take something different away from the same experience. Who really cares?!?

 

- I don't care for sharing a vehicle with someone and driving to my golf ball, eventually. I'd like to walk directly to my ball and he or she can go to theirs. I will invariably be the second one to hit after every tee shot, and it gets tiresome always searching for someone else's ball then heading over to mine in a rush to make up all the time we lost looking for theirs. I take care to keep the ball in play when in a cart (most times actually) out of respect for this forced partnership, but the same courtesey has never been returned. Now when on opposite sides of the hole I just pull a few clubs and say, "meet you at the hole". Not a popular move, but I've learned that the alternative means I get less enjoyment for my money than the often shorter and wilder hitter does.

 

- the foursome 3 groups ahead of us on Saturday that was probably the slowest group of hackers I've seen in years, would probably have quit after 9 holes if they had to walk. That would have been preferable to the 2 groups immediately behind them storming into the clubhouse after 7 holes and demanding refunds. Our course is extrememly easy to walk (the vast majority of members and league players are walkers), but our course needs the revenue I suppose. I wonder how the revenue of those two carts compares to the lost revenue from those two other groups?

 

- the super slow foursome wouldn't let us through until #13. They skipped 1/2 of #11, but we still were waiting on them on #12. One guy in our group tore a strip off the marshal who we'd tried to flag down on several occasions. He says, "you have to ask them to let you play through, then if they refuse, you talk to me". "That's actually your job, but since we're talking to you now - you didn't stop before - can you go talk with them". These people had 4 empty holes in front of them. I'm not sure without shouting across the course how you're supposed to ask someone to wave you through when they're racing off the tee just before you get there (every time) in order to not talk to you. Then they stall well before the landing area? Do you just bomb it over their heads?

 

- the courses in my area that send out the fewest carts have the nicest conditions, especially in the prime chipping areas around the greens. Probably just a coincidence.

 

I don't look down my nose at someone who choose to cart in a very hot and humid area. I have no beef with that. I do wonder why people choose to golf between 10:00 and 14:00, but that's another story. I do have an issue with someone forcing me to take a cart purely for revenue purposes, building a course where walking is not possible (I choose to spend my money elsewhere), and the 90 degree cart rule. If carts are so hard on the course you need to build a little paved road alongside the hole, then why not limit how many get sent out? Oh yeah, the revenue.

post #61 of 129

My regular course was built as a cart course. There are lots of very long walks between green and next tee. Between nine green and ten tee is about a 5-10 minute walk. There is no way to walk and play in under 4.5 hours. Plus, there are no benches and no shade. I've walked with a pushcart when the course is full and I am playing with less than a 4-some. When it is hot, there is no relief and no way to skip a hole to avoid slower groups. So, I almost always ride. In the spring and fall, if it is a wet cart-path-only day, I will walk.

 

That said, I am fortunate enough to be a guest at several old clubs in the area. Most are very old courses. They were built for walking and have great caddie programs. It is always a treat to walk with a caddie no matter the heat. Of course, there are plenty of old trees for shade.

 

As for carts and course conditions, I like Wildhorse in NE. Another riding course with great distances between the greens and tees. There, you may NOT ride in the rough -- just the fairways. They want the fairways hard and fast and the rough lush and tall. Great course in great condition. Best to keep your ball out of the rough. This no carts in the rough thing works.

post #62 of 129

Well said.

 

Maybe instead of being mad at people who use carts i should thank them.

 

Because you pay extra money for golf, my rounds become cheaper.

post #63 of 129
I walk for four main reasons:

1. It's less expensive. I rarely play courses that include a cart in greens fees, and these are typically not capable of being walked anyway. I use a cart in those situations.

2. I'm waiting less. It's rare for me to walk and not have to wait on the group ahead of me - a consequence of the courses I play. When the course has been open ahead of me, I've played in 3:15 on a few (rare) occasions.

3. I feel I play better when walking. Part of it is that I always feel rushed when I play in a cart, even if it's hurrying up to wait.

4. I especially hate sharing a cart, even with friends. I like to have my clubs with me when I decide on a shot, and I like progressing directly to my ball when I can (either directly, or off to the side if I'm ahead of someone).
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

Pros play nike, calloway, ping etc.  I guess since the pros play those no one else should?


I've never seen a professional play a Calloway club. They typically go brand name instead of clones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

That was a bit of a stretch, but what i am saying is those are the highest representatives of the game and they don't ride.


This is due to their condition of competition, not some innate desire on their part to walk. Casey Martin used a cart on the PGA Tour, and the Champions Tour allows players the option. A few professionals - I can think of one particular high profile one immediately - have tried to suggest that the PGA Tour allow carts. Furthermore, some tour events use carts to shuttle players around the course at various points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJunkie View Post

Fact is in my experience walkers slow the pace immensely, especially if they're carrying their bags.

Funny, my experience is the opposite: it's the group with two carts that drive to one ball, wait for the guy to hit, caravan to the next, let him select his club, take practice swings, hit, onto the third ball, and so on...

The fact of the matter is that a walker is faster than someone who doesn't know how to use a cart, and a cart is faster than walking if there's no waiting on shots.
post #64 of 129

Yeah I agree, that caravan mentality is brutal to watch and play behind. And then anytime they break from it, no one seems to know what to do and the cart ends up being left in some akward place that requires additional backtracking to retreive. Walking is simple and stress-free, you hit and begin walking to your ball, stopping only long enough for another walker to hit. No time wasted dropping someone off and racing across the fairway to your shot or worse, waiting with the person while he selects a club, takes practice swings, hits, cleans his club and searches for a place to put it back before racing to your ball. And all this is when they allow you to take the cart anywhere, forget about the additional time and effort required when you have to stay on the cartpath.

Originally Posted by Shindig View Post


Funny, my experience is the opposite: it's the group with two carts that drive to one ball, wait for the guy to hit, caravan to the next, let him select his club, take practice swings, hit, onto the third ball, and so on...

 
post #65 of 129

Sean, we sometimes have hugely disparaging viewpoints on subjects, which is perfectly fine in a forum such as this. Nice to hear differing viewpoints. 

 

Having said that, we are in complete agreement on this  and you Sir, are far more eloquent about it. Or maybe you just have more patience to type it out?

 

So I'll just say "+1!"   a3_biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

Someone else's personal views on powercarts is of little consequence, but here are my thoughts (again). I don't really need a reubuttal from any militant pro-cart people. You have your opinion and your experiences and that's great for you. My experiences are different. Or perhaps I take something different away from the same experience. Who really cares?!?

 

- I don't care for sharing a vehicle with someone and driving to my golf ball, eventually. I'd like to walk directly to my ball and he or she can go to theirs. I will invariably be the second one to hit after every tee shot, and it gets tiresome always searching for someone else's ball then heading over to mine in a rush to make up all the time we lost looking for theirs. I take care to keep the ball in play when in a cart (most times actually) out of respect for this forced partnership, but the same courtesey has never been returned. Now when on opposite sides of the hole I just pull a few clubs and say, "meet you at the hole". Not a popular move, but I've learned that the alternative means I get less enjoyment for my money than the often shorter and wilder hitter does.

 

- the foursome 3 groups ahead of us on Saturday that was probably the slowest group of hackers I've seen in years, would probably have quit after 9 holes if they had to walk. That would have been preferable to the 2 groups immediately behind them storming into the clubhouse after 7 holes and demanding refunds. Our course is extrememly easy to walk (the vast majority of members and league players are walkers), but our course needs the revenue I suppose. I wonder how the revenue of those two carts compares to the lost revenue from those two other groups?

 

- the super slow foursome wouldn't let us through until #13. They skipped 1/2 of #11, but we still were waiting on them on #12. One guy in our group tore a strip off the marshal who we'd tried to flag down on several occasions. He says, "you have to ask them to let you play through, then if they refuse, you talk to me". "That's actually your job, but since we're talking to you now - you didn't stop before - can you go talk with them". These people had 4 empty holes in front of them. I'm not sure without shouting across the course how you're supposed to ask someone to wave you through when they're racing off the tee just before you get there (every time) in order to not talk to you. Then they stall well before the landing area? Do you just bomb it over their heads?

 

- the courses in my area that send out the fewest carts have the nicest conditions, especially in the prime chipping areas around the greens. Probably just a coincidence.

 

I don't look down my nose at someone who choose to cart in a very hot and humid area. I have no beef with that. I do wonder why people choose to golf between 10:00 and 14:00, but that's another story. I do have an issue with someone forcing me to take a cart purely for revenue purposes, building a course where walking is not possible (I choose to spend my money elsewhere), and the 90 degree cart rule. If carts are so hard on the course you need to build a little paved road alongside the hole, then why not limit how many get sent out? Oh yeah, the revenue.



 

post #66 of 129

I have a feeling the same chimpanzees that are slow in the riding carts would be just as bad pushing or carrying their clubs.

 

Same goes for speedy walkers... would be speedy riders as well.

 

 

post #67 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschroeger View Post

I have a feeling the same chimpanzees that are slow in the riding carts would be just as bad pushing or carrying their clubs.

 

Same goes for speedy walkers... would be speedy riders as well.

 

 


Exactly right! It doesn't matter if someone is riding or walking, you are either a slow player or a fast player and that won't change regardless of how you get from what shot to the next. Almost every example in here about slow cart players refers to bad players who also play slow. What about good players who play fast? I can guarantee that me and 3 other friends could play in front of any 4 walkers and by the 3rd or 4th hole we would be gone and you would never see us again. I don't care how fast you play and walk, you would never catch us. But if we followed the walkers, we would be waiting almost every shot.
post #68 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschroeger View Post

I have a feeling the same chimpanzees that are slow in the riding carts would be just as bad pushing or carrying their clubs.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue107501 View Post

Exactly right! It doesn't matter if someone is riding or walking, you are either a slow player or a fast player and that won't change regardless of how you get from what shot to the next.

 

 

While I agree you are either a slow player or fast player, I disagree with the first quote. What happens that makes carts slow is when Player A sits and waits while Player B hits their shot, then they drive over to Player A's ball and Player B sits and waits. If they were both walking directly to their balls, at least they wouldn't be wasting time like that. Or, Player A is done with the hole and in the cart ready to go to the next tee, but has to wait for Player B to get in the cart too (after probably collecting his wedge from the other side of the green). If they were both walking, at least Player A could be at the next tee and ready to go while Player B is catching up.

 

I understand that when used properly carts are faster than walking. I just rarely see them used properly.

post #69 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post



 

 

 

While I agree you are either a slow player or fast player, I disagree with the first quote. What happens that makes carts slow is when Player A sits and waits while Player B hits their shot, then they drive over to Player A's ball and Player B sits and waits. If they were both walking directly to their balls, at least they wouldn't be wasting time like that.

 

I understand that when used properly carts are faster than walking. I just rarely see them used properly.



Exactly right, walking is harder to f*ck up and the majority of walkers actively try to move faster. While there are certainly many skilled cart players out there, there are also a very significant number who seem to be oblivious or indifferent with regards to how to keep things moving along.

 

post #70 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisliveson View Post





Exactly right, walking is harder to f*ck up and the majority of walkers actively try to move faster. While there are certainly many skilled cart players out there, there are also a very significant number who seem to be oblivious or indifferent with regards to how to keep things moving along.

 

Same goes with people who walk. I have been stuck numerous times behind walkers who think they're out for an afternoon stroll and have a strong desire to look for balls on every hole.
 

 

post #71 of 129



A bad apple like that is a bad apple, period whether walking or riding. And many people are just ignorant and uninformed. Hence my point that since walking is simpler as you are responsible only for yourself, it's less susceptible to abuse. Cart riding comes with additional responsibilities and etiquette which just makes things all the more likely to get f*cked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post



Same goes with people who walk. I have been stuck numerous times behind walkers who think they're out for an afternoon stroll and have a strong desire to look for balls on every hole.
 

post #72 of 129

I would say I walk about 80% of the time. the exceptions would be:

- When it's a more casual round then normal, and there's beer involved and friends that aren't very good

-I'm playing a nicer course for the first time. I like to be able to drive up and check out blind shots, etc, and I don't know if it's a "cart course" or not

-I'm playing 18 before work and won't have time to shower. I sweat like a pig in the summer when I walk 5 miles and carry the bag.

 

Until about 5 years ago, I rode pretty much no matter what. Then I decided I was going to lose some weight (ok, the dr said to lose a lot) and I started going to the gym. It became harder for me to justify riding to myself on a regular basis. That being said, I don't judge people either way. I do think if the course is wide open, I can play faster in a cart, but I also think it wouldn't make a difference to a lot of people, they are just slow.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Do you ride or walk the course?