or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Tiger will not win another major
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tiger will not win another major - Page 4

Poll Results: Will Tiger Win a 15th Major?

 
  • 57% (19)
    Yes
  • 42% (14)
    No
33 Total Votes  
post #55 of 130

I wasn't able to watch much Tiger this weekend, but just looking at the stats he's still having some swing consistency issues and putting issues.

 

His drives are averaging over 300 yds so he still has power, but his GIR isn't that great. He's still well behind the leaders in putting stats, but part of that may also be due to issues with iron accuracy and missing scoring spots on the fairways.

 

On a web-broadcast I just watched Tiger's warm-up swing on the par-3 15th hole, and he looked like he was really thinking during his two practice-swings, but also appeared relaxed.  Since he's not going to win he's taking the right attitude to use the last round to practice a few things.  Hope he gets things fixed for next week.

post #56 of 130
Having watched some coverage and looked at Shot Tracker, I'd say he needs to get his long game cleared up. He is really spraying the ball everywhere but on the fairway this week.

His putting doesn't seem too bad, short game perhaps a bit dodgy, but he did put himself in a lot of difficult places.

The GIR is surprisingly high, considering his driving accuracy. Iron game is pretty good once he gets the number right.

Driving accuracy:

Round 1: 36%
Round 2: 57%
Round 3: 29%
Round 4: 39%

Greens in regulation:

Round 1: 67%
Round 2: 61%
Round 3: 72%
Round 4: 61%

Many of his missed fairways were not too far into the rough, which left him a good shot at the green, but it still makes it hard to make birdies. At the same time, he had a lot of big misses, putting himself behind trees all over the place, having to shape shots almost 90º and going high over the trees. At one shot today, he was trying to hit it high over some trees on his approach and caught it a bit fat, getting it only around 100 yards.

You are always at a disadvantage when having to hit from the rough. Perhaps more so than normally on this course.

There is potential, but he must get his driver fixed before he can start contending. I don't see him being a part of the playoffs this year.
post #57 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by squaddie View Post

I wasn't able to watch much Tiger this weekend, but just looking at the stats he's still having some swing consistency issues and putting issues.

 

His drives are averaging over 300 yds so he still has power, but his GIR isn't that great. He's still well behind the leaders in putting stats, but part of that may also be due to issues with iron accuracy and missing scoring spots on the fairways.


His iron game was actually good, or at least solid.  He struggled off the tee though, and didn't give himself many chances at clear approach shots.  When he did, he took advantage of them pretty well.  I don't know that he can get that cleaned up in time for next week, but he should be fine by the next season of majors as long as he doesn't re-injure himself.

 

Brandon

post #58 of 130

my .02

 

- putting wasn't as bad as commentators or tiger will lead you to believe.  I do think he's freezing over the ball before pulling the trigger on some putts and that might be due to rust.  Easy fix.

 

- driving accuracy over the weekend was the major problem.  His bogeys and worse all came from drives way off line, especially the double-cross variety.  He likes to go after the ball off the tee but I don't think his new swing or soft spikes allows him to do so anymore. 

 

- iron game is as impressive as ever IMO. 

 

Overall I think his tempo and the timing of his routine was a little inconsistent, I would put him as a favorite this week and if he can focus on the process, keep his balance, and swing within himself I think he'll contend. 

post #59 of 130

Anyone watching the PGA Championship can see Woods is done being a contender. I don't think Rory has it in him to be a major player either.

post #60 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerBuster View Post

Anyone watching the PGA Championship can see Woods is done being a contender. I don't think Rory has it in him to be a major player either.


Yeah....

post #61 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerBuster View Post

Anyone watching the PGA Championship can see Woods is done being a contender. I don't think Rory has it in him to be a major player either.


To your first point, Ryo Ishikawa shot an 85. Granted he's much younger, but he also hasn't already won 14 majors. And Rory (who, after his U.S. Open win, is, by definition, a major player) shot a 70 with a sprained wrist so.....
post #62 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

Jack won 17 majors in 18 years. Then he shot a great back 9 and got a 72nd hole gift from Norman in 1986. The bulk of his majors came in an 18 year span and he had a boatload of top 3s too. He had a lot of chances to win and made good 17 times in those 18 years.

 

Since '09, Tiger's contended at Augusta National and Pebble Beach. So that gives him one chance every year, and whenever they hold the Open at Pebble. Making up stats is fun. Seriously though, in spite of the runs he was on getting to 14, I'd be in no way surprised if he never won a tounament again. Any tournament.


Exactly right in summing up Jack's majors run. I get so tired of people stating "Jack won his last major at age 46, so Tiger has at least 10 years to break his record". The fact is Jack was effectively done as a major championship winner after turning 41. Over the next 20 majors before winning the 86' Masters Jack had only 3 top 3s. And now, at age 35 Tiger has exactly the same amount of majors as Jack had, but has played 15 seasons on the PGA Tour compared to Jack's 14 at age 35 and that is a factor in the wear and tear every bit as much as age. Tiger doesn't have plenty of time, it's running out on him.

 

post #63 of 130

Statistics... meh. All he needs is to have a balance of feeling fresh, and feeling in tune with the game. I'm gonna say he wins one next season. My guess is the U.S. Open.

 

The only thing I think that could go against him if he's feelin good is the young talent.

post #64 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerBuster View Post

Anyone watching the PGA Championship can see Woods is done being a contender. I don't think Rory has it in him to be a major player either.



I agree. It's so obvious. Guy should just quit now. Rory too, cuz he sucks.

 

/sarcasm.

post #65 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post





I agree. It's so obvious. Guy should just quit now. Rory too, cuz he sucks.

 

/sarcasm.


That Ryo guy too, what a bum.
post #66 of 130

Won't win another major.... I think he will win another one

 

 

I say that 3 years ago I was pretty certain he would at least tie Jacks record and now I'm pretty certain he won't. 

post #67 of 130

3 outta every 4 majors each year require throwing your approach shot onto the green. The British Open allows you to run your ball up.  In the British your older more experienced player does not have an overwhelming disadvantage because of loss of distance.  Year in and year out the experienced [older] player will have a chance to renew his youth at the British.....At the US Open, the Masters and the PGA the length required will make it much more difficult for the older golfer to compete.  Not that he won't but he'll need to have an out of body experience vs just having a superb week at the British.  Examine the records of the older players at the US. PGA and Masters.....So maybe an Old guy will win, but he'll win the British and only the British. 

post #68 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOG4 View Post

3 outta every 4 majors each year require throwing your approach shot onto the green. The British Open allows you to run your ball up.  In the British your older more experienced player does not have an overwhelming disadvantage because of loss of distance.  Year in and year out the experienced [older] player will have a chance to renew his youth at the British.....At the US Open, the Masters and the PGA the length required will make it much more difficult for the older golfer to compete.  Not that he won't but he'll need to have an out of body experience vs just having a superb week at the British.  Examine the records of the older players at the US. PGA and Masters.....So maybe an Old guy will win, but he'll win the British and only the British. 



Some older players also contend at The Masters every year because 1.) it's early in their season, 2.) the venue is relatively unchanged (albeit lengthened) year to year (most notably they know the greens), and if they've ever won it, they're in the field every year so number of attempts are in their favour.

 

 

post #69 of 130

Crazy talk in my opinion. One thing that everyone who plays golf should be able to agree on, is that there are no guarantees. The simple answer is, the OP doesn't know if Tiger will win and neither do any of us. Like him or hate him, nobody knows. If you want to root against him that's one thing but to bring up statistics, in golf of all things let alone any sport, crazy..  Who knew the Giants would have won the World Series from prior to the season? Who knew the Mavericks would win the NBA Championship? Better yet, who knew exactly who was going to win each of the past 4 majors in golf by name and score?

There are no guarantees in sports. Everything is a variable - any given Sunday does apply.

post #70 of 130

How about discussing this question first: "Will Tiger win another PGA tournament?"

 

Then we can discuss about majors IMHO...

post #71 of 130

He'll find a girl to settle down with and he will come back, give it time, he just had a traumatic short amount of time in his life..

post #72 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post

How about discussing this question first: "Will Tiger win another PGA tournament?"

 

Then we can discuss about majors IMHO...

I grew up a huge Jack Niclaus fan. In fact I have one of his 1986 Masters putters and use it today. I have never rooted for Tiger.  BUT   I'm a gambling man.  I'd take the bet Will Tiger win another PGA tournament and I'd bet the ranch.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Tiger will not win another major