Ok my last post on this topic.
I have seen some good arguments here and I have seen some extremely poorly thought out arguments (some of them my own)
Here is just a recap of what I think
Good arguments made for Golf Being Obnoxious.
1. As was brought up before the amount of land being taken up. It is an extreme amount when you think of it.
2. We mostly all have our handicap in our signature (whether to show it off or not) and we sometimes judge a poster by that same number. I am part of a Track forum and I don't go around with my 100 meter dash time showing. Golf is also one of the only sports where you can get rewarded for being you (scores adjusted for handicaps).
3. We drive around in golf carts (some of them can get a bit showy).
4. Beer is allowed (sometimes encouraged) while you golf. I think we all know a drunken golfer story.
5. A course charging 500 (sometimes even more) dollars for a round is in my opinion is ridiculous. Some one might not think it is ridiculous but that is my opinion.
(I'm sure there is more)
Good arguments for Golf not being Obnoxious.
1. This was touched on briefly in a previous post. Golf is no longer just a game. It is an industry. So many people are employed with something related to golf. Whether it be club technologies, teaching pro, greens keeper, or any other job they are all earning a career.
2. If the land for golf was changed was used for something else there is no proof that the land would become something better. I also agree with this, but there is the off chance that it could provide a useful necessary service. But it also could not.
3. Golf has been around a long time. The face of the game might be changing but its history makes it elite. If it comes across as obnoxious so be it. It has history to back up its actions.
4. There are cheap courses too. These courses as I have expressed before make money off of heavy trafficking to there place. And as in reason number 1 they are a business just trying to make money.
(I'm sure there is more)
Poor argumentative reasons I have read in this topic.
1. Any argument that pointed a finger at something else. Hunting, cars, houses, churches, and even Universities would said to be just as bad. If I go to the park and throw down an empty can, and the guy next to me throws down an empty 6 pack, does that mean that I did not litter? No we are both litterers.
2. Any one trying to bash farming and its practices. I don't really want to dive into this but they are making a living and providing a necessary service. Farming is hard, many its my fault that they were brought up as the alternative.
Best resoning that i have read in this topic.
1. The industry aspect of golf and how it is as much a business as anything else.
2. There is 900 million acres of farmland and only 4 million acres of golf land (roughly). While those 4 million acres could help they aren't ending world hunger.
Things that just downright made me mad in this topic.
1. People who chopped up what i said and then quoted it. This is not cool. You discredit yourself when you do this. If you are going to quote some one quote the whole post and not just one sentence of an entire paragraph that fits your point. Especially when the rest of the paragraph would disprove your logic.
2. People who take what other posters say and try to credit it as coming from one source. I never brought up the housing situation, or the car situation. Yet in a recent post someone said by your logic I can't live in a house or own an expensive car. I was actually defending the housing and car situation, saying housing is more important, and cars are built and sold for profit margins. But I guess if you don't read the whole topic you would never know.
3. The trolling comments. I made this topic in a golf forum because I knew I would get golf related responses, not "BURN DOWN THE COURSE HUAHHH" like I could get on a website not related to golf. People got a little defensive and so be it.
FInally what I think
Golf is awesome I love to play. It takes up a lot of land but I can be selfish and be ok with it taking up as much land as it needs. I can be obnoxious at times. I've yelled after sinking a 30 foot birdie putt. And if I hit a monster drive way past my friend I'll make sure he sees where my ball landed. Watch a Jack Hamm video and you will see how golf can be obnoxious. You can say that he doesn't represent the game. But he's a golfer and golfers represent golf. You get obnoxious people in every sport. I don't think any one should point a finger at any other activity like a university, But just be ok with how golf is.