or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Mickelson - Hinge and Hold... hmmm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mickelson - Hinge and Hold... hmmm

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

He talks about staying away from anyone that tries to teach not breaking the wrists. However, as I sit there and watch him he seems to break the wrists greatly on the back swing and then just ever so slightly on the down swing. When he reaches the ball his wrists seem pretty stationary from there on out to me.

 

Seems like he is adding in something that may not need to be there? ie. If you hinge and hold before you start the back swing isn't it pretty much the same swing without the extra movement of breaking the wrist until impact?

 

 

 

post #2 of 12
He does not break the wrist at impact...

Your post is very confusing. Of course he breaks the wrist on the backswing, he is hingeing on the backswing on holding the hinge on the downswing...
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

Looks to me like he breaks a little on the down swing but let's just say for arguments sake that he doesn't.

 

I'm just wondering if already being in the hinged position before you start the swing is really that much different than Hinging on the backswing then Holding when you start the downswing. Seems to me starting Hinged and Holding before you start the swing might be more consistent.

post #4 of 12

When I viewed the segment I take it that as he's talking about those that advocate the putting stroke for chipping. Holding the hinge as your turn through the shot is not the same thing IMHO.

 

_vf

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpter View Post

He talks about staying away from anyone that tries to teach not breaking the wrists. 

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpter View Post

Looks to me like he breaks a little on the down swing but let's just say for arguments sake that he doesn't.

I'm just wondering if already being in the hinged position before you start the swing is really that much different than Hinging on the backswing then Holding when you start the downswing. Seems to me starting Hinged and Holding before you start the swing might be more consistent.


Ok, I see what you are saying and it makes sense, there are actually people that press their hands forward before they start the backswing to pre-hinge the wrist. And from that point it is just back and thru but be sure to maintain the hold thru the downswing... I am a lefty and have been using this for awhile, the hinge and hold is the only shot I do inside 80 yards...
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post

When I viewed the segment I take it that as he's talking about those that advocate the putting stroke for chipping. Holding the hinge as your turn through the shot is not the same thing IMHO.

 

_vf

 



In the full length video from the DVD he says something to the effect of "if anyone tells you not to break your wrists stay away from them and go to someone that knows what they hell they are talking about". Also in other videos of the hinge and hold on youtube he actually goes as far as to say there is only one technique that works (ie. Hinge and Hold) "you have to break your wrists going back".

 

I think the DVD is going to be a good teaching tool for my father as he really likes to break his wrists on the backswing. For me not so much as I was taught to get into the hinged position before starting the backswing. Seems like 2 ways of getting at the same swing but the difference being that hinging before the backswing takes one of the variables out of the swing.

 

Seems like Phils DVD has helped a lot of people around here which is great. I really hope my father takes to it as he has been struggling with his chipping. I just found it odd him saying someone that tells you not to break your wrists was someone that didn't know what they were talking about. Then again most sales pitches will try to tell their way is the best or only way.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpter View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post

When I viewed the segment I take it that as he's talking about those that advocate the putting stroke for chipping. Holding the hinge as your turn through the shot is not the same thing IMHO.

_vf



In the full length video from the DVD he says something to the effect of "if anyone tells you not to break your wrists stay away from them and go to someone that knows what they hell they are talking about". Also in other videos of the hinge and hold on youtube he actually goes as far as to say there is only one technique that works (ie. Hinge and Hold) "you have to break your wrists going back".

I think the DVD is going to be a good teaching tool for my father as he really likes to break his wrists on the backswing. For me not so much as I was taught to get into the hinged position before starting the backswing. Seems like 2 ways of getting at the same swing but the difference being that hinging before the backswing takes one of the variables out of the swing.

Seems like Phils DVD has helped a lot of people around here which is great. I really hope my father takes to it as he has been struggling with his chipping. I just found it odd him saying someone that tells you not to break your wrists was someone that didn't know what they were talking about. Then again most sales pitches will try to tell their way is the best or only way.


I believe he says that because 90 percent of the golfers out there let the clubhead pass the hands at impact. If you pre-set or hinge on the backswing is personal preference, but keeping the hands ahead of the clubhead is critical, this is where the "hold" part is so crucial...
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppedTin View Post



Ok, I see what you are saying and it makes sense, there are actually people that press their hands forward before they start the backswing to pre-hinge the wrist. And from that point it is just back and thru but be sure to maintain the hold thru the downswing... I am a lefty and have been using this for awhile, the hinge and hold is the only shot I do inside 80 yards...

 

Phil also presses his hands forward before take-off, very quickly though. Then he hinges more on backswing.
 

 

post #9 of 12

I get what your saying and pre hinging and then using the putting stroke is why your still a 10 handicap player critiquing Phil Mickelson.

 

hinge and hold gets your club head up and at a steeper angle to strike the ball with an aggressive blow.  which he discusses.   if you do it your way, the variables are endless. grass and or angles of the ground will have you too shallow or too fat...   with phil's "strike" of the golf ball he can eliminate a lot of shitty areas by staying aggressive through the grass/sand/bad lie/ or whatever.   trapping the ball and controlling distance.  ;) just what I get from it I'm a no body.... "hence why I don't correct a 5 time major winning champion

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLeah Fox View Post

I get what your saying and pre hinging and then using the putting stroke is why your still a 10 handicap player critiquing Phil Mickelson.

 

hinge and hold gets your club head up and at a steeper angle to strike the ball with an aggressive blow.  which he discusses.   if you do it your way, the variables are endless. grass and or angles of the ground will have you too shallow or too fat...   with phil's "strike" of the golf ball he can eliminate a lot of shitty areas by staying aggressive through the grass/sand/bad lie/ or whatever.   trapping the ball and controlling distance.  ;) just what I get from it I'm a no body.... "hence why I don't correct a 5 time major winning champion

Pretty aggressive response to a 2 year old thread. a2_wink.gif

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Pretty aggressive response to a 2 year old thread. a2_wink.gif

 

Yes.  Very strange indeed.

post #12 of 12
Poor Phil has come in for some criticism for his coined phrase.

Jeff Ritter has a video called hinge and fold which maybe more apt. He says to allow the wrist and right elbow to break.

Takes you on a more inside line and slightly shallows the AOA.
He doesn't talk about holding the angle but achieves the same result hands leading the club head through impact.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Mickelson - Hinge and Hold... hmmm