- itemClassic Golf Instructiontagged by System, 10/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- Free Lessons - Orlando, FL - 5 Simple Keys® (April 28, 29) Last post on 4/9/14 at 5:42pm in Instruction and Playing Tips
- Great Players and Bad Information Last post on 3/25/12 at 6:41pm in Instruction and Playing Tips
- Has anyone ever seen this guy's videos and blog - Monte Scheinblum Last post on 4/8/12 at 10:48pm in Instruction and Playing Tips
- Are most amateur golfers being mislead on how to swing? Last post on 3/29/12 at 12:00pm in Instruction and Playing Tips
- Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball) Last post on 11/26/14 at 2:44pm in Swing Thoughts
Initial Comments When I traveled to a local Golfsmith to test drivers (I try to do this once a year or so just to see if there have been any significant improvements), I honestly didn't expect to...
Here in the Seattle area if you are going to golf in the fall, winter, or spring, you are going to be getting wet and walking through very wet grass, mud and maybe even standing water. After...
When you spend $24 for a pair of underwear, you expect a few things. Comfort Durability Feels the same use after use. Mack Weldon makes these claims for their Boxer Brief, but misses...
I bought this cart after deciding that paying $4 for the lousy pull cart rentals was a sucker's plan with the frequency of my playing golf and at $99, this cart made a ton of sense, financially....
I like to play in cooler weather. What I don't like it bulky outerwear that restricts my golf swing. I searched out a number of lighter weight tops for fall golf. I tried on Oakley, Adidas,...
The Mental Game in Two Words - Page 4
It is clear to me from observing athletes in action that some are helped by seeing the glass half full (positive) and some are helped by seeing the glass half empty (negative). It probably depends on the person's history of managing situations where call for improvement.
One of the best reasons for thinking positively that I have seen came from self-help guru Depak Chopra. He said that if you can manage a problem by either seeing the glass half full or half empty, seeing it half full will lead to a better quality solution to the problem. At first, I thought, "what difference does it make if you can manage it either way?" Then I realized that simply managing it doesn't mean equal quality of the final solution. The implication of seeing it half full is that (1) your muscles will be more relaxed, (2) you won't have to divert any mental energy to managing any stress that might result from seeing the glass half empty, and (3) you will have more of your mental capacity to devote to the task at hand.
The above advice was based on a person's ability to see it either way. If a person is unable to see it half full, then the improvement he/she can get by seeing it half empty may surpass what he/she can gain by trying to see it half full. One of those zero-sum games in life, but even zero sum games can be overcome by adding resources.
Twenty years ago, I would have considered this as psychology mumbo jumbo, but I gained some wisdom in those twenty years. My career was in one where the ability to see the glass half empty was important.
I ran into this at a mixed format 3 day tournament. It was down to me against someone that I was well matched up with. We were in match play and I had to win for my team to win the tourney. My opponent had the honor and he duffed it right in the water. Of course the first thing I thought of was just get it over the water. Took the pressure (as my drives were less than great the previous two days) and smacked my drive about 260 dead center of the fairway. Wound up pretty much winning the tourney with that drive as his next drive was in the woods so ended up laying on the green putting for birdie and 4 strokes to win.
- The Mental Game in Two Words
- › What is the most important aspect of golf that you think can... 58 seconds ago
- › The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin) 3 minutes ago
- › Too many fittings going on! 8 minutes ago
- › Etiquette disagreement with my wife 9 minutes ago
- › My Swing (Ernest Jones) 11 minutes ago
- › Unplayables in a Bunker 20 minutes ago
- › Etiquette question - jumping holes 31 minutes ago
- › Winter Depression Thread 34 minutes ago
- › Why Flaring Your Feet at Address Makes Golf Easier 38 minutes ago
- › 2014 NCAA Football 39 minutes ago
- › PING G30 Driver by Pretzel
- › Oregon Mudders Winter Golf Boots CM700 - Mens by drifterdon
- › Mack Weldon Men's Boxer Brief Underwear by boogielicious
- › CaddyTek One-click Folding 4-wheel Golf Push Cart, CaddyCruiser... by dkolo
- › Nike Men's Dri-Fit Performance Standard Fit Golf... by boogielicious
- › Bridgestone e6 by TOMM
- › Serola Sacroiliac Belt by Divot Master
- › FishFit Golf Fitness App by boogielicious
- › Bobby Jones Golf 4 Wood - 17 by Mr. Desmond
- › Callaway Golf Big Bertha V Series Fairway Wood --- 15.5 by Mr. Desmond
- › Helpful Instructional Threads and Links
- › Cobra Golf Bio Cell Series
- › Embedding Links to TST Resources - Tutorial
- › Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Series
- › Augusta National Course Prints from...
- › Cobra Golf AMP Cell Technology
- › TheSandTrap #onebucket Twitter Sweepstakes
- › Nike Covert - The New 2013 Clubs
- › Lamkin Show Us Your Grips Contest
- › Lamkin Facebook Sweepstakes