Having recently discovered that prefer forged irons over cast irons I've been doing various pieces of research into each. Through that research I found many golf club component manufacturers who will only supply master club makers and one that comes up a lot is Tom Wishon. Now I understand that Tom's going to be peddling his own wares and craft to us punters but I'd love to hear other people's perspective on big manufacturers versus independent clubmakers using club components.
The way it seems to me is that there are benefits to both:
- Completely custom clubs that fit your swing perfectly.
- Average price. Not exactly cheap but not a patch on some of the big brands.
- Ability to take the club back to your clubmaker without needing anything to be sent away.
- Able to have then customised to 75% of what you'd get from an independent.
- Generally better looking clubs.
- The types of guarantee you get with buying anything from a major brand.
- Confidence that you're hitting a quality product.
- Large price range. Likely to find something to fit your budget.
- On-course kudos for having the latest and greatest.
I have a master clubmaker at my local course who has offered to create a free 6i for me to try out with any spec I want and have it tweaked as many times as I want for free until I'm happy with it. If I never become happy with it I won't be charged and I have no timespan for my "trial". This seems to indicate an unwaivering confidence in his own ability and the quality of what he creates.
All of my static fitting measurements were taken yesterday so I'll report back with photos etc when it's been created and after I've been out and played it on course for a while I'll share my thoughts. From memory the clubhead will be an Orka RS5 head to start out with and see what my contact and ball flight are like. The shaft will be a True Temper Dynamic Gold although I don't remember the spec. There's also a possibility of a mix and match of the RS1, RS3 and RS5 for different clubs which I like.
Fingers crossed it'll be as good as I hope but I'm reserving judgement for now.
So do you play a fully custom set of clubs? If yes what do you play and if no is there any reason why?