Originally Posted by elementz
Well, I think I narrowed down my 2012 golf goals. It seems I haven't really progressed over the last 3 years (read: break 100 consistently) but I am looking to attempt to practice just as much as I play. Not sure how often I will get out but I am hoping at least 20 times.
1. Consistently shoot in the 90's - Last July I bought an Iphone and checked out some golf apps. Downloaded Golfshot (lite) which is an awesome app for scorecard/stat tracking. Was only able to log 5 rounds so my stats are terrible and skewed. My scoring avg over those 5 rounds shows as 105 (111,108,102,100,109 - The 100 I shot 5 weeks later on the same course as the 111 - nice eh). Like most of us Sand Trappers....after each round, I think back on how many shots I lost out on whether they were penalty strokes, easy missed putt, top the ball, fat shots, etc..The last round I had for example was a 109 and I fired my first 4 tee shots into the woods.
Result - I played 13 rounds and shot in the 90s twice (92 & 94). My avg score was 104.87...although if I removed my first round last season (117), it would drop about 2 strokes but that wouldn't be fair now would it.
2. Average 36 putts per round - My putting is hit or miss and is something that I have worked on quite a bit in my basement this past winter. I have a much better grip now with less wrist action and am looking forward to hitting some practice greens and trying some drills. I had no problem draining 20 footers last year to save a double bogey :) Small sample size again, but for my 5 rounds last year, my putts show as 39/round. Since this will be the first year of fully tracking stats, 36 seems like a nice round number...
Result - My putting came in at 38.61 putts per round Four of my first five rounds, my putts were in the 40+ range. The other 8 rounds, I played around with my putting grip and my avg came down to 35.84 which would have acheieved my goal...but I can't exclude rounds, however, it shows that I was making progress. I will be picking up a new putter soon (Odyseey 2 ball) that I can't wait to use. I also tracked my number of 3 putts....I avg 5 a round. Definitely got to lower that.
3. Fairways hit at 35% - For my FH and GIR, I had no idea what to put for an achievable goal so I kind of pulled the numbers out of my rear and will see how I do. They aren't very high but I am trying to be realistic. If I find out halfway thru the season that I am smashing these particular goals then I will readjust...I should be able to hit at least 5 fairways per round....especially the way I have been cranking the driver at the range...hope it translates to the course.
Result - Well, I am pleased to say that I killed this goal by hitting the short grass at 44.59%. I neglected to track my club distances but I know I am not very long off the tee, 200-220 yards. A lot of shots off the tee came from my 3W which helps. There were some rounds where I was dead on and other rounds where I couldn't help but slice and hook it all over the course.
4. Greens in Regulation at 20% - Again, wasn't sure which % to aim for but this seems about right for me. I am not very long off the tee and I can't hit my irons very well consistently so I have a hard time hitting GIR....but I think I can try and manage 3-4 per round. I would like to be able to start learning my distances with each club too....
Result - Hard to score well when you're not hitting those GIRs, and I wasn't even close. My GIR avg was 7.69%, that's not even 2 a round. Goes to show you how my bad my iron game is. I am striking the ball better but the one thing that gives me trouble is my alignment/aim....and that's not just with my irons, goes for my putter as well. I have hit my ball dead straight a few times, only to be 30 yards to the right of the green since that is where I was aiming (unknown to me). I need to find a drill or tips to help me with this....the train tracks just don't work for me.
5. Reduce Penalties - I really believe this is what kills my score most days....always nailing balls into the woods or in to the drink...My goal is ultimately zero but will start keeping track to see how they affect my score at the end of the day.
Result - Same ol Same ol....Averaged 3.65 penalties per round....tack on your penaltie strokes and the trouble that comes with it adds about 7-8 strokes to my score. The course where I shot my best round (92), I played the same course a few weeks later and shot a 103 with 7 penalties. . Ugly
6. Reduce Fat/Thin shots - Would like to eliminate these all together...I am always good for a few bad ones every round so it will be nice to try and fully eliminate those types of shots...nothing worse than teeing off on a 500+ par 5 only to top the ball and have it roll 20 yards. Makes for a much longer hole ;)
Result - Well, I am pleased to say that I cut out almost all fat/thin shots out of my game since I switched to S&T. I can't recall if I topped the ball at all last season, though I definitely did hit some fat shots taking a few massive divots out of the course. The only time where I feel I really mishit shots is when I am on a slope. Other than that, I am pretty happy the way I struck the ball.
7. Walk vs Ride - I like to walk more than ride as I am out of shape and this helps, but on those super hot and humid days, I would rather cart just for the shade and the small breeze I get...I don't do well in the sun at all. I usually have to slap on 70 SPF multiple times in the day. After each round, I will note on whether I walked or used a cart....will be interesting to see how each affects my score if at all over the season.
Result - Didn't track this but I probably walked slightly than riding a cart.
8. Finish top 4 on my "Guys Golf Trip" - Every June me and 7 other guys head to PEI for the weekend and play a couple of rounds. Awesome times but for the 3 years that I have been going, I never finished better than 7th. It's not competitive but there are some bragging rights. 2 of the 8 are pretty decent but the other 5 guys are right around where I am in skill level....A small personal goal of mine to have a good showing on what is always a great trip.
Result - Came 6th of 8. We go in the middle of June and the season doesn't usually open up to May. I am hoping to get more practice in before this years trip as the courses we usually play are a little more tougher than my local tracks.
9 - Establish Handicap - No idea what my handicap is but I am sure it's in the 20-30 range. This will be the year that I finally figure it out and stick with it. That will help with a goal for 2013 to lower it whatever it may be at the end of this year.
Result - I didn't look to much into this as I didn't play too many rounds but I am sure it's probably pretty high.
There you have it..those are my quantifiable goals for 2012.