or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf Handicap Calculator
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf Handicap Calculator

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

Does anyone have / know of a Microsoft Excel template which calculates your handicap?  I go to golf.com and must enter ALL of my rounds after every round I play to determine my handicap.  I wanted a free template which calculates it for me so I can save the information and edit it after each round.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

post #2 of 27

Where's iacas!? It's the perfect time to buff up Scorecard!

post #3 of 27

It's super easy to right the formula yourself to get the HC score for each round.  Say you write in a bunch of stats about the round in a row 1, with column A being your score, column B being the course rating from the tees you played, and column C being the course slope from the tees you played.  Then your index score for that round is:

 

=(A1 - B1) * (113 / C1) * 0.95

 

Say that formula is in column D.  If you've entered at least 20 rounds, then your HC is just the average of the best 10.  There's definitely a better way to get that average, but an easy way to get it is to use the SMALL function.  SMALL takes two arguments.  The first is the array of values, in this case D1:D20.  The second is the rank of the value you want.  So if you want the second smallest value, you would type "=SMALL(D1:D20, 2)".  So you could put into some cell the formula:

 

=(SMALL(D1:D20, 1) + SMALL(D1:D20, 2) + SMALL(D1:D20, 3) + ... + SMALL(D1:D20, 10)) / 10

 

Where the ... signifies using that same SMALL formula for ranks 4 through 9.

 

Alternatively, there are plenty of free handicap trackers for both the PC and your phone.  I use the "Handicap" app for my android phone.  It doesn't keep tons of stats.  Just FWs, GIR, and penalties.  But you can enter courses and rounds and it'll keep your HC for you and keep track of those other three stats as well.  

post #4 of 27

I have an excel file.... if you want to shoot me a PM with your email address, I'd be happy to send it your way.

post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post


=(A1 - B1) * (113 / C1) * 0.95

 

The multiplier is actually 0.96.

 

Also you can make it a little more elegant by keeping a second sheet with an identifier for each course (and each set of tees, if you play different ones) on a row along with the rating and slope. Then you can just enter the course/tee identifier and have it automatically look up the rating and slope from the second sheet (instead of entering those numbers every time you play that course/tee). For example, here's my formula for finding the differential:

 

ROUND((A1-VLOOKUP(B1,Courses!$A$3:$C$102,2,FALSE))*113/VLOOKUP(B1,Courses!$A$3:$C$102,3,FALSE),1)

 

In this example, B1 is the course/tee identifier and A1 is the score I shot. "Courses" is the name of a second sheet with the courses on it, where column A is the course/tee identifier that I enter with my score on the first sheet, column B is the rating, and column C is the slope. The Course sheet has a list of courses from row 3 to row 102. The third argument in the VLOOKUPs is the column number for the value I'm looking for (column 2 for rating, column 3 for slope), and the 4th argument (FALSE) tells VLOOKUP to find an exact match, not an approximate one.

 

Just as an example of what I mean by a course/tee identifier, I might use "DOB" for Diamond Oaks blue tees.

 

There may be better ways of doing this - I am by no means an Excel expert.

 

(Also note that the 0.96 multiplier is not in my formula because I do that when I average the 10 best.)

 

post #6 of 27

Yahoo has a golf handicap tracker, which I use -

 

http://golf.sports.yahoo.com/tracker

post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

The multiplier is actually 0.96.

 

Also you can make it a little more elegant by keeping a second sheet with an identifier for each course (and each set of tees, if you play different ones) on a row along with the rating and slope. Then you can just enter the course/tee identifier and have it automatically look up the rating and slope from the second sheet (instead of entering those numbers every time you play that course/tee). For example, here's my formula for finding the differential:

 

ROUND((A1-VLOOKUP(B1,Courses!$A$3:$C$102,2,FALSE))*113/VLOOKUP(B1,Courses!$A$3:$C$102,3,FALSE),1)

 

In this example, B1 is the course/tee identifier and A1 is the score I shot. "Courses" is the name of a second sheet with the courses on it, where column A is the course/tee identifier that I enter with my score on the first sheet, column B is the rating, and column C is the slope. The Course sheet has a list of courses from row 3 to row 102. The third argument in the VLOOKUPs is the column number for the value I'm looking for (column 2 for rating, column 3 for slope), and the 4th argument (FALSE) tells VLOOKUP to find an exact match, not an approximate one.

 

Just as an example of what I mean by a course/tee identifier, I might use "DOB" for Diamond Oaks blue tees.

 

There may be better ways of doing this - I am by no means an Excel expert.

 

(Also note that the 0.96 multiplier is not in my formula because I do that when I average the 10 best.)

 


To get an accurate index you also have to do the rounding correctly.  Differentials are rounded to the nearest tenth.  Then the Index is truncated to the tenths place.

post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post


To get an accurate index you also have to do the rounding correctly.  Differentials are rounded to the nearest tenth.  Then the Index is truncated to the tenths place.



Yep. I"m rounding in the formula I posted, and I'm truncating when I do the average and multiply by 0.96, which I didn't post. I was assuming the OP knew the formula and was just asking how to implement it in Excel, so I didn't go into more detail... but you're right to point that out.

post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all of your reply's.  I truly appreciate the help!!!

post #10 of 27

Can u send me your excel file for handicap tracking?? Bmervar19@gmail.com

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Mervar View Post
 

Can u send me your excel file for handicap tracking?? Bmervar19@gmail.com

Sorry... just saw this. You should have it now.

 

BTW, Welcome to The Sand Trap. I hope that you stick around; it's a great community to be apart of.

post #12 of 27

Hi there... would you be willing to send me the excel spreadsheet as well?  Thank you!  slevy53@live.com

post #13 of 27
If you could send it to me as well, I would certainly appreciate it. 14ledo81@gmail.com
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by slevy53 View Post

Hi there... would you be willing to send me the excel spreadsheet as well?  Thank you!  slevy53@live.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

If you could send it to me as well, I would certainly appreciate it. 14ledo81@gmail.com

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a spreadsheet to calculate an invalid handicap index, when you can obtain a genuine, valid index for $25 or so per year?
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post



Just out of curiosity, why would you want a spreadsheet to calculate an invalid handicap index, when you can obtain a genuine, valid index for $25 or so per year?

 

Is it invalid to use an excel spreadsheet?

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post



Just out of curiosity, why would you want a spreadsheet to calculate an invalid handicap index, when you can obtain a genuine, valid index for $25 or so per year?


That's what I was wondering as well. sure it'd be nice just to know for your own interest but it's useless if you want to enter any tournaments.

post #17 of 27
I don't play in any tournaments, and have no plans to. Strictly for my own interest. Mainly to gauge progress.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

I don't play in any tournaments, and have no plans to. Strictly for my own interest. Mainly to gauge progress.

Then track your average score..... One mathematical calculation means no more than another for your purpose.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf Handicap Calculator