or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Stevie Williams - Racist?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stevie Williams - Racist? - Page 3

post #37 of 169
I wonder how many pints he had before he opened his mouth? I couldn't believe the @&!# he spouted after his boss won a golf tournament earlier this year. Why would this surprise anybody? Who knows if he's a racist, but the guy appears to have no clue.
post #38 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

 

Steve Williams said what he said because he is ignorant and a fool. He is probably not racist, but made an outrageously stupid comment.


 

 


Well Shorty and I probably wont' ever agree on Ms. Wei's IQ but I agree with this.  Steve Williams is just angry about how Tiger handled his termination and he feels (his own words)  he had been more than just a caddie  through thick and thin and deserved better.  Like a lot of us when we're angry we can say things we later regret and I think it is as simple as that.  He isn't a racists in my opinion, but the remark wasn't well thought out for sure and could certainly lead one to that conclusion.  But as I said I believe Steve Williams just engaged his mouth before his brain was in gear and he isn't a racists.  

 

post #39 of 169

I agree with you generally, but how long can Stevie rely on the "he's angry & emotional" excuse? Personally, he needs to let it go b/c he has not yet.  Professionally, he should receive well-deserved criticism for a shit*y jab at someone.

 

I disagree with people who think the use of the word "black" was okay.  It may not have been his intent to be racist, but he meant to be racial (the difference in the terms to me is that Stevie doesn't hate Black folk in general). Anyone know if Stevie's ever said, "We took it to Phil's white ***" ?

 

At the end of the day, Stevie's fashioning his own punishment b/c those little side deal endorsements that he may have had a chance at - be it golf-related or driving-related - are disappearing thanks to his own actions!


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghalfaire View Post


Well Shorty and I probably wont' ever agree on Ms. Wei's IQ but I agree with this.  Steve Williams is just angry about how Tiger handled his termination and he feels (his own words)  he had been more than just a caddie  through thick and thin and deserved better.  Like a lot of us when we're angry we can say things we later regret and I think it is as simple as that.  He isn't a racists in my opinion, but the remark wasn't well thought out for sure and could certainly lead one to that conclusion.  But as I said I believe Steve Williams just engaged his mouth before his brain was in gear and he isn't a racists.  

 



 

post #40 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmdmbike View Post

I wonder how many pints he had before he opened his mouth?


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghalfaire View Post

But as I said I believe Steve Williams just engaged his mouth before his brain was in gear and he isn't a racist.  

 


People often say things drunk that they wouldn't say sober. What they really think, for example. a2_wink.gif

 

post #41 of 169

Racist-don't think so. Can't see a racist caddying for someone they have race issues with for 13 years. He's an idiot for sure and doesn't seem to get when to shut his mouth. If I were Scott I think I would tell him to keep it shut and carry the bag or that's it. Gives him an easy out next time Stevie goes off.

post #42 of 169

Williams was apparently drinking...

 

Tiger is black (among other ethnicities)

 

and many would say he is an a$$hole.

 

Stevie is correct, but not politically correct.

 

And many would say he is a white a$$hole.

 

The literalists, among us, would say, "nothing racist about it."

 

(Let's lighten up a little -- our society is a little too correct ... where is our color? lol)

post #43 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Stevie is correct, but not politically correct.

 

And many would say he is a white a$$hole.

 


Oh. Em. Gee.

I can't believe you called him white. How racist!

*sigh*

None of us know the connotations the phrase was used in so we really can't judge whether it was a racist remark or a perfectly fine and "normal" remark.

 

Take for instance a close friend of mine who's of Antiguan descent. He refers to all his black friends as n***er and they likewise to him (although he informed me that the pronunciation for them ends in "ah" rather than "er" and that "er" is racist and derogatory but "ah" for some reason isn't.) - I told him I find it all a bit strange and wouldn't even think about using the word but asked him if he'd be offended with me greeting him like that and he said "not in the slightest as I know the context you're using it in." however he also suggested not doing so around his friends as they would immediately assume I was being derogatory to him.

So anyway as stated above we don't know the context so we shouldn't be sticking our noses in and making assumptions. a1_smile.gif

post #44 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post


Oh. Em. Gee.

I can't believe you called him white. How racist!

*sigh*

None of us know the connotations the phrase was used in so we really can't judge whether it was a racist remark or a perfectly fine and "normal" remark.

 

Take for instance a close friend of mine who's of Antiguan descent. He refers to all his black friends as n***er and they likewise to him (although he informed me that the pronunciation for them ends in "ah" rather than "er" and that "er" is racist and derogatory but "ah" for some reason isn't.) - I told him I find it all a bit strange and wouldn't even think about using the word but asked him if he'd be offended with me greeting him like that and he said "not in the slightest as I know the context you're using it in." however he also suggested not doing so around his friends as they would immediately assume I was being derogatory to him.

So anyway as stated above we don't know the context so we shouldn't be sticking our noses in and making assumptions. a1_smile.gif


I believe the dinner was in the context of an "award" for biggest celebration in the form of a "roast."

 

i.e., lots of so-called humor.

 

post #45 of 169
The words themselves aren't overtly racist. Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it, and who's saying it. Stevie is repeatedly acting childish, making poor decision after poor decision despite the consequences. Charles Barkley is the only non professional comedian I can think of who could get laughs for saying something like this in front of an audience.
post #46 of 169
Stevie needs to shut his yapper and do his job. To say something like that at an event like that says something about him as a person.

We get it, you got fired, get over it.
post #47 of 169
Racist no...VERY unprofessional yes...That's a good way to tarnish the Adam Scott brand. He needs to just carry the bag and be quite. . If he does get fired a new job will not come as easy as it did before. No one wants that distraction.
post #48 of 169

If I were Adam Scott, I would wonder if Williams wanted to help me, or try to get back at Tiger. Williams should just say that he works for Scott, and does not work for Tiger.

post #49 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post


I believe the dinner was in the context of an "award" for biggest celebration in the form of a "roast."

 

i.e., lots of so-called humor.

 



If it was a real roast then anything goes. Most of the time the target is in the audience though, I think.

post #50 of 169

Stevie is Stevie ... accept him and protect yourself from him...c1_cursing.gif

post #51 of 169

"The dinner was attended by 100 caddies, players and guests and all had accepted their invitations on condition that they would not disclose what happened at the ceremony"

 

Shame that this story got out. I'd imagine there would have been a few things said that night just as bad z4_blink.gif

post #52 of 169

 

 

Quote:
"It was my aim to shove it right up that black arsehole," Williams said.

 

Sounds like Stevie and Tiger's former relationship was even closer than we knew.  e2_whistling.gif

 

 

 

 

 

post #53 of 169

Jesus everyone is racist these days. He's not Racist just an *******.

post #54 of 169

Steve Williams.  Racist?  Who knows?  Bitter?  Yes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Stevie Williams - Racist?