or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Stevie Williams - Racist?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stevie Williams - Racist? - Page 6

post #91 of 169

He's just angry at Tiger and said something stupid, probably to try and hurt him in some way.  He figured he could use the race card and get a little better stab that way.  Stupid, but that's probably what he was....reacting to.  I use the word reacting instead of thinking because he probably wasn't thinking much there.  It's just something people do.  I'm sure a lot of people have "racist" thoughts about Herman Cain, but love Obama.  It's something deeper than racial tension.

post #92 of 169
Greg Norman says - " the comments were 'stupid,' but he doesn't believe Williams is racist."

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2097479,00.html
post #93 of 169

AdqHgnbCEAAg3_r.jpg:large

post #94 of 169

If I run Titleist, I tell Adam Scott to get rid of Williams or Scott's deal with Titleist is done. I would not want my brand associated with this numb skull. As far as I know, people of all races buy golf equipment, and having Williams carrying a Titleist tour bag and wearing the hat is the advertising I would want. If you think this is far fetched, think back to Fuzzy's failed attempt at humor after Tiger's first Masters victory. If he didn't lose all his endorsements, he lost most of them. I know I am comparing the actions of a player to those of a caddy, but both stepped over the line.

 

post #95 of 169

I meant to say that is advertising I would not want. Sorry.

post #96 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac6 View Post

If I run Titleist, I tell Adam Scott to get rid of Williams or Scott's deal with Titleist is done. I would not want my brand associated with this numb skull. As far as I know, people of all races buy golf equipment, and having Williams carrying a Titleist tour bag and wearing the hat is the advertising I would want. If you think this is far fetched, think back to Fuzzy's failed attempt at humor after Tiger's first Masters victory. If he didn't lose all his endorsements, he lost most of them. I know I am comparing the actions of a player to those of a caddy, but both stepped over the line.

 


Personally, I think that is going too far. EVERYBODY has said something or done something they shouldn't have said or done in the heat of the moment, or when drunk etc. He doesn't deserve to lose everything for one stupid remark. I think it was a racist comment, but I don't think he is a racist.

 

post #97 of 169

I find it funny that Greg Norman came out to completely defend Stevie, but also to say he has NEVER seen racism in golf.

 

 

Quote:
Asked if racism is a problem in golf, Norman said he's "never seen it at all."

 

I think we are simply seeing a matter of captains rallying behind their players/caddys with the upcoming events approaching.

 

I am still very disappointed the PGA Tour has all but ignored this issue. Good old white boys club I guess. Almost like trying to sweep it under the rug. I think that says more about them then if they simply reported on it like every other publication in the world.

post #98 of 169

I'd agree if this was the first time Stevie said something stupid, but it's not.  I agree he might not be a racist, but the comment was racist as there was no reason for him to use the word "black" in his comment.  As for Titleist, it's their decision who they want to represent their brand and I'm sure their marketing people are watching the situation closely.   If there are any signs that Stevie is going to be tagged as a racist I'd bet they give Scott the option of firing Williams first.   

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh View Post


Personally, I think that is going too far. EVERYBODY has said something or done something they shouldn't have said or done in the heat of the moment, or when drunk etc. He doesn't deserve to lose everything for one stupid remark. I think it was a racist comment, but I don't think he is a racist.

 



 

post #99 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I'd agree if this was the first time Stevie said something stupid, but it's not.


One thing is saying something stupid, quite another is to say something racist. He was stupid to say something racist in front of so many people, knowing some of them would take offense and blab it to the golfing media.


Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

As for Titleist, it's their decision who they want to represent their brand and I'm sure their marketing people are watching the situation closely.

 

Knowing the world we live in, for sure. I am not for one minute condoning racism or racist comments, but this really is a case of PC gone mad.

post #100 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac6 View Post

If I run Titleist, I tell Adam Scott to get rid of Williams or Scott's deal with Titleist is done.


Perhaps it's just as well that you dom't "run" Titleist then.

Holding a player to ransom because his caddy made a pig of himself doesn't make a lot of sense.

 

 

post #101 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
As for Titleist, it's their decision who they want to represent their brand and I'm sure their marketing people are watching the situation closely.   

 

I would think that Titleist's marketing people are watching the situation in the same way that we all are. And not with a view to cancelling Scott's contract. How absurd.

Why not Aquascutum, Rolex or his other sponsors?

Are people going to stop buying Rolexes because Steve Williams is an idiot? Geez.

If you (not YOU) can't differentiate between Scott and Williams, you're a bit thick.

I hardly see how Williams' actions are going to make Titleist look bad. I mean, they sponsor every second player on the planet.

You have to have little faith in your own company if you thought that a player's caddy could tarnish your brand. 

 

 

post #102 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeljames92 View Post

You call someone black you're racist. A black man calls a caucasian 'white' and its ok. Society is way too PC these days. Sure williams is an idiot, but calling someone black doesn't mean you're a racist. After all Tiger Woods is dark skinned.


It's funny you say that because if you want to be technical, Black is the lowest percentage of "mix" that Tiger has in him.  He's actually more Asian than Black...so just labelling him as Black just because he's "dark" is an easy brush stroke.

 

As it pertains to Stevie, I don't think he's racist.  I honestly think he was trying to be funny but it came off completely and totally wrong and he deserves to take a little heat for it.  He should know better.

 

 

post #103 of 169

I'm just hoping for a Adam v Tiger match-up in singles play, that would be a "made for TV" match-up. I have visions of Adam Sandler and Bob Barker rolling down the hill..........anyway I would be rooting for Tiger and Stevie to duke it out!!

post #104 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope33 View Post

I'm just hoping for a Adam v Tiger match-up in singles play, that would be a "made for TV" match-up. I have visions of Adam Sandler and Bob Barker rolling down the hill..........anyway I would be rooting for Tiger and Stevie to duke it out!!


I wonder how much $$ would change hands if they could get Adam Scott and Tiger Woods to pose carrying a Valvoline bag for Stevie.
 

 

post #105 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith View Post

Quote:

 

As it pertains to Stevie, I don't think he's racist.  I honestly think he was trying to be funny but it came off completely and totally wrong and he deserves to take a little heat for it.  He should know better.

 

 


I agree. I think he said it in jest honestly thinking those in attendance were going to laugh with him. He's probably sat at home right now shaking his head trying to understand why this is happening to him.
 

 

post #106 of 169

For now, I'll chalk Stevie's comments up as the musings of a bitter old meathead.  Greg Norman, however, lost some points in my book for saying that he's never seen racism as a problem in golf.  I realize he wants to defend his friend, but come on.  He may not want to have a chat with the Charlie Siffords of the world. 

post #107 of 169

has Charlie Sifford  made a public comment on this topic...just out of curiosity.

post #108 of 169

Greg Norman

 

 

Quote:
Maybe I should report a little racial abuse as well. On the way out of the course yesterday, New Zealander - and a Maori - Michael Campbell, the 2005 US Open Champion, jokingly greeted me: "G'day you white arsehole. Are you offended?"

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Stevie Williams - Racist?