or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Can I Make the tour??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I Make the tour?? - Page 5

post #73 of 98

you need to start playing a lot of different courses besides Coyote Creek

post #74 of 98
Thread Starter 
post #75 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460CompMark View Post

you need to start playing a lot of different courses besides Coyote Creek
Yes this is my Canadian/USA I will upload australian where I play many different courses and tournaments
post #76 of 98
Thread Starter 
Thank you guys for all feedback .. I will continue my golf everyday knowing each day is one day closer.
post #77 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbond23 View Post

Thank you guys for all feedback .. I will continue my golf everyday knowing each day is one day closer.

Yeah that is some awesome improvement!  I don't see where you were ever a 20ish handicap though in 2011.  A low double digit handicap it looks like.  Shorty, it looks like you can stay around. c3_clap.gif

post #78 of 98

Look, you apparently have talent, but it takes consistency and a certain mentality.

 

I have a 22 yr old son. When he was 12, he began taking golf more seriously. By the time he was 18, he didn't do half of what I asked him to do, lift weights, practice, play more, and he shot low 70's as a hs senior. The problem was weather - if the weather sucked or wind blew, which resulted in long 6 hr rounds, he caved. Those 70's blew up to 80. He lost his focus. Body language was terrible.

 

And then when he started lifting weights at 19, he stopped playing ...  He says it's easy to hit the ball when you're strong. Yeah, I was telling him that for years. When he does play, he shoots 74-82 without practice. Scoring is not a problem for most good players, It's wanting it, consistency, and mental focus.

 

Point is - Listen to your Dad!  f3_laugh.gif No, really, as I said, if you work hard enough, young, and have talent, you can shoot low scores. Can you shoot low scores consistently and in crap conditions? Do you have tournament mentality?

 

Do you have what it takes? My son was a bit of a gambler, competitive, let it go type of guy and loved tournament golf. You've got to love tournament golf. My son just didn't like practicing. He was doomed.

 

Do you have it?

post #79 of 98
Thread Starter 
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Look, you apparently have talent, but it takes consistency and a certain mentality.

I have a 22 yr old son. When he was 12, he began taking golf more seriously. By the time he was 18, he didn't do half of what I asked him to do, lift weights, practice, play more, and he shot low 70's as a hs senior. The problem was weather - if the weather sucked or wind blew, which resulted in long 6 hr rounds, he caved. Those 70's blew up to 80. He lost his focus. Body language was terrible.

And then when he started lifting weights at 19, he stopped playing ...  He says it's easy to hit the ball when you're strong. Yeah, I was telling him that for years. When he does play, he shoots 74-82 without practice. Scoring is not a problem for most good players, It's wanting it, consistency, and mental focus.

Point is - Listen to your Dad!  f3_laugh.gif  No, really, as I said, if you work hard enough, young, and have talent, you can shoot low scores. Can you shoot low scores consistently and in crap conditions? Do you have tournament mentality?

Do you have what it takes? My son was a bit of a gambler, competitive, let it go type of guy and loved tournament golf. You've got to love tournament golf. My son just didn't like practicing. He was doomed.

Do you have it?
I too love tournament golf and seem to perform better under the pump.. I have now got a physio and trainer... Along with my coach .. As I said posting in this forum was not the best idea, I see that now but helpful comments like this are appreciated..
post #80 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbond23 View Post

I
I too love tournament golf and seem to perform better under the pump.. I have now got a physio and trainer... Along with my coach .. As I said posting in this forum was not the best idea, I see that now but helpful comments like this are appreciated..

And I should add, you need attitude.

 

My son was, and still is, a cocky SOB at times.

 

There is a reason Phil's nickname was FIGJAM (F, I'm Good, Just Ask Me) and that Bubba Watson is known as cocky and arrogant in the locker room.

 

You've got to have body language that says, "I am the best" and a quick smile.

post #81 of 98

Fast improvement is possible for young and/or new golfers that work hard and have talent.  A friend's now 14+ y.o. son got serious about his golf about year and a half ago...when I played 4 rounds with him last summer, it was no guarantee he would break 90 and he had never legitimately broken 80 (despite that fact that he could go some nice stretches where he was piping his driver).  His first legit sub 80 round at his home course was this summer: 5 birdies on the front en route to 32-40 even par 72 IN A TOURNAMENT.  He followed this up with 74-73-74 at Los Serranos (73+ rating) in another tourny, then fired 69 (-1) to win a one day tourny.  His index is under 2 currently.

 

 

Good luck to you...I didn't read every post- what happened in 2012...I see scores from 2011 and 2013 below, but nothing from 2012??

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjbond23 View Post

[IMG]
post #82 of 98
Cool thread. Good to know my instincts were correct.

Shorty, please apologize and PLEASE keep posting.
post #83 of 98
Yeah, Shorty, we luv ya', man...a2_wink.gif
post #84 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Cool thread. Good to know my instincts were correct.

Shorty, please apologize and PLEASE keep posting.

What exactly at the moment should he apologize for? The numbers don't show a 22 to a 0 in a year as far as I can tell.
post #85 of 98

Bye shorty

 

Best of luck OP looking great

post #86 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

What exactly at the moment should he apologize for? The numbers don't show a 22 to a 0 in a year as far as I can tell.

True, but he did go from a double digit. When you are a 22+ hc accounting of strokes is not as precise, so he could very well have been a 22 +/- some number.
post #87 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore Left View Post

I'm not seeing the part where you were ever actually a 24 handicapper.....   a bad round here or there perhaps, but you seem like you've always been a pretty good golfer from what I'm seeing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post


What exactly at the moment should he apologize for? The numbers don't show a 22 to a 0 in a year as far as I can tell.

 

Looks like the beginning of those North American scores reflect a low teens handicapper, or maybe even less.  IIRC, his claim was that in his home country he first posted a 22.4.  I don't doubt this is possible.  All it requires is that his first 5 (?) to 10 scores were in the 90s.  Isn't that possible?  He could have gone from a 22.4 to a 12 by the next revision.  Easily.  Did that happen?  Was it within 12 months going from 22.4 to <2?  I don't know.  But at this point all I care about is that the guy isn't full of sh**, which he never appeared to be.  Can we give him some credit for talking about going pro, working towards it, possibly showing scores indicating scratch potential, and actually sticking around to follow-up on his progress?  

 

It may be a low bar, but that's a pretty rare thing to find on the internet.

post #88 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

 

Looks like the beginning of those North American scores reflect a low teens handicapper, or maybe even less.  IIRC, his claim was that in his home country he first posted a 22.4.  I don't doubt this is possible.  All it requires is that his first 5 (?) to 10 scores were in the 90s.  Isn't that possible?  He could have gone from a 22.4 to a 12 by the next revision.  Easily.  Did that happen?  Was it within 12 months going from 22.4 to <2?  I don't know.  But at this point all I care about is that the guy isn't full of sh**, which he never appeared to be.  Can we give him some credit for talking about going pro, working towards it, possibly showing scores indicating scratch potential, and actually sticking around to follow-up on his progress?  

 

It may be a low bar, but that's a pretty rare thing to find on the internet.

Absolutely, that is phenomenal and I admire the OP's ability and work ethic.   The only thing I will say is that when the OP made the first post he said he was a .9, it looks to me like he was more like a 2 or a 3.  Amazing none the less.  

post #89 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Bye shorty

Best of luck OP looking great

This is a DIY handicap record where he often plays 45 holes a day on a 9 hole course over and over.
Australian golflink 22 to 1 in 12 months is what he's promised.
Scores only submitted in competition with a marker.
I'm not saying he isn't a good player. It's the 12 month thing I want to see.
post #90 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Looks like the beginning of those North American scores reflect a low teens handicapper, or maybe even less.  IIRC, his claim was that in his home country he first posted a 22.4.  I don't doubt this is possible.  All it requires is that his first 5 (?) to 10 scores were in the 90s.  Isn't that possible?  He could have gone from a 22.4 to a 12 by the next revision.  Easily.  Did that happen?  Was it within 12 months going from 22.4 to <2?  I don't know.  But at this point all I care about is that the guy isn't full of sh**, which he never appeared to be.  Can we give him some credit for talking about going pro, working towards it, possibly showing scores indicating scratch potential, and actually sticking around to follow-up on his progress?  

 

It may be a low bar, but that's a pretty rare thing to find on the internet.

If you were to just take the oldest 20 scores off that first picture then keep going until you get to a revision date - 7/1/13 - his handicap would be 6.0 (give or take a tenth, I just averaged the 2 nines in there, not sure if thats right or not).

 

However, that was from June 2011, and a year prior to the OP would be November of 2010.

 

It's certainly plausible, especially when you consider (like you already mentioned) that his first handicap could have been with only a handful of scores, and it looks like he was basically playing every day.

 

And I'm with you ... I think he deserves the credit for coming back and sharing the progress. :)

 

EDIT:  OTOH, Shorty is not wrong about the difference in handicap calculations from Australia to US.  No doubt that X handicap in Australia (where X is earned solely from attested tournament scores) is a lot more "legit" than X handicap from US, which include all scores and don't require attesting.

 

Bottom line to me:  OP is a fantastic player and has made phenomenal progress (that 99.9999% of us on here would envy), but it doesn't look like he went from 22.4 American handicap to 0 tournament handicap in one year ... so Shorty can stay!!! ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Can I Make the tour??