or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Ernest Jones)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Ernest Jones) - Page 54

post #955 of 1006
Good stuff....lol..
post #956 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Funny. I friggin' knew one of you AssHats® would do that, but my money was on @Golfingdad. That's ok, I have a backup notebook were I keep my swing thoughts and my list of mortal enemies.:-X

 

Well, *** you too you *** *** ***. :D

post #957 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Funny. I friggin' knew one of you AssHats® would do that, but my money was on @Golfingdad. That's ok, I have a backup notebook were I keep my swing thoughts and my list of mortal enemies.:-X

And had I seen this before Erik you probably would have been right, you ****** ******!!!

 

Mortal enemies?!?!  Ha, whatever.  You know you love us!!!!!!;-)

post #958 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

And had I seen this before Erik you probably would have been right, you ****** ******!!!

Mortal enemies?!?!  Ha, whatever.  You know you love us!!!!!!a2_wink.gif
a1_smile.gif
post #959 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Another God Damn 48. Just can't eliminate the blow up holes. Started with a snowman and two bogies so I'm 6 ****ing strokes in the hole before the 4th tee. Hit a a tee shot from heaven on the 9th though, my 6 hdc partner was very impressed.

Missed a bunch of short putts too, burned the edges. c4_mad.gif
Edited by Ernest Jones - 8/8/14 at 5:23pm
post #960 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Was cruising my way to bogey golf for my 9 this morning. Standing on the 9th at +8 which is a good score for me. Hooked the crap out of my 3w and took a bad bounce off some hard pan and DEEP into the woods. Pushed my provisional into the other woods d2_doh.gif

Ended up finding my first ball lodged between some roots. Declared it unplayable and was able to find a drop spot that at least let me wedge it back out to the fairway. First cut 95 yards out. Hit my 60* pin high but yanked it left into the fringe, lots of green to work with. Chipped it wth my 9iron but didn't get as much carry as I had planned and took too much of the break leaving a long putt for bogey. Putted it to 6" and tapped in for a double. Finished +11 for 9.

All in all good round. Ball striking was so-so, couple thins and enough hooks to keep it interesting.
post #961 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Was cruising my way to bogey golf for my 9 this morning. Standing on the 9th at +8 which is a good score for me. Hooked the crap out of my 3w and took a bad bounce off some hard pan and DEEP into the woods. Pushed my provisional into the other woods d2_doh.gif

Ended up finding my first ball lodged between some roots. Declared it unplayable and was able to find a drop spot that at least let me wedge it back out to the fairway. First cut 95 yards out. Hit my 60* pin high but yanked it left into the fringe, lots of green to work with. Chipped it wth my 9iron but didn't get as much carry as I had planned and took too much of the break leaving a long putt for bogey. Putted it to 6" and tapped in for a double. Finished +11 for 9.

All in all good round. Ball striking was so-so, couple thins and enough hooks to keep it interesting.

Just to add to this it was pissing rain. I love golfing in the rain. No slow pokes to get stuck behind.

 

I've also converted 100% to spot putting, no more alignment line! :dance: My routine is way faster and, because I can stay focused on my actual line instead of my alignment line, I'm finding myself much more focused when putting. Made a ton of long putts today, which came in real handy on the holes where I hooked my approach shots.

post #962 of 1006
Quote:
 

Just to add to this it was pissing rain. I love golfing in the rain. No slow pokes to get stuck behind.

 

 

 

Agreed.  I don't really like rain, but poor weather does not bother me.  I really like spring golf.  It is typically in the 50's here, and not many people to slow me down.

post #963 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Was cruising my way to bogey golf for my 9 this morning. Standing on the 9th at +8 which is a good score for me. Hooked the crap out of my 3w and took a bad bounce off some hard pan and DEEP into the woods. Pushed my provisional into the other woods d2_doh.gif

Ended up finding my first ball lodged between some roots. Declared it unplayable and was able to find a drop spot that at least let me wedge it back out to the fairway. First cut 95 yards out. Hit my 60* pin high but yanked it left into the fringe, lots of green to work with. Chipped it wth my 9iron but didn't get as much carry as I had planned and took too much of the break leaving a long putt for bogey. Putted it to 6" and tapped in for a double. Finished +11 for 9.

All in all good round. Ball striking was so-so, couple thins and enough hooks to keep it interesting.

Just to add to this it was pissing rain. I love golfing in the rain. No slow pokes to get stuck behind.

 

I've also converted 100% to spot putting, no more alignment line! :dance: My routine is way faster and, because I can stay focused on my actual line instead of my alignment line, I'm finding myself much more focused when putting. Made a ton of long putts today, which came in real handy on the holes where I hooked my approach shots.

Nice.  I don't mind rain either.

post #964 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Was cruising my way to bogey golf for my 9 this morning. Standing on the 9th at +8 which is a good score for me. Hooked the crap out of my 3w and took a bad bounce off some hard pan and DEEP into the woods. Pushed my provisional into the other woods d2_doh.gif

Ended up finding my first ball lodged between some roots. Declared it unplayable and was able to find a drop spot that at least let me wedge it back out to the fairway. First cut 95 yards out. Hit my 60* pin high but yanked it left into the fringe, lots of green to work with. Chipped it wth my 9iron but didn't get as much carry as I had planned and took too much of the break leaving a long putt for bogey. Putted it to 6" and tapped in for a double. Finished +11 for 9.

All in all good round. Ball striking was so-so, couple thins and enough hooks to keep it interesting.

Just reread this and realized I tapped in for triple not double. +8 on the 9th tee, tripled for +11 total. Think I'll play another 9 tomorrow in the rain too!

post #965 of 1006
Thread Starter 

Update.

 

I've been pretty lazy as far as practicing and camera work but on course things are going well. All curvature is draw biased nowadays, although I do occasionally hit a push or pull with no discernible curvature. Big miss is a hook and sometimes a pull hook which can be disastrous. Sometimes I'll hit a push draw that overdraws but that's rarely overly penal. Zero Evolvr work of late, my last analysis Brian basically wanted me to just keep ingraining what I've done up till this point as he felt adding anything new would just set-me back with my current priorities. I'm still signed up so I think I'll probably submit something soon.

 

I moved to a stronger grip lately which may explain the pulls and hooks but I feel like the stronger grip really helps my take-away stay on the plane that Brian wants me on. Distance and contact has been excellent, which is ironically a problem when I hit it offline, lol, I rather not pull a 4h 200+ yards into the woods. Although sometimes that works out because I'll clear the woods entirely and advance it from the other fairway! Ha Ha.

 

My other issue (it's always been a bit of an issue for me) is my weight shift can get a little spotty at times causing occasional fats and thins. The thins are usually OK, just a little clanky feeling. That fats generally cause an overly high ball flight and a 50% distance loss which, obviously sucks, but at least it stays online-ish. This are relatively rare occurrences though, definitely want to get them out of my bag but they're nowhere near as much of a scoring issue as the hooks and pull hooks. Those are the suckers that can vanish in the woods or lakes and really kill my score. 

 

Basically my game right now lives and dies by the penalties. If I keep the ball in bounds and dry for the round I'm playing pretty solid bogey golf, if I lose a few it can turn ugly really fast.

 

Putting is a real joy these days, distance control is outstanding and the putts I miss, even on a misread, are virtually all left at tap-in range. If I can get those GIR up a tad I can do some real damage.

post #966 of 1006
Thread Starter 

Another round with missed opportunities. Was +7 after 5 holes but feeling pretty damn good because two of those dropped strokes were total brain farts that had nothing to do with skill, so the 7 over felt like 5 over and I was looking to finish strong and get a sub-bogey golf round in. 

 

Brain fart number one: had a long putt of 26 paces, about 58'-60', that I lagged to 6" :beer: The 2 groundskeepers who stopped working to watch me hit the 60 footer were very impressed. Got nonchalant and caught the edge, lipped the ****ing thing 180* and needed up left with almost the exact same putt. Turned guaranteed (and spectacular) par into Bogey.:doh:

 

Brain fart number two: 3rd shot leaves ball pin high in medium rough on a par 5. Chipped it to 8' and just missed the par putt to the low side, good line just not firm enough. So what do I do? About a foot and half to go for my Bogey, ***** out AGAIN and, although it looks like it's going in anyway, it catches a spike mark on the last revolution and wobbles off line to stop on the left edge.:doh:

 

 

So you can see why I'm not overly concerned about those two strokes, totally anomalies and more mental than anything else. 

 

Next hole (5th) I push my approach but make a solid bogey anyway, so there I am sitting at 7 over after 5 holes.

 

Next hole is a short little 100yard par 3, stuff my 60* tight and tap in for birdie, back to bogey golf and feeling strong.

 

Next hole (par 4) I hook my tee shot a bit but still in the fairway, just a little short. Hook my approach high and wide over the trees, but I know it opens up and have parred many times from there. Never find it, walk back and rehit from the fairway. Crappy little, low hooking, shit shot that heads for the woods and is a guaranteed goner. BREATH DEEPLY. Drop another one and hit the centre of the green. Two put for a 10. POW - now I'm ****ing 12 over after 7.:cry:

 

Next hole is a Par 3 and I have no problems, GIR. Makeable putt of about 14' that I hit WAY to tentatively (again) and leave it 5' short, probably should have one-handed it.;-) Make the 5 footer, centre cup for Par.

 

Head to the last tee as a very unhappy camper but shake it off, it's a game and I love playing it. Opt to go with a hybrid and play it safe. Fail to get my Batman Signal to the sky and duff a low one out about 60yards. BREATH DEEPLY. Hammer it out of the light rough, but hooking it once again, stays in the fairway just barely. Ball is basically right around my usual tee-shot landing spot for this hole, 45y or so from the centre of the green. I walk to my ball thinking, "Ok then, let's par this the hard way." Pull my 60* (thinking about my buddy @David in FL :-P) and make my trademark 1/2 swing sit'n'stick shot. Beautiful impact, never left the flag, dart to 3'. Make the putt to finish on a high of back to back pars. 

 

Could have easily been a career round for me but the mistakes just kept piling up.

 

44 total on a par 32 course. Could have been so much better. Oh well, might play again tonight and definitely playing again tomorrow morning. :-D 

post #967 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Another round with missed opportunities. Was +7 after 5 holes but feeling pretty damn good because two of those dropped strokes were total brain farts that had nothing to do with skill, so the 7 over felt like 5 over and I was looking to finish strong and get a sub-bogey golf round in. 

 

Brain fart number one: had a long putt of 26 paces, about 58'-60', that I lagged to 6" :beer: The 2 groundskeepers who stopped working to watch me hit the 60 footer were very impressed. Got nonchalant and caught the edge, lipped the ****ing thing 180* and needed up left with almost the exact same putt. Turned guaranteed (and spectacular) par into Bogey.:doh:

 

Brain fart number two: 3rd shot leaves ball pin high in medium rough on a par 5. Chipped it to 8' and just missed the par putt to the low side, good line just not firm enough. So what do I do? About a foot and half to go for my Bogey, ***** out AGAIN and, although it looks like it's going in anyway, it catches a spike mark on the last revolution and wobbles off line to stop on the left edge.:doh:

 

 

So you can see why I'm not overly concerned about those two strokes, totally anomalies and more mental than anything else. 

 

Next hole (5th) I push my approach but make a solid bogey anyway, so there I am sitting at 7 over after 5 holes.

 

Next hole is a short little 100yard par 3, stuff my 60* tight and tap in for birdie, back to bogey golf and feeling strong.

 

Next hole (par 4) I hook my tee shot a bit but still in the fairway, just a little short. Hook my approach high and wide over the trees, but I know it opens up and have parred many times from there. Never find it, walk back and rehit from the fairway. Crappy little, low hooking, shit shot that heads for the woods and is a guaranteed goner. BREATH DEEPLY. Drop another one and hit the centre of the green. Two put for a 10. POW - now I'm ****ing 12 over after 7.:cry:

 

Next hole is a Par 3 and I have no problems, GIR. Makeable putt of about 14' that I hit WAY to tentatively (again) and leave it 5' short, probably should have one-handed it.;-) Make the 5 footer, centre cup for Par.

 

Head to the last tee as a very unhappy camper but shake it off, it's a game and I love playing it. Opt to go with a hybrid and play it safe. Fail to get my Batman Signal to the sky and duff a low one out about 60yards. BREATH DEEPLY. Hammer it out of the light rough, but hooking it once again, stays in the fairway just barely. Ball is basically right around my usual tee-shot landing spot for this hole, 45y or so from the centre of the green. I walk to my ball thinking, "Ok then, let's par this the hard way." Pull my 60* (thinking about my buddy @David in FL :-P) and make my trademark 1/2 swing sit'n'stick shot. Beautiful impact, never left the flag, dart to 3'. Make the putt to finish on a high of back to back pars. 

 

Could have easily been a career round for me but the mistakes just kept piling up.

 

44 total on a par 32 course. Could have been so much better. Oh well, might play again tonight and definitely playing again tomorrow morning. :-D 

Here's the Birdie on the par 3. I love hitting my 60* 

 

post #968 of 1006

Nice shot.  Nothing better than a kick-in birdie.  :dance:

post #969 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

 

 

 

You little son of a b**** ball! Why you don't you just go HOME? That's your HOME! Are you too good for your HOME?  :-P

post #970 of 1006
Thread Starter 

Soon as it gets dark, I'm hitting the course for 9 holes of night golf! Then I'm setting my alarm real early for 9 holes of morning golf!

:-D

post #971 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Soon as it gets dark, I'm hitting the course for 9 holes of night golf! Then I'm setting my alarm real early for 9 holes of morning golf!

:-D

Shot an 87 on my little par 64 executive in the dark. New, high-lumen tactical flashlight helps. :-D Tons of fun but didn't get home till 1 am so I skipped this morning's round. I'm getting old, need my beauty sleep.

post #972 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Soon as it gets dark, I'm hitting the course for 9 holes of night golf! Then I'm setting my alarm real early for 9 holes of morning golf!

:-D

Shot an 87 on my little par 64 executive in the dark. New, high-lumen tactical flashlight helps. :-D Tons of fun but didn't get home till 1 am so I skipped this morning's round. I'm getting old, need my beauty sleep.

Old?  Your just a kid!  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Ernest Jones)