or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › What exactly did John Daly do wrong?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What exactly did John Daly do wrong? - Page 2

post #19 of 40

Daly has been self destructing for years, he's his own worst enemy.  I'm shocked when anyone is surprised by his random behavior as it's fairly typical for someone who admittedly doesn't have much self control when it comes to women, drugs and alcohol.   

post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOG4 View Post

So someone tells him he's playing the wrong ball and he plays it anyway? I think not. We know who's responsibility it is. Just I would think common decency of a spotter/marshall would be to tell him. Unless ofcourse they think of Daly like you do and just wanted to help wind him up.....



Whoa there mi amigo. I think you're misunderstanding me.

 

My point was, had Daly listened, I'm sure someone would have pointed out where his ball was. I'm not implying they purposely led him astray. What likely happened is Daly went into the bunker where he saw a ball & played in his usual lightning-fast pace. I could be wrong on that, but I don't believe for a second that the gallery or marshals wanted to mislead him.

 

As far as thinking of Daly 'like I do', I love the guy. But he's become an absolute embarrassment to himself and the profession. You think I enjoy seeing him do this crap? Not for a second.

post #21 of 40

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOG4 View Post

So someone tells him he's playing the wrong ball and he plays it anyway? I think not. We know who's responsibility it is. Just I would think common decency of a spotter/marshall would be to tell him. Unless ofcourse they think of Daly like you do and just wanted to help wind him up.....


The blame belongs entirely with John. Attempting to shift the blame to anyone else is a bizarre choice. I'll leave it at that.

post #22 of 40

Sidebar-And I know its Daly's fault.  That's the letter of the law.  While caddying for a guy back many years ago in a big money match. My guy and his competitor hit drives up the middle.  the balls were 20 ft apart and one a few feet ahead.  My guy goes to the one closer to the green and stands next to it like it's his. He says to me watch this. He advises the other guy that its his play.  The guy hits and a moment later my guy says hey this ball here isn't my ball.  Hey you played my ball. Penalty and replay and my guy smiling cuz he knew exactly what he just did.

There are the rules, they are clear.  There is also the spirit of the game.  My point has been simply that if Daly knowingly hit the wrong ball...Case closed.  But if there were folks that advised him right after he hit the shot, Why didn't they inform him before? I'm no Daly fan. But I am a fan of the spirit of the game.

 

post #23 of 40

Did you hand the bag to your guy, or did you stay for the rest of the round? Your guy clearly went against the spirit of the game. Daly went against the spirit of the game when he went "Tin Cup" on the next hole. I have played the wrong ball before, and I accepted total blame for my mistake. Daly is a pro golfer that employs a pro caddie, and If two similar ballswere close together, I could understand,but mistaking a front bunker from a rear bunker is nuts.Daly would be funny if he wasn't so damn sad.

 

post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac6 View Post

 Daly is a pro golfer that employs a pro caddie, and If two similar ballswere close together, I could understand,but mistaking a front bunker from a rear bunker is nuts.Daly would be funny if he wasn't so damn sad.

 



To me, that's the caddy's job and the caddy screwed up. Does he still have a regular caddy? With no earnings, it must be tough to find someone knowledgeable. His bag is kind of heavy too. 

 

Caddyshack revisted

post #25 of 40

Not wanting to defend what Daly did hitting all his balls into the water and walking off, but these loud mouth fools did not do him any favours "hooraying" every time he dumped one in the Lake!

Not golf spectator behaviour IMO

 

post #26 of 40

Well I find it sad to see someone with such talent self destruct the way John Daly has over the last years.  Golf is a frustrating game at times and I'm sure most of us have hit a wrong ball or something equally stupid that made us want to just walk off the course, but we didn't.  I guess John just can't seem to get himself to deal with his personal issues.  Some one once said "you can't fix what you do not acknowledge" and that seems to be John's problem.  So I hope John can come to grips with his "issues" and gets his life back in order.  Until he does he shouldn't be in a professional tournament, and I'm a fan and rooting for him but don't see much to hope now.  That's sad and it is John's and golf's loss.

post #27 of 40

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post

It's quite possible his ball was partially buried with the logo in the sand. You can't pick up the ball from a hazard to verify it's yours. The again it might have a typical Daly moment. I feel bad for him. I thought he had his act together the last year or so in this regard.

Originally Posted by iacas View Post

You can't, but Rule 12 allows you to identify it:

 

See also 12-2.


As far as I can tell, you are permitted to lift the ball, even from the bunker, for purposes of identifying it as long as you comply with the rule 12-1. That means you must notify a fellow-competitor and allow him to observe the procedure, then mark and lift (or touch/rotate) and clean only enough to make the identification. When you're done, you replace it and recreate the original lie.  I don't see any restriction on the right to securely identify the ball because it's in a hazard.

 

If there is such a restriction, I'd be very interested to see it pointed out  However,  I'm fairly confident there won't be. Such a rule would clearly conflict with the penalty for playing a wrong ball.  As far as I know there's only one situation in which you have an excuse for playing a wrong ball: when your ball is moving in a water hazard.  In that case, the rules already waive the penalty since it may be impractical to identify the ball before making a (probably ill-advised) stroke on it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWu1948 View Post

To me, that's the caddy's job and the caddy screwed up.


The caddy screwed up, but more importantly, Daly blew it.  The player is ultimately responsible and IMO the caddy should be treated as an assistant.  The player needs to make the final determination that he's playing the right ball on every single stroke.  Hell, when I'm playing for fun, I still verify that I've got the right ball on every stroke, even when I'm lying in the middle of the fairway and I saw the ball the whole way.  No sympathy for a professional who can't be bothered to do his job.

 

This whole story is really pathetic.

 

post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac6 View Post

Did you hand the bag to your guy, or did you stay for the rest of the round? Your guy clearly went against the spirit of the game. Daly went against the spirit of the game when he went "Tin Cup" on the next hole. I have played the wrong ball before, and I accepted total blame for my mistake. Daly is a pro golfer that employs a pro caddie, and If two similar ballswere close together, I could understand,but mistaking a front bunker from a rear bunker is nuts.Daly would be funny if he wasn't so damn sad.

 

I was 13.[over 40 years ago] The guy was a neighbor, CEO and father to a friend. I carried the bag right to the end and was tipped well.  I never carried his bag again, infact I stopped caddying. Daly went Tin Cup because he is a Tin Cup. And people love Tin Cups......

 

post #29 of 40

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOG4 View Post

And people love Tin Cups......

 

  1. Not anymore. -or-
  2. In the same way that they rubberneck highway accidents.
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

 

  1. Not anymore. -or-
  2. In the same way that they rubberneck highway accidents.


Agreed, Love the wrong word....Mesmerized or just can't take your eyes off em.  
 

 

post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOG4 View Post

 Daly went Tin Cup because he is a Tin Cup. And people love Tin Cups......

 

Daly went "Tin Cup" because he is a buffoon who couldn't care less about his playing partners, the game itself or anyone else.

It was not a grand a noble gesture or in any way symbolic of a stubborn guy who just won't quit. In fact, it was the complete opposite.

He even pretended that he had no option but to call it a day because he "ran out of balls".

At least the Australian PGA have made it very clear that they are over him and that he is an embarrassment and stain on our game who isn't wanted back.

People used to love him, but he is a sideshow now.

He has become a stupid looking caricature of himself. And he ain't no Tin Cup....


 

 

post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

Daly went "Tin Cup" because he is a buffoon who couldn't care less about his playing partners, the game itself or anyone else.

It was not a grand a noble gesture or in any way symbolic of a stubborn guy who just won't quit. In fact, it was the complete opposite.

He even pretended that he had no option but to call it a day because he "ran out of balls".

At least the Australian PGA have made it very clear that they are over him and that he is an embarrassment and stain on our game who isn't wanted back.

People used to love him, but he is a sideshow now.

He has become a stupid looking caricature of himself. And he ain't no Tin Cup....


 

 

First you say he went Tin Cup then you say he ain't no Tin Cup......Which is it?

Never said is was grand or noble....All I said was why didn't a marshall or ballspotter assist.  And Why is a practice ball in a bunker of this national championship.

Obviously John Boy had had enough and just wanted to go home....Which is his choice. Maybe immature, maybe unprofessional but his and yea  he's done it before.

The Australian invited him for one specific reason....People come to watch. They make more money.

Daly has always been a sideshow. And like Eric said just above and I agreed "LOVE" is the wrong word.

You obviously care. That's what anyone wants...Love/Hate anything just don't be indifferent.

 

 

post #33 of 40


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash1974 View Post

Not wanting to defend what Daly did hitting all his balls into the water and walking off, but these loud mouth fools did not do him any favours "hooraying" every time he dumped one in the Lake!

Not golf spectator behaviour IMO

 



I think by the third ball the whole thing had become a joke and the crowd's reaction was not unjust. 2 years ago he was playing bad, got the shits up and walked off during the PGA in QLD, so this is a repeat offence on the Australian tour, that's why his invitations were withdrawn to any other tournaments.

A few weeks ago in Europe he was on the bad side of a rules blunder, cracked the shits and walked off.

As for playing out of the wrong bunker, I think the green is somewhat blind from the tee, and Jon or his caddy probably couldn't have seen where his ball went.

 

I love the comment "Aim left, ya dick!"

post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lofty Lefty View Post

 

I love the comment "Aim left, ya dick!"


A classic!

 

John needs to stick to selling his awful-looking golf gear outside the gates of the tournaments, as he is a complete and utter disgrace inside the grounds. I am trying to work out why he is still receiving invitations.

 

post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOG4 View Post

First you say he went Tin Cup then you say he ain't no Tin Cup......Which is it?

 

 

 

No I didn't. The first time I said he went "Tin Cup" in inverted commas to describe what he did.

I was also quoting Flog4.

The second time I removed the inverted commas to show that I was talking about the movie character, Tin Cup.

The contempt with which the crowd was treating him in the Youtube video was entirely justified.  Anyone else and there would have been respectful and awkward silence.

But then......in real life, noone else would even try it. This was tanking at its worst.
 

 

post #36 of 40

Daly has been given many chances at redemption for his idiotic behaviour....what a great role model for the junior golfers out there???????.BUT the modern society loves redneck crappy behavior and they will continue to cheer him on...disgusting...let him self destruct...he is a complete JERK

 

I normally don't totally dislike a person but enough is ENOUGH!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › What exactly did John Daly do wrong?