or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › How to hit Sand/Bunker Shots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to hit Sand/Bunker Shots - Page 5

post #73 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

Having trouble seeing how it compares. I seldom skull pitches. I don't look an inch or two behind the ball when pitching. I make contact with the ball first when I pitch, kind of a nice pop off the club face..I certainly shouldn't be hitting the ball first on a bunker shot right?

 

I was going to bring this up earlier but didn't want to confuse anyone. Then I saw this and had to record it. Notice how the club starts coming into contact with the ground before the ball, like on a bunker shot, reason why bounce is your friend on pitches/bunker play. 

 

post #74 of 112

Good stuff, @mvmac ^^^ 


 

Re: greenside bunkers and a good feel to use:

 

As Gary Player would say, "light the match at the bottom." And as you "light the match" the lead wrist cups (dorsiflexes) just after impact and deep into the followthrough. Hands stay lower, clubhead gets high, relative to each other.

 

When you light a match, you need speed to do it. Through the strike, you're "lighting the match" with the club head, using a "flippy motion" to do so. 

post #75 of 112

I watched the 18th hole sand shot of Kooch's from recent tourney and i would say that as he finished he was falling away from the target, and onto his back foot.  My experience is that such action is like a flop shot and gives maximum ball elevation. Would anyone say that this falling back is a good idea, generally? 

post #76 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
 

I watched the 18th hole sand shot of Kooch's from recent tourney and i would say that as he finished he was falling away from the target, and onto his back foot.  My experience is that such action is like a flop shot and gives maximum ball elevation. Would anyone say that this falling back is a good idea, generally? 

 

I don't think he was following back through the shot. Falling back wouldn't be the way to hit it the highest. You would open the face, lower the handle and make a pretty full backswing with the weight forward at impact. I think the "fall back" you saw was just him trying to get a better look at where the ball was going.

 

Kuchar said he was trying to hit a "chunk and run", so hitting it a little further behind the ball to help take some spin off.

 

post #77 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Technique is very similar, shaft is vertical at impact, knuckles of the right hand facing the ground, gotta use the bounce on both shots. 

 

 

 

Yep

 

post #78 of 112

Mike could you explain the technique for hitting out of a fairway bunker?  I am having a lot of success with the bunker shot you put on this thread but I struggle with the fairway bunker shot.  I was in 2 yesterday and only advanced the ball a little ways. I seem to hit the sand first so its almost like Im hitting it fat.

post #79 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post
 

Mike could you explain the technique for hitting out of a fairway bunker?  I am having a lot of success with the bunker shot you put on this thread but I struggle with the fairway bunker shot.  I was in 2 yesterday and only advanced the ball a little ways. I seem to hit the sand first so its almost like Im hitting it fat.

 

 

Too many people swing too down on the ball in a bunker. I like shallow angle of attacks. So I will play the ball slightly further back in the stance. I'll choke down a bit on the club, then I just swing normally. 

post #80 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

Too many people swing too down on the ball in a bunker. I like shallow angle of attacks. So I will play the ball slightly further back in the stance. I'll choke down a bit on the club, then I just swing normally. 

So do you club up at all?

post #81 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post
 

So do you club up at all?

 

Not really. I plan on hitting the ball first, so I should get a normal shot. It might go slightly shorter, so it depends on the shot distance. 

post #82 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post
 

Mike could you explain the technique for hitting out of a fairway bunker?  I am having a lot of success with the bunker shot you put on this thread but I struggle with the fairway bunker shot.  I was in 2 yesterday and only advanced the ball a little ways. I seem to hit the sand first so its almost like Im hitting it fat.

 

For a fairway bunker shot I just try to make a normal full swing, hit the ball first , all that stuff. I choke down a bit, dig my feet in, hover the club just above the sand and play the ball slightly forward.

post #83 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

For a fairway bunker shot I just try to make a normal full swing, hit the ball first , all that stuff. I choke down a bit, dig my feet in, hover the club just above the sand and play the ball slightly forward.
Dude knows what he's talking about too! I think he had 4 or 5 green side bunker shots today and 3 or 4 of them ended in a tap in U/D.
post #84 of 112
I completely agree. When I played on Saturday I made a really nice up and down from a green side bunker. I also had 2 other really good outs I just didn't make the putt. I will work on the fairway bunker shot. I've been in a bunch of them in my 4 rounds this year and I think I've only played one good shot. Thanks again.
post #85 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

For a fairway bunker shot I just try to make a normal full swing, hit the ball first , all that stuff. I choke down a bit, dig my feet in, hover the club just above the sand and play the ball slightly forward.

Do you club up because you are choking down?

post #86 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

For a fairway bunker shot I just try to make a normal full swing, hit the ball first , all that stuff. I choke down a bit, dig my feet in, hover the club just above the sand and play the ball slightly forward.

Thanks for the tips, MVMAC. When you say to play the ball slightly forward, I assume you mean slightly forward of your normal ball placement? This surprises me a bit. I've seen/read many "tips" that recommend to play the ball slightly back from your normal ball position. With the ball slightly back, they say, you give yourself a better chance of clean contact.

Also, do you promote a quieter lower body? If so, wouldn't this make it more difficult to get your weight even more forward than usual to hit a ball that's more forward in your stance?

I'm intrigued by your set up. While I'm halfway decent with these shots, my ball flight is usually on the low side. I'm wondering if I should practice the shot the way you describe...
post #87 of 112
Criminey Mvmac, you make it look so simple...which I assume for you it is. I honestly feel I'm applying the same method with diabolically different outcomes!
When I hit the bottom of the club in the sand .....seems like every time I slide the club right through the sand and blade the ball right over the green.

I was able to get some time in the practice bunker today. I was doing some nice pitch shots then going straight to the bunker trying to duplicate that feel. I hit a few short bunker shots where I didn't feel any ball contact and a decent little spray of sand came up.

I think it must be a "feel" issue with me. I hit about 50 nice pitches to the practice green....but once in the bunker...just horrible. I seldom thud it in the bunker. It's usually a wizzzz....bannnggg....and ball worm burns out the bunker and over the green.

I'm going to Golf Made Simple school in June for 3 days. Bunker play will be focus. Last week...3 over after 15 holes...bunker on 16....DB. Bunker on 18...DB bunkers cost me 4 strokes....ridiculous.
post #88 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

Do you club up because you are choking down?

 

I tend to add about a half club to the yardage. I think because you're swinging in sand, which isn't as stable, it's tough to create the same speed as hitting off grass. Also contact, even on a good swing, can be a little more variable out of the sand.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post


Thanks for the tips, MVMAC. When you say to play the ball slightly forward, I assume you mean slightly forward of your normal ball placement? This surprises me a bit. I've seen/read many "tips" that recommend to play the ball slightly back from your normal ball position. With the ball slightly back, they say, you give yourself a better chance of clean contact..

 

Yes slightly forward of you normal ball position, helps keep the AoA shallow and helps you hit it higher. First rule out of any bunker is to get it out. If the ball is back there is a better chance the ball will launch lower.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post


Also, do you promote a quieter lower body? If so, wouldn't this make it more difficult to get your weight even more forward than usual to hit a ball that's more forward in your stance?
 

 

I think being in the sand basically does that for you. I don't think it's a good idea to try and change anything with your swing during the round. I also don't think a "quiet" lower body helps with contact, so basically no ;-)

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

Criminey Mvmac, you make it look so simple...which I assume for you it is. I honestly feel I'm applying the same method with diabolically different outcomes!
When I hit the bottom of the club in the sand .....seems like every time I slide the club right through the sand and blade the ball right over the green.
 

 

Try to post a video in your swing thread (if you have one) of you hitting some bunker shots. Are you falling back on these shots?

post #89 of 112
Yes, I need to show you a video. I don't fall back. Widened stance, weight forward, slight open stance ...maybe 10* open face ....really tried to make sure I was wrist hinging on backswing and trying to flip under the ball.

I'll try and get a video of my bunker shot...as well as my regular swing...I'd love your input!
post #90 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

Yes, I need to show you a video. I don't fall back. Widened stance, weight forward, slight open stance ...maybe 10* open face ....really tried to make sure I was wrist hinging on backswing and trying to flip under the ball.

I'll try and get a video of my bunker shot...as well as my regular swing...I'd love your input!

 

Yeah post a video and send me a PM to remind me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › How to hit Sand/Bunker Shots