or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Do you use a rangefinder?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you use a rangefinder? - Page 5

Poll Results: Do you use a rangefinder?

 
  • 68% (33)
    Yes
  • 31% (15)
    No
48 Total Votes  
post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Yeah ... 'cept that isn't exclusive to short knockers. ;)  I like having a laser, but I see the virtues of both.  When I play with my brother (who has a skycaddie) or on courses with GPS in the cart, I am consulting them often - for exactly the reason you describe.

 

Neither is better or worse, they are both very useful in slightly different ways.

 

 

You can easily shoot the ground in front of the bunker. If there is a tree near the front side, just shoo that. You don't want to come with in 5 yards of a bunker, so be conservative as well. If you know the bunker is like 15 yards long, then just shoot the backside and then subtract 20 yards. 

post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Yeah ... 'cept that isn't exclusive to short knockers. ;)  I like having a laser, but I see the virtues of both.  When I play with my brother (who has a skycaddie) or on courses with GPS in the cart, I am consulting them often - for exactly the reason you describe.

 

Neither is better or worse, they are both very useful in slightly different ways.

 

 

You can easily shoot the ground in front of the bunker. If there is a tree near the front side, just shoo that. You don't want to come with in 5 yards of a bunker, so be conservative as well. If you know the bunker is like 15 yards long, then just shoot the backside and then subtract 20 yards. 

 

Yeah - I've done that and found out too late that the laser picked up the far lip, or caught a  small mound 20 yards short of it.  When you're dealing with a water hazard from the tee 200+ yards away, I want to be more certain than that.  When shooting a piece of flat ground from any significant distance, it's a crap shoot.  

 

And before you say anything, I had a laser before I ever bought a GPS.  I carried a Bushnell Tour V2 along with my GPS for a couple of years, and found that the full featured GPS gave me everything that the laser did, and was actually a more useful tool than the laser.  Also easier, faster and I'm more certain that I'm get the distance to the object I want.  

 

The only time a laser was a better choice for me was the one time I played a course that wasn't in the GPS database.  That was several years ago and a few thousand courses have been added since, so it's unlikely to be an issue now.  If by chance it does come up, then I go old school, the same way I did it for my first 30 years playing.  

 

My GPS is a handy tool which helps me manage my play and saves me strokes, but it's not a necessity.

 

Screenshot of a typical hole on a Garmin Approach G5.  You can touch the screen to zoom in and place a target anywhere you want.  I've found that the trees are placed quite accurately for use in planning a shot.

 

post #75 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post

If you are a 20 handicap, I can understand that it doesn't make much of a difference.

 

Actually I think they make a huge difference. See its a feedback thing for learning... measure the 117 yard shot to a front sloped green, hit PW and watch it stick at 120. Or hit Gw and see it stick at 110 and learn how far you can fly the club. Pretty quick its teaching how far a pw draw can go or a pw cut shot is short. Suddenly there are 3 fairly accurate shots for each club in the bag because of starting with some basic but accurate distances. Also, the gaps become glareing and specific, like the 213 yard par three that you just dont have the right club for, but thought you did. And absolutely dont forget this site, where you begin to realize the guys talking driver distances dont always have an accurate tool and, are, to be polite, using estimated distances from the score cards or sprinkler heads.
post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyputt View Post


Actually I think they make a huge difference. See its a feedback thing for learning... measure the 117 yard shot to a front sloped green, hit PW and watch it stick at 120. Or hit Gw and see it stick at 110 and learn how far you can fly the club. Pretty quick its teaching how far a pw draw can go or a pw cut shot is short. Suddenly there are 3 fairly accurate shots for each club in the bag because of starting with some basic but accurate distances. Also, the gaps become glareing and specific, like the 213 yard par three that you just dont have the right club for, but thought you did. And absolutely dont forget this site, where you begin to realize the guys talking driver distances dont always have an accurate tool and, are, to be polite, using estimated distances from the score cards or sprinkler heads.


Pretty sure @Zeph had tongue in cheek there because of the irony of a 20 handicap calling everybody else stupid for wanting to know the correct distances.

post #77 of 79
I would like to eventually but Im in no way good enough just yet. Just gimme the Front/Middle/Back and bunkers and Im good for now. My Iphone App does that.
post #78 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post

I would like to eventually but Im in no way good enough just yet. Just gimme the Front/Middle/Back and bunkers and Im good for now. My Iphone App does that.


I figure the more information I have the better my decisions will be. That of course doesn't guarantee that I'm actually going to be able to hit the shot but at least it wouldn't be from a bad decision based on lack of knowledge.

 

I would love to have a GPS like @Fourputt has but haven't justified the expense in my mind because I'm just not playing often enough at courses where I would need it, and I'm not even sure if those features are available on the course I play.

 

Most of my playing partners have range finders and I have a basic GPS and either of those are fine on a course we know like the back of our hand.

post #79 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

 


Pretty sure @Zeph had tongue in cheek there because of the irony of a 20 handicap calling everybody else stupid for wanting to know the correct distances.


Yeah. More an attempt to halt the discussion I guess. I got my own rangefinder during my 20's-ish handicap and I've loved it ever since. Definitely useful if you want to improve on distance control and general scoring.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Do you use a rangefinder?