or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › OWGR Biased Against PGA Tour Players
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OWGR Biased Against PGA Tour Players - Page 2

post #19 of 33

Good article here http://theaposition.com/Articles/21/1632/1/An-Academic-Take-on-Whats-Wrong-With-the-World-Ranking

post #20 of 33

Very difficult to compare the two tours....they are divided by many factors icluding quality and type of courses....Typical American courses feature perfectly manicured greens that run 12 stimp or more....euro tour features more roughly hewn greens and landscapes with slower stimps....American golf tends to reward the "bomb and gouge" method...of big ballstriking off the tee and ginormous arcing wedge shots falling from the heavens upon picture perfect greens.....while Euro golf invites more bump and run style play.....there is also a large class division between tours as many PGA guys come from white-bread gated country club backgrounds and are sons of golf royalty (the Haas family comes to mind) while Euro Tour players more commonly come from humbler more hardscrabble backgrounds , often sans college,  and learn the game on municipal "workingmans" courses...See McIlroy, , Poulter, et. al......consequently there's also a considerable political/cultural divide between the tours as well as PGA has a large Christian / Republican constituency while the Euros tend to be more liberal politically -having experienced the benefits of government programs like Universal Healthcare firsthand and not" forgetting where they came from"....they are also more likely to believe that religion is a personal matter and I hear are gobsmacked at the American players endless prayer meetings, fish symbols on bags and "WWJD? wristbands.....cant say that I blame them.

 

Not to mention the long and shameful PGA history of racism, classism and sexism.....only opening their doors to blacks as recently as 1961! The typical PGA Tour player is a whitebread kid from a gated community in the suburbs who learned golf on a private course with instructors and "attended" one of the south's diploma mills for athletes such as pick anyone from the SEC et. al....usually majoring in PE or Business etc.

 

The PGA Tour is by far the more corporatist controlled (not to say the Euro Tour isnt-with its snuggling up to oil barrons in Dubai and the like!) and thus tends to offer larger purse money from week to week....but one can hardly help but laugh when some of these spoiled PGA players claim that they "earn their money based on merit".....yeah except that in the modern PGA world a guy who never, ever wins or even comes close can "earn" a million bucks or more per year!

 

Good News: The game is shifting internationally and there will be increasing pressure to include more non-American "majors". BTW the British Open provides a wonderful paradigm of precisely what I speak of here....it is usually played on a less perfectly manicured course -often links style course where the premium is on that bump and run through harsh weather....imo THE definitive test in golf....as opposed to the good old white boys club in Augusta.....

post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Very difficult to compare the two tours....they are divided by many factors icluding quality and type of courses....Typical American courses feature perfectly manicured greens that run 12 stimp or more....euro tour features more roughly hewn greens and landscapes with slower stimps....American golf tends to reward the "bomb and gouge" method...of big ballstriking off the tee and ginormous arcing wedge shots falling from the heavens upon picture perfect greens.....while Euro golf invites more bump and run style play.....there is also a large class division between tours as many PGA guys come from white-bread gated country club backgrounds and are sons of golf royalty (the Haas family comes to mind) while Euro Tour players more commonly come from humbler more hardscrabble backgrounds , often sans college,  and learn the game on municipal "workingmans" courses...See McIlroy, , Poulter, et. al......consequently there's also a considerable political/cultural divide between the tours as well as PGA has a large Christian / Republican constituency while the Euros tend to be more liberal politically -having experienced the benefits of government programs like Universal Healthcare firsthand and not" forgetting where they came from"....they are also more likely to believe that religion is a personal matter and I hear are gobsmacked at the American players endless prayer meetings, fish symbols on bags and "WWJD? wristbands.....cant say that I blame them.

Not to mention the long and shameful PGA history of racism, classism and sexism.....only opening their doors to blacks as recently as 1961! The typical PGA Tour player is a whitebread kid from a gated community in the suburbs who learned golf on a private course with instructors and "attended" one of the south's diploma mills for athletes such as pick anyone from the SEC et. al....usually majoring in PE or Business etc.

The PGA Tour is by far the more corporatist controlled (not to say the Euro Tour isnt-with its snuggling up to oil barrons in Dubai and the like!) and thus tends to offer larger purse money from week to week....but one can hardly help but laugh when some of these spoiled PGA players claim that they "earn their money based on merit".....yeah except that in the modern PGA world a guy who never, ever wins or even comes close can "earn" a million bucks or more per year!

Good News: The game is shifting internationally and there will be increasing pressure to include more non-American "majors". BTW the British Open provides a wonderful paradigm of precisely what I speak of here....it is usually played on a less perfectly manicured course -often links style course where the premium is on that bump and run through harsh weather....imo THE definitive test in golf....as opposed to the good old white boys club in Augusta.....

Gee thanks for resurrecting a year old thread so you can babble on with more of your liberal horse$hlt. Your posts give me gas.
post #22 of 33

He must be bored up in his ivory tower.

post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post

He must be bored up in his ivory tower.

Wow! I guess so. Just looking for a fight.
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post


Gee thanks for resurrecting a year old thread so you can babble on with more of your liberal horse$hlt. Your posts give me gas.

Well at least the gas provides something with which to fill the empty space between thine ears.

post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post

He must be bored up in his ivory tower.

Or perhaps I'm just doing my job....you know...thinking critically about society, culture, etc...a forbidden practice in most conservative quarters these days. If my commentary contains too many multi-syllabic words I'd be happy to help you with it, Sparky.

post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post


Wow! I guess so. Just looking for a fight.

Or maybe I'm just making some thoughtful  and considered observations about an aspect of our culture -'Tis part of my job description.   I noticed that thus far none of the geniuses who've replied have had anything constructive to say about the content of my commentary......far too engaged in the anti-intellectual practice of attacking the messenger.

post #27 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Well at least the gas provides something with which to fill the empty space between thine ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Or perhaps I'm just doing my job....you know...thinking critically about society, culture, etc...a forbidden practice in most conservative quarters these days. If my commentary contains too many multi-syllabic words I'd be happy to help you with it, Sparky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Or maybe I'm just making some thoughtful  and considered observations about an aspect of our culture -'Tis part of my job description.   I noticed that thus far none of the geniuses who've replied have had anything constructive to say about the content of my commentary......far too engaged in the anti-intellectual practice of attacking the messenger.

 

Please use multi-quote, as I've asked you in the past. I'm against spreading stupidity over three posts when one will do.

post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Or maybe I'm just making some thoughtful  and considered observations about an aspect of our culture -'Tis part of my job description.   I noticed that thus far none of the geniuses who've replied have had anything constructive to say about the content of my commentary......far too engaged in the anti-intellectual practice of attacking the messenger.


Gee, I would try to comment but I don't know many multi-syllabic words. And if I want to hear your diatribes, I can always turn on MSNBC. (Now, you can make a clever condescending comment about Fox News and feel much better).

post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post

He must be bored up in his ivory tower.

Or perhaps I'm just doing my job....you know...thinking critically about society, culture, etc...a forbidden practice in most conservative quarters these days. If my commentary contains too many multi-syllabic words I'd be happy to help you with it, Sparky.

 

Who was it appointed you to this position?  And on a golf forum to boot?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post


Wow! I guess so. Just looking for a fight.

Or maybe I'm just making some thoughtful  and considered observations about an aspect of our culture -'Tis part of my job description.   I noticed that thus far none of the geniuses who've replied have had anything constructive to say about the content of my commentary......far too engaged in the anti-intellectual practice of attacking the messenger.

 

Again, if your mission is to save the world, why not join the Peace Corps?  If you actually had anything stimulating or relevant to say about GOLF, then your comment might achieve some sort of redemption.  As it is, time to ignore.

post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Good News: The game is shifting internationally and there will be increasing pressure to include more non-American "majors". BTW the British Open provides a wonderful paradigm of precisely what I speak of here....it is usually played on a less perfectly manicured course -often links style course where the premium is on that bump and run through harsh weather....imo THE definitive test in golf....as opposed to the good old white boys club in Augusta.....

 

Sounds like your problem is a case of white privilege combined with white guilt.  I hope venting on a golf forum helps you resolve your issues. 

post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Very difficult to compare the two tours....they are divided by many factors icluding quality and type of courses....Typical American courses feature perfectly manicured greens that run 12 stimp or more....euro tour features more roughly hewn greens and landscapes with slower stimps....American golf tends to reward the "bomb and gouge" method...of big ballstriking off the tee and ginormous arcing wedge shots falling from the heavens upon picture perfect greens.....while Euro golf invites more bump and run style play.....there is also a large class division between tours as many PGA guys come from white-bread gated country club backgrounds and are sons of golf royalty (the Haas family comes to mind) while Euro Tour players more commonly come from humbler more hardscrabble backgrounds , often sans college,  and learn the game on municipal "workingmans" courses...See McIlroy, , Poulter, et. al......consequently there's also a considerable political/cultural divide between the tours as well as PGA has a large Christian / Republican constituency while the Euros tend to be more liberal politically -having experienced the benefits of government programs like Universal Healthcare firsthand and not" forgetting where they came from"....they are also more likely to believe that religion is a personal matter and I hear are gobsmacked at the American players endless prayer meetings, fish symbols on bags and "WWJD? wristbands.....cant say that I blame them.

 

Not to mention the long and shameful PGA history of racism, classism and sexism.....only opening their doors to blacks as recently as 1961! The typical PGA Tour player is a whitebread kid from a gated community in the suburbs who learned golf on a private course with instructors and "attended" one of the south's diploma mills for athletes such as pick anyone from the SEC et. al....usually majoring in PE or Business etc.

 

The PGA Tour is by far the more corporatist controlled (not to say the Euro Tour isnt-with its snuggling up to oil barrons in Dubai and the like!) and thus tends to offer larger purse money from week to week....but one can hardly help but laugh when some of these spoiled PGA players claim that they "earn their money based on merit".....yeah except that in the modern PGA world a guy who never, ever wins or even comes close can "earn" a million bucks or more per year!

 

Good News: The game is shifting internationally and there will be increasing pressure to include more non-American "majors". BTW the British Open provides a wonderful paradigm of precisely what I speak of here....it is usually played on a less perfectly manicured course -often links style course where the premium is on that bump and run through harsh weather....imo THE definitive test in golf....as opposed to the good old white boys club in Augusta.....

American golfers, however rich some of their familes might be, are not food.

post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Well at least the gas provides something with which to fill the empty space between thine ears.

 

Boy you're a pretentious snob. Typical liberal no truth or fact in what you say you just more self indulgent ideological cow manure. I could fertilize my whole yard with the stuff your shoveling.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Or perhaps I'm just doing my job....you know...thinking critically about society, culture, etc...a forbidden practice in most conservative quarters these days. If my commentary contains too many multi-syllabic words I'd be happy to help you with it, Sparky.

 

No one around here gave you a job, we're currently not in the market for egotistical prick. And FWIW no need to hyphenate multisyllabic.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Or maybe I'm just making some thoughtful  and considered observations about an aspect of our culture -'Tis part of my job description.   I noticed that thus far none of the geniuses who've replied have had anything constructive to say about the content of my commentary......far too engaged in the anti-intellectual practice of attacking the messenger.

 

Again, you do not have a job here. As far as your commentary is concerned it is nothing more than pompous drivel served up by a self important, arrogant blowhard with a superiority complex.

post #33 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post

No one around here gave you a job, we're currently not in the market for egotistical prick.

 

Yeah, seriously. That's my job. a3_biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › OWGR Biased Against PGA Tour Players