or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Rocketballz face angle?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rocketballz face angle?

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
I just bought the RBZ driver and so far I really like it, but was trying to understand which setting would allow me to close the face angle?
post #2 of 42

When you go up in loft; you close the face. When you go down; you open it. And when you go up or down in loft your changing the face angle double the amount that you're changing the loft. So if you raised the loft .75 degrees then you'd be closing the face 1.5 degrees. Raise the loft 1.5 degrees then you'd close it 3 degrees. 

post #3 of 42


Umm are you sure? I don't see how anything besides simply rotating the face open or closed with your hands will cause the face to open or close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo865 View Post

When you go up in loft; you close the face. When you go down; you open it. And when you go up or down in loft your changing the face angle double the amount that you're changing the loft. So if you raised the loft .75 degrees then you'd be closing the face 1.5 degrees. Raise the loft 1.5 degrees then you'd close it 3 degrees. 



 

post #4 of 42

The way the club works if you change the loft by moving the clubhead to a different position on the FCT sleeve then you also change the face angle.

post #5 of 42


But is that not the same as simply rotating the face open or closed at address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo865 View Post

The way the club works if you change the loft by moving the clubhead to a different position on the FCT sleeve then you also change the face angle.



 

post #6 of 42

Think of it like trying to slice a loaf of bread by hand. You're trying to get each slice to be exactly .25" inches thick. If you put that in a bread slicer you know you'll get that exact thickness and you'll get it in a much more consistent patter than if you did it with a knife by hand. We call this innovation. In other words having an adjustable club makes it so you don't have to try and close or open it with your hands. It does it for you.....

post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo865 View Post

Think of it like trying to slice a loaf of bread by hand. You're trying to get each slice to be exactly .25" inches thick. If you put that in a bread slicer you know you'll get that exact thickness and you'll get it in a much more consistent patter than if you did it with a knife by hand. We call this innovation. In other words having an adjustable club makes it so you don't have to try and close or open it with your hands. It does it for you.....


Nah it's more like the person trying to cut the bread can't be bothered to practice and cut it well themselves, they want a one-size-only bread slicer so that they don't have to. Then when they buy their bread slicer and throw their knife away but decide one day that they want thicker/thinner slices they can't have them because their bread slicer only cuts one size.

 

Some of us enjoy the process of learning how to cut bread well and consistently so that in the future we can choose the thickness of our bread (hit draw or fade as needed)

 

post #8 of 42

It's not like you adjust the club for every shot. You go out on the range and see how you're hitting it that day and if you're not getting the ball flight you want you can make an adjustment. And let's keep in mind it's meant to TUNE.  Not be a cure for a slice or a hook. At most with the RBZ you can only open or close the face 3 degrees. Think about how miniscule 3 degrees is for a second. Another thing is that a lot of these pro golfers have these tour vans and they can get this super custom fit club for them. The average joe doesn't have a tour van but an adjustable club helps fine tune the club to be exactly what you need. Most people I know or have heard of will change the settings when they first buy the club to be the way they like it and then never change it again. I for one have an R11s and have it set to 8.25 degrees of loft and have the sole plate in the first open position and the 10 gram weight in the toe. So I've got my face open 3 degrees which is nice because I have a tendency to pull it a little but and that helps me keep it slightly more manageable if one gets away from me. That's the way I set it when I bought it and it hasn't changed. 

post #9 of 42

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

Nah it's more like the person trying to cut the bread can't be bothered to practice and cut it well themselves, they want a one-size-only bread slicer so that they don't have to. Then when they buy their bread slicer and throw their knife away but decide one day that they want thicker/thinner slices they can't have them because their bread slicer only cuts one size.

 

Some of us enjoy the process of learning how to cut bread well and consistently so that in the future we can choose the thickness of our bread (hit draw or fade as needed)


I disagree.

 

I think it's all about fitting. If you're using club adjustability to fix swing flaws then good luck, because that doesn't really work.

post #10 of 42


Yes but its open or closed in relation to what, the line on the grip? (i.e. "neutral" position)

 

If thats it, it seems silly, I mean lets say you put a grip on that had no alignment lines, the whole mechanism would be moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo865 View Post

Think of it like trying to slice a loaf of bread by hand. You're trying to get each slice to be exactly .25" inches thick. If you put that in a bread slicer you know you'll get that exact thickness and you'll get it in a much more consistent patter than if you did it with a knife by hand. We call this innovation. In other words having an adjustable club makes it so you don't have to try and close or open it with your hands. It does it for you.....



 

post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

Nah it's more like the person trying to cut the bread can't be bothered to practice and cut it well themselves, they want a one-size-only bread slicer so that they don't have to. Then when they buy their bread slicer and throw their knife away but decide one day that they want thicker/thinner slices they can't have them because their bread slicer only cuts one size.

 

Some of us enjoy the process of learning how to cut bread well and consistently so that in the future we can choose the thickness of our bread (hit draw or fade as needed)


I disagree.

 

I think it's all about fitting. If you're using club adjustability to fix swing flaws then good luck, because that doesn't really work.


That's what I mean... If I'm not able to keep the ball in play it's likely a swing flaw. For me personally I'd rather address that swing flaw than buy a tool to fix it for me, which is undoubtedly what I lot of people would buy an adjustable driver for. "I have a horribly uncontrollable slice with my driver, therefore I'll buy a draw driver to reduce it"

 

If the club's purchased in order to let the player use their normal driver swing but adjust it to a draw or fade depending on the course they're playing or tune it as Gordo mentioned then that makes a little more sense but again I personally would rather learn how to hit that shot than have something do it (or help to do it) for me.

 

 

post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo865 View Post

It's not like you adjust the club for every shot. You go out on the range and see how you're hitting it that day and if you're not getting the ball flight you want you can make an adjustment. And let's keep in mind it's meant to TUNE.  Not be a cure for a slice or a hook. At most with the RBZ you can only open or close the face 3 degrees. Think about how miniscule 3 degrees is for a second. Another thing is that a lot of these pro golfers have these tour vans and they can get this super custom fit club for them. The average joe doesn't have a tour van but an adjustable club helps fine tune the club to be exactly what you need. Most people I know or have heard of will change the settings when they first buy the club to be the way they like it and then never change it again. I for one have an R11s and have it set to 8.25 degrees of loft and have the sole plate in the first open position and the 10 gram weight in the toe. So I've got my face open 3 degrees which is nice because I have a tendency to pull it a little but and that helps me keep it slightly more manageable if one gets away from me. That's the way I set it when I bought it and it hasn't changed. 



Uh 3 degrees on a 250 plus yard club is pretty huge. 

 

post #13 of 42

I agree but it's not like it's the type of thing that is gonna make someone go from slicing it into the woods to hitting it dead straight. You still have to be able to hit the ball well and consistently in order for the adjustable factor of a club to take effect. 

post #14 of 42

Well, try adjusting it to see what helps close the face, as you work on on your swing.

 

Assuming the open face is the issue. There are many causes of an open face.

 

But you're better off in practice keeping it neutral and add fixing the swing or taking lessons to address your issues.

post #15 of 42
Thread Starter 

Great info here.

 

Do you think raising the lost .75 which closes the face cause you to lose any distance?

post #16 of 42
That depends. I would recommend going somewhere where there is a launch monitor and hitting it a few times and figure out what to do based on your numbers.
post #17 of 42
I have a slice with my driver. I know that I'm. It turning my hands over through the swing but it's really difficult to fix. The slightly open clubtace causes my slice. Sinnce I got the RBZ driver and closed the faced slightly, I'm hitting it much straighter, a slight draw.
post #18 of 42

I am also lefty and it appears to me that when i adjust the RBZ Driver to -1.5 (Lower) it closes the club face which I would think would may help my slice...or am I off here and changing it to +1.5 would close the face.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Rocketballz face angle?