or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › Golf in San Diego
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf in San Diego

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 

I just found out that my Navy son will be in San Diego for a week at the end of September (I know, I know it's a long way off but I'm excited so sue me! a3_biggrin.gif). There is no way I'm flying out there without playing golf with my boy so I'm asking for advice on where to play. I've been looking at Encinitas Golf Course because it runs along the Pacific and ocean golf is a must on my list and it's not terribly expensive, I'd like to keep it to no more than $100.00 a round. Any & all suggestions are welcome.

post #2 of 33

Well, there's obviously Torrey.  The South Course (US Open) is well over $100 but the North is a good one too that is $100.  Another fun place to play is that affordable is Coronado  http://www.golfcoronado.com/

post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Well, there's obviously Torrey.  The South Course (US Open) is well over $100 but the North is a good one too that is $100.  Another fun place to play is that affordable is Coronado  http://www.golfcoronado.com/


+1 on Coronado.  I've played there and thought it was awesome.

 

 

 

post #4 of 33

+2 for Coronado.  Several of the holes are right on the bay.

 

Crossings at Carlsbad, although I've never played there because it was built after I moved, but have heard it was nice.

 

Riverview (by Qualcomm stadium) is not bad, but may be a little pricey.

 

My favorite reasonable public course (under $50) in the area was Cottonwood (Ivanhoe Course) in El Cajon.  I used to play there all the time and have my only hole in one on that course.

 

EDIT:  Since it sounds like you have military access you should also consider Sea-N-Air on Coronado, Miramar, and Marine Memorial at Camp Pendleton.  I have not played any of them, but heard only good things. (Sea-N-Air appears to have some ocean holes too)

post #5 of 33

See also: http://thesandtrap.com/search.php?search=san+diego

 

Mt. Woodson gets my vote.

post #6 of 33
Coronado is absolutely stunning! I recommend this golf course too.
post #7 of 33
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've never been to Cali before and I'm really looking forward to it. Alot of votes for Coronado so far. Has anyone played Encinitas Ranch?

post #8 of 33

I would NOT bother with Encinitas Ranch.   It isn't right on the water, and the ocean views are distant and only on a few holes.    I don't feel it is a very interesting layout either, and it has some pretty mundane holes and a few really odd holes too (kind of like they ran out of room before laying out all 18).    Its conditioning is really pretty spotty too - to me it is the most overpriced course in the area.  

 

I'd really recommend you try Torrey North while here, especially if this is your first time to the area.   Midweek the rate isn't too bad even for non-residents, and although it isn't as challenging as the South course and doesn't have the US Open history itself you still get the Torrey experience.   It is the only course on the ocean in the area (it is right on the bluffs overlooking the beach), and the North has a number of holes that I think are even more scenic than the South.     It seems every time I play the North I'm teamed up with people from out of town, and they always go away delighted and thrilled with the views and experience - it makes me remember how lucky I am as a resident to be able to play there frequently.

 

I'll echo the Coronado recommendations.   It isn't a real challenging course, it can play fairly slow, and it is kind of hard to get on (especially weekends), but it is in a wonderful location and the views from the holes along the bay are wonderful.   

 

Another place you might try is Aviara in Carlsbad.   The rates are very high for weekend at normal times, but weekday twilight rates are $140.    Although that's higher than your $100 per round budget, if you play Coronado the two will average out to under $100.    Aviara is wonderfully kept, a nice layout with a lot of variety, and nice views of the neighboring lagoon and hillsides.  

 

Riverwalk is conveniently located in the middle of town, but to me it is overpriced for what you get and just doesn't feel very special.   It is only 15 minutes from my house but I've only played it three times in the last 10 years if that's any indication, and really the only reason I played it 3 times was to try out each of the three nines.    

 

As you get closer to your trip let us know what you're thinking and we can update you on any other courses you might consider and their conditions! 

post #9 of 33

Coronado checks off two of your requests.

post #10 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clambake View Post

I would NOT bother with Encinitas Ranch.   It isn't right on the water, and the ocean views are distant and only on a few holes.    I don't feel it is a very interesting layout either, and it has some pretty mundane holes and a few really odd holes too (kind of like they ran out of room before laying out all 18).    Its conditioning is really pretty spotty too - to me it is the most overpriced course in the area.  

 

I'd really recommend you try Torrey North while here, especially if this is your first time to the area.   Midweek the rate isn't too bad even for non-residents, and although it isn't as challenging as the South course and doesn't have the US Open history itself you still get the Torrey experience.   It is the only course on the ocean in the area (it is right on the bluffs overlooking the beach), and the North has a number of holes that I think are even more scenic than the South.     It seems every time I play the North I'm teamed up with people from out of town, and they always go away delighted and thrilled with the views and experience - it makes me remember how lucky I am as a resident to be able to play there frequently.

 

I'll echo the Coronado recommendations.   It isn't a real challenging course, it can play fairly slow, and it is kind of hard to get on (especially weekends), but it is in a wonderful location and the views from the holes along the bay are wonderful.   

 

Another place you might try is Aviara in Carlsbad.   The rates are very high for weekend at normal times, but weekday twilight rates are $140.    Although that's higher than your $100 per round budget, if you play Coronado the two will average out to under $100.    Aviara is wonderfully kept, a nice layout with a lot of variety, and nice views of the neighboring lagoon and hillsides.  

 

Riverwalk is conveniently located in the middle of town, but to me it is overpriced for what you get and just doesn't feel very special.   It is only 15 minutes from my house but I've only played it three times in the last 10 years if that's any indication, and really the only reason I played it 3 times was to try out each of the three nines.    

 

As you get closer to your trip let us know what you're thinking and we can update you on any other courses you might consider and their conditions! 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by msbeebe View Post

Coronado checks off two of your requests.


Thanks for the heads up guys. Glad to get some local opinions.
 

 

post #11 of 33

Your welcome and have fun :D

post #12 of 33

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

+2 for Coronado.  Several of the holes are right on the bay.

 

Crossings at Carlsbad, although I've never played there because it was built after I moved, but have heard it was nice.

 

Riverview (by Qualcomm stadium) is not bad, but may be a little pricey.

 

My favorite reasonable public course (under $50) in the area was Cottonwood (Ivanhoe Course) in El Cajon.  I used to play there all the time and have my only hole in one on that course.

 

EDIT:  Since it sounds like you have military access you should also consider Sea-N-Air on Coronado, Miramar, and Marine Memorial at Camp Pendleton.  I have not played any of them, but heard only good things. (Sea-N-Air appears to have some ocean holes too)

 

With all the recomendations for Coronado I don't want you going in thinking your going to get a perfectly manicured course.  It's a fun round and the price is right.  As far as Sea-N-Air the front and back 9 are very different.  The front has a man made pond in play on nearly every hole.  I don't enjoy the front 9 much but my dad really loved it.  I really like the back 9 as it's not as man made and goes into the dunes. I'd recomend you have your son take you to Coronado in the morning and then play the back 9 on Sea-N-Air after.  Mirimar is usually the best conditioned military course in the area.

 

In my mind the best course in the SD area under $100 for non-locals is out at Barona Creek.  Not a costal course and a bit of a drive but a fun time.

post #13 of 33

Admiral Baker just renovated the North Course and it is beautiful. Sea and Air is also a good bang for the buck course. River Walk in Mission Valley is awesome and the price is good. at around $70. The military courses can be played for $21 during twilight hours. Torrey Pines can be played a bit cheaper with a SD resident card.

post #14 of 33
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not going till September so I've got plenty of time to check them all out. The one major sticking point for me is that I've never been to the west coast and I really want to be able to stand on a few wholes and see the Pacific. Any courses I can do that and keep within my $100 budget?

post #15 of 33

Perhaps Torrey Pines ...

 

http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/golf/torreypines/reservations/fees.shtml

 

I do not know when that $43 advanced booking fee applies, but if you can get a tee time without it, you can play the north for under 100 anytime during the week, and even get on the south for 110 twilight.  (September is still daylight savings time so you might be able to finish a full round)

 

Coronado doesn't have any ocean views, only bay views, bridge views, and city views (which are still quite nice)

 

Sea-n-Air is on the dunes there and seems like it would have ocean views, but I couldn't say for sure cuz I've never played it.

 

Otherwise I don't know.  Encinitas Ranch, Crossings at Carlsbad, Aviara may be high enough to have some distant ocean views???

 

If you want to come up to Orange County (90 min from SD), Monarch Beach in Dana Point has a couple holes right on the water, but it is $125 or so, I believe.

 

EDIT:  Wait, if you would consider a drive to OC, then I forgot one that is definitely in your budget - San Clemente GC http://www.sanclementegc.com/index.htm  It is the southernmost point of OC just north of Camp Pendleton, so probably only 75 min drive from downtown SD, its cheap ($20 or $30), and as you can see from the pictures on the website, has some views of the Pacific.

 

Hope that helps.

post #16 of 33

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

 Encinitas Ranch, Crossings at Carlsbad, Aviara may be high enough to have some distant ocean views???

 

Encinitas has some ocean views, IIRC (and according to some reviews I just found). It's a couple miles inland though, so you're not right on top of the ocean like you would be at Torrey.

post #17 of 33

I echo the Aviara recommendation.  Good track.

post #18 of 33

Golf Torrey Pines for sure, I know one of the pros there, so I could get you a tee time there, otherwise you would have to make one right now or else its a year wait..... The Grand Del Mar is a great course, as is Coronado, and Morgan Run!

 

-Carson-

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Courses and Architecture
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › Golf in San Diego