or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Counterfeit Titleist AP2s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Counterfeit Titleist AP2s - Page 2

post #19 of 83
Nice job!!
post #20 of 83

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clambake View Post

A number of other details also don't match the photos shown on the Titleist website.    The real Titleist clubs have plain black ferrules, while the eBay listing has a silver band on the ferrule.    The little diagonal hash marks on each side of the Titleist logo also don't match.  In the real clubs, each of the hashes appears to be the same width, but in the eBay clubs the hash closest to the Titleist lettering is quite a bit wider.      The hosels also appear to be longer on the eBay club than those on the Titleist site.    

 

Appears fake to me!



Yeah, by themselves, nothing really stands out too blatantly.  But when I did an ebay search for all AP2 712's, those fake ones really stood out.

 

post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post

Ah geeezus ASSEMBLED in the USA. Nitty picker.
 

 


Not at all.

The implication was that they would fall apart BECAUSE they were made in China.

To all those crusaders threatening to send him emails, he'll just ignore you. Or give you a load of BS.

There are hundreds of auctions like this.

The sellers don't feel guilty.

 

 

post #22 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post


Not at all.

The implication was that they would fall apart BECAUSE they were made in China.

To all those crusaders threatening to send him emails, he'll just ignore you. Or give you a load of BS.

There are hundreds of auctions like this.

The sellers don't feel guilty.

 

 


Ya but I feel like I did my part, and Titleist sent me a thank you note.

 

post #23 of 83
Thread Starter 

My BIG question here though is, how and where do these people get these fake clubs from?

 

I mean, they did do a decent job, and apparantly 22 bidders have not even noticed them.

 

I know counterfeit golf goods are a big problem right now. Sure wish we could find out there sources.

post #24 of 83
Thread Starter 

I'm the highest bidder now! My max bid is $5000

 

So if ebay doesn't shut it down, then I won't pay for it obviously. I'm not on the hook to pay because ebay policies were violated.

post #25 of 83


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post

I'm the highest bidder now! My max bid is $5000

 

So if ebay doesn't shut it down, then I won't pay for it obviously. I'm not on the hook to pay because ebay policies were violated.


And you are knowingly offering to buy counterfeit goods. Great plan.z7_no.gif

You're obsessing over this because you have the shits because someone might buy something which looks like what you have and most probably will perform similarly and might be paying less.

The course of action you have taken might leave you with a very red face.

 

 

post #26 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post


 


And you are knowingly offering to buy counterfeit goods. Great plan.z7_no.gif

You're obsessing over this because you have the shits because someone might buy something which looks like what you have and most probably will perform similarly and might be paying less.

The course of action you have taken might leave you with a very red face.

 

 



Are you kidding me? Really? Are you really saying that I'm mad because someone might pay big money for a counterfeit item, and it will perform the same as my authentic irons?

 

Wow Shorty, you are a peice of work. Oh you know what? I'm fat and obese and I can take you in skins any day of the week, and out run you too!!!! 50 yard dash anyone?

post #27 of 83



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post

I'm the highest bidder now! My max bid is $5000

 

So if ebay doesn't shut it down, then I won't pay for it obviously. I'm not on the hook to pay because ebay policies were violated.



Not sure this was a good plan..  I understand your intentions but if I was ebay, and saw you made a bid on the item, I would be skeptical of your claim that the item was a fake..

post #28 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post



 



Not sure this was a good plan..  I understand your intentions but if I was ebay, and saw you made a bid on the item, I would be skeptical of your claim that the item was a fake..


Not really. Why would ebay care. They will do their own investigation, and will find out from Titleist it's fake. And Titleist also already knows and reported this item as well. I'm sure ebay will just end the auction soon. And hopefully the seller gets his ebay and paypal accounts closed.

 

By doing this, I'm hoping to get into heaven now that I've done my good deed. LOL

post #29 of 83

The way these threads usually develop is that people start "wondering" if they can buy the counterfeit clubs, get their money back , but keep the clubs.

They never offer to post a video of themselves destroying the clubs - they just say they're going to have a hit to see "how they compare"  yeah right.

So..the theme is usually "Can I get some counterfeit clubs for free, but come across as a protector of intellectual property,patents and trademarks at the same time?"

 

post #30 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

The way these threads usually develop is that people start "wondering" if they can buy the counterfeit clubs, get their money back , but keep the clubs.

They never offer to post a video of themselves destroying the clubs - they just say they're going to have a hit to see "how they compare"  yeah right.

So..the theme is usually "Can I get some counterfeit clubs for free, but come across as a protector of intellectual property,patents and trademarks at the same time?"

 

 

Weird explination? Isn't anybody offeneded at how performance of counterfeit clubs could perform as well as authentic clubs. You are basically insulating everyone on this forum who has spent high dollars on their authentic clubs.

 

And that would be impossible, on ebay, to keep the item and get your money back. It's ebay/paypals policy, that if you cancel the transaction, for reasons of "the item is not as described", you MUST return the items, and the seller receives them, before they issue you a refund.
 

 

post #31 of 83
You have definitely taken a risk putting
yourself as the highest bidder. Not sure I would have done that.


Good luck...
post #32 of 83
Thread Starter 

No risk at all. I'm not worried. If I win the item, and they don't remove the auction. The transaction becomes canceled due to ebays policies with counterfeiting.

 

I found an article online, about the huge problem with counterfeit golf clubs.

 

"Such a system would certainly have helped Scott Fong, a computer engineer in Rocklin, California, who logged on to eBay last summer and purchased what was described as a set of new Callaway X-14 irons. His winning bid? A hefty $725, for clubs that would have cost $1,040 at retail. When the irons arrived, they were in their original packaging, individually wrapped. But Fong, a 16 handicapper, noticed some slight imperfections in the Callaway lettering. Worried, he took the irons to the practice range and discovered that he had more trouble than usual hitting them straight. When he compared them with Callaway demos at the clubhouse, he found that his club heads were slightly larger than the demos'. He contacted Callaway, which put Stu Herrington on the case."

 
So bottom line is, counterfeit golf clubs, you can't hit them straight.
post #33 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post

So bottom line is, counterfeit golf clubs, you can't hit them straight.


No.

Bottom line is that Scott Fong had the experience you quoted.

I would not want counterfeit clubs.

You don't want counterfeit clubs.

Many people have them and don't even know it.

Some are crap golfers, some are good golfers.

Some people want tyhem because they want to impress their friends.

Look at all the "SC putter for $99 is it legit?" threads

 

Companies like Titleist (Fila) employ people to protect their name.

Best to just pass on information, rather than digging yourself into a hole making bids you don't intend to honour on clubs you think might be counterfeit

 

 

post #34 of 83
Thread Starter 

Uh oh, it looks like they are cracking down on these internet sites selling this crap.

 

Read this article here: http://www.internetretailer.com/2012/04/10/court-shuts-down-175-sites-selling-counterfeit-golf-goods

post #35 of 83

Reporting it to ebay was a good idea but the 5k bid was a terrible idea... You should have asked for a serial number and tried to verify it yourself with titleist. A lot of the good fakes have real serial numbers etc. if ebay can't prove they are fake you will be on the hook for 5k. Most of the time with fakes you will have to pay the 5k and then you have to prove they are fake after you receive them. 

 

 

Good Luck...

post #36 of 83

So I would have to assume he bought the Rocketbalz and R11's from his work too?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Counterfeit Titleist AP2s