or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Looking for a new hybrid or fairway wood
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a new hybrid or fairway wood

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

So im currently looking for a longer range club i can hit in the fairways and am trying to decide if the hybrid is the best way to go or if i should stick with fairway woods. Are hybrids significantly easier to hit? are they comparable in distance? Just looking for some guidance here everyone. All suggestions and opinions are welcome.

post #2 of 10

I like hybrids if the loft is about 20 degrees and woods if the loft is below 20 degrees.

post #3 of 10

I picked up a 19 degree Taylormade RBZ hybrid and I love it.  I have never hit or owned a hybrid until this year and I tried a ton of them before I decided on the RBZ.  Its a little pricey but its very easy to hit off the ground, out of the ruff, and off the tee. The main reason I like the RBZ was the fact that it looks like a fairway wood. A lot of the hybrids looked funny to me at address cause of that iron wood mix look they have and this one doesnt have that look. The irons set I got didnt come with a 3 iron and thats why I wanted a hybrid and I can hit this club much better than I could ever hit a 3 iron.
 

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 

Just purchased an RBZ 19 degree hybrid. I hit it this afternoon and was suprized at not only how easy it was to hit, but also how much it felt like i was hitting a driver of the terf. love this club!

post #5 of 10

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406bogeys View Post

So im currently looking for a longer range club i can hit in the fairways and am trying to decide if the hybrid is the best way to go or if i should stick with fairway woods. Are hybrids significantly easier to hit? are they comparable in distance? Just looking for some guidance here everyone. All suggestions and opinions are welcome.

 


I don't like fairway woods as hybrids are easier to make better contact with. Yes, they are easier, than a FW, to hit as you swing them like your iron.

 

Yes, the FW will go further, but depending on how good you are, right?  I'll take a consistent 200 yards from my hybrid than a once-in-while 230+ from a FW (YMMV).

 

 

post #6 of 10

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle View Post

I like hybrids if the loft is about 20 degrees and woods if the loft is below 20 degrees.

 

By trial and error, I have found this to be on the mark.  I have an average swing speed and hybrids and irons with lofts below 20* are hard for me to get airborne consistently.  One of my 2012 goals is to learn to how use my 5W....consistently.

post #7 of 10

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post

 

 

By trial and error, I have found this to be on the mark.  I have an average swing speed and hybrids and irons with lofts below 20* are hard for me to get airborne consistently.  One of my 2012 goals is to learn to how use my 5W....consistently.

 

 I'm a low ball hitter too.  I carry a 1,3, 5 wood and then jump to 3H and 4H, 5-PW, GW, and SW.  I hit the 5 wood 10 to 20 longer than I hit a 2H.  I hit the 3H just as far as I hit a 7 wood, but with more control.

post #8 of 10

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406bogeys View Post

Just purchased an RBZ 19 degree hybrid. I hit it this afternoon and was suprized at not only how easy it was to hit, but also how much it felt like i was hitting a driver of the terf. love this club!

 

 

RocketBallz Hybrids and Fairways are really good, easiest fairway wood I've ever hit.  A 4 wood might be a good option too

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 

I am extremely happy with this purchase. I am hitting the RBZ 3 hybrid consistently 225 to 235 and straight as a string. this is slowly becoming one of my favorite clubs in the bag. So easy to hit and really feels like a driver on impact. Im considering taking the 3 wood out of my bag just because of the consistency i am getting out of the hybrid. I will sacrifice 30 yards if i can always be in the fairway.

post #10 of 10

keep in mind most hybrids are going to give you a higher ball flight and less roll on impact with the ground for comparable models. I just purchsed a Wilson DXi 3H at 19*. i havent hit it yet, but when i do i can post and let you know how it feels. Not knocking TM and the RBZ line by anymeans, but it's much easier on the pocket.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Looking for a new hybrid or fairway wood