or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tiger Woods in Charlotte will not hold press conferences?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tiger Woods in Charlotte will not hold press conferences? - Page 2

Poll Results: Is it smart for Tiger to not participate in press conferences during the Wells Fargo Championships?

 
  • 47% (8)
    Yes
  • 35% (6)
    No
  • 17% (3)
    Too many variables to accurately decide
17 Total Votes  
post #19 of 36

I read that there is nothing in his agreement with the PGA or PGA Tour that stipulates he must do press conferences so it's his choice to do them or not.  Why would he do them when he knows that the majority of questions he's asked will be non-golf related and just re-hash topics he's either already commented on or refused to comment on in the past.  What will the press ask Tiger - about HH book, his wife, his club throwing, why he thinks he's not winning?  All been asked and answered a million times. 

 

The press needs to learn that having access to celebrities is a privilege and that once they get their story they need to move on to cover current events and not just drudge up old news.  Tiger is setting a precedent that will cause the press to reconsider how they deal with him and other celebrities who they don't show respect towards. 

 

I do agree when Tiger became a pro he signed up for the whole package which includes dealing with the press (which he did), but I don't see guys like Miceli cheapshot other golfers the way he does Tiger.  If I knew I was going to be abused in every press conference I went to I'd do what Tiger is too. 

post #20 of 36

I've never understood the reasoning behind saying that celebrities choose that lifestyle, therefore they are completely open to any kind of praise or bashing from the public. It's beyond me.

 

Tiger can do whatever he wants in my opinion. If he hasn't signed anything contractually saying he needs to do x and y press conferences, then nobody can tell him otherwise. He must be so damn sick and tired of the same lame questions over and over. The guy is a damn human being. I don't condone what he did, but give it a rest. He doesn't deserve to be publicly bashed and scrutinized everywhere he goes.

 

I am not even a Tiger Woods fan. But the guy was insane. And it seems that most people would love to see him bounce right back and get some more of that Woods fire in tournaments. So get off his back, so that he can focus on golf instead of trying to defend himself or explain every tiny little thing he's doing.

post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvanwyk View Post

I've never understood the reasoning behind saying that celebrities choose that lifestyle, therefore they are completely open to any kind of praise or bashing from the public. It's beyond me. 

He's not getting hundreds of millions of dollars to just play golf.  He's getting it because his golfing abilities allow companies to sell products and airtime.  Part of that ability hinges on the public's perception of him.  I'm sure he knew this was the case when he decided to turn pro in 1996.  Remember the "Hello World" presser?

post #22 of 36

I think it's entirely his choice.

 

Right now he's faced with people asking him ridiculous questions after each round and he's in a no win situation. If he stands around and answers he gets bitched at for not answering in the way the interviewer/commentator/viewer deems suitable enough for their standards or not giving enough information.

 

"Tiger, how did you feel when your ball went into the water costing you the entire tournament?"

"How do you think I felt? As you said I just lost the tournament..."
"I can't believe how rude he was"

Let the guy play golf the way he wants to.

post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

I think it's entirely his choice.

 

Right now he's faced with people asking him ridiculous questions after each round and he's in a no win situation. If he stands around and answers he gets bitched at for not answering in the way the interviewer/commentator/viewer deems suitable enough for their standards or not giving enough information.

 

"Tiger, how did you feel when your ball went into the water costing you the entire tournament?"

"How do you think I felt? As you said I just lost the tournament..."
"I can't believe how rude he was"

Let the guy play golf the way he wants to.

 Then they need to kick those shock journalists out of the pressers and take away their press credentials.  I agree people are asking Tiger questions just to get a rise out of him so they can create news where none exists.

post #24 of 36

I watched and liked the video. Normal press conference material is BRUTAL to me. It's someone else's opinion on the answer tiger gives. This was actually tiger's answer.

 

Little stuff like, him talking about the made putt on 17 after watching funk 4 putt. Saying he was trying to ensure a 2 putt and just get the ball down near the hole without putting off the green. Maybe he's given that much detail in the past in a conference? I've never heard that much detail or that specific thought process. I was glad to hear it.

 

Too bad for the reporters. They are going to have to evolve. Social media/internet penetration (lol) etc will continue to change traditional media.

post #25 of 36

I side with Tiger on this as well.  Tiger is a great golfer, he's doing what he loves because he's good at it.  So, figure you might as well make money while your at it.  But, sponsors want differently.  They don't want golf, they want you to show the world what their product is.  The media cares more for dirt than praise.  Before the scandal, not sure how many people knew who Tiger was, but once the dirt got out by the media, everyone knows who he is and wants him to continue dishing dirt.  Tiger happens to have much of the golf dirt now, which is why media is bashing him for not attending the press conference.  First and foremost, he's around to play golf, not appease the media by telling the world his own personal life and get abused for it.  By making his own video, he can tell the media world about his golf game, not his dirt.  The after-round interviews most people will answer to, because it asks about golf, not other things.  If media actually asked only golf-related questions, I think he would feel comfortable going to answer questions.

post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle View Post

He's not getting hundreds of millions of dollars to just play golf.  He's getting it because his golfing abilities allow companies to sell products and airtime.  Part of that ability hinges on the public's perception of him.  I'm sure he knew this was the case when he decided to turn pro in 1996.  Remember the "Hello World" presser?

 

How does skipping the occasional press conference change that?

 

The only people who seem to be pissed about this are the sportswriters, and that's largely true because Tiger's all they want to talk about, and if he starts eliminating them as the middle men, they'll be less valuable.

post #27 of 36

Bad idea because Tiger needs the media as much as they need Tiger and because it makes him look bad because it creates the perception that he is screening questions and is only answering the one that he wants to answer.

post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

How does skipping the occasional press conference change that?

 

The only people who seem to be pissed about this are the sportswriters, and that's largely true because Tiger's all they want to talk about, and if he starts eliminating them as the middle men, they'll be less valuable.

 My response was response to celebrities and the public scrutiny they face and whether it is warranted or not.  As far as skipping this specific press conference, not really a huge deal.  Kind of a weak move in my opinion, but hey that's just my opinion.

post #29 of 36

Don't we get enough coverage of his swing and other bs? What is one press conference? Let it slide. Let him focus on playing golf. Isn't that what we say about our forums most of the time.

 

I mean what if every day you went to work, people pointed out all your failings from the day before and how you suck as a person?

post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle View Post

 

 

 Tiger has made hundreds of millions of dollars off of the public's desire to watch him play golf.  This type of invasive questioning comes with the career he chose.

 

I disagree.  The golf media should devote themselves to golf.  If they want to do gossip, then go to work for the Enquirer.  If I was in his position, I might not boycott the press, but I'd be upfront about what I would and would not discuss.  And any reporter who crossed the line would be on my permanent blacklist.  With what his name has brought to the PGA Tour in money and publicity, he pretty much has the right to name his own ticket in that respect.

post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvanwyk View Post

I've never understood the reasoning behind saying that celebrities choose that lifestyle, therefore they are completely open to any kind of praise or bashing from the public. It's beyond me.

 

It's a cop-out excuse for not holding certain professions (reporters, journalists) up to the same standards as they hold athletes.  For example, people will criticize athletes for not "respecting the game," being enough of a role model or being mature enough.  However, they don't hold a petulant or immature reporter to the same standard.  They can be as unprofessional or petty as they like, and the athlete just has to take it.  I find some of these folks don't hold themselves in their professions to the same standards as athletes or entertainers.  A game of golf or football is no more or less sacred than a marketing agent or carpenter.  Either hold everybody to the same standard or realize all of these guys are human and fallible, and nobody really enjoys being asked how they are recovering from their scandal or how it feels being unsuccessful for so long since their scandal each week they show up to work.  That would be like some stranger you've never met coming to your job every Monday and asking if you've recovered from your divorce yet, and have you learned anything from it?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleistWI View Post

Bad idea because Tiger needs the media as much as they need Tiger.

 

How much does Tiger need the media?  I doubt he needs them much at all.  He's probably still doing fine financially, and for the past two years the media hasn't exactly been kind to him.  If anything, I'd say the media has been more focused on (and rightly so) propping up the "young guns" in golf who would challenge each other for the right to Tiger's former throne.

 

Brandon

post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

I disagree.  The golf media should devote themselves to golf.  If they want to do gossip, then go to work for the Enquirer.  If I was in his position, I might not boycott the press, but I'd be upfront about what I would and would not discuss.  And any reporter who crossed the line would be on my permanent blacklist.  With what his name has brought to the PGA Tour in money and publicity, he pretty much has the right to name his own ticket in that respect.

 Eh, half of the "golf stories" are non-golf related.  Players don't seem to mind them when they are sympathetic or complimentary.  I think the writers are being a bunch of babies and I think Tiger looked weak by puting out that fluff piece.  I don't think Tiger is bigger than the game or the tour.  Certainly he has elevated it, but the game was doing fine before Tiger and will be fine if he quits golf all together.

post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View PostHow much does Tiger need the media?  I doubt he needs them much at all.  He's probably still doing fine financially, and for the past two years the media hasn't exactly been kind to him.  If anything, I'd say the media has been more focused on (and rightly so) propping up the "young guns" in golf who would challenge each other for the right to Tiger's former throne.

 

Brandon

He needs the media to help repair his image.  Tiger doesnt exactly do himself many favors and if the media stopped talking about him, people would quickly forget that he even exists.

post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleistWI View Post

He needs the media to help repair his image.  Tiger doesnt exactly do himself many favors and if the media stopped talking about him, people would quickly forget that he even exists.

Nah, the media isn't going to improve his image one iota. Winning will do that. Plus, it's not like people will stop talking about him even if he stops doing press conferences all together (which doesn't seem likely).
post #35 of 36
The interesting question for me is how many people watched the video versus would watch snippets of his press conference. While in the beginning I think this will give him more exposure because of the novelty later on after that has worn off it may just push him further into obscurity. Combine that with not winning and it is not a good marketing recipe.


I think as long as Tiger keeps winning he can keep doing this. But if he starts to not win anymore it will be harder for him to get sponsors being so far out of the public eye with this strategy.

post #36 of 36

The press has a way of quoting stuff out of context or leaving things out of interviews.

 

They like sensationalism and would probably want to concentrate on his private life than his golf life.

 

I don't blame him.

 

It's the same with politics.  The press is irresponsible.

 

Look what they did to Fuzzy Zoeller.  He never got over it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tiger Woods in Charlotte will not hold press conferences?