or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › My new favorite affordable Myrtle Beach course
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My new favorite affordable Myrtle Beach course

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 

Just came back from my annual week of golf in Myrtle Beach and found a new favorite course that's actually affordable.  This year we had to play courses that were a bit cheaper because of financial problems with a couple in our group, so we picked the average courses:  Wild Wing Avocet, Waterway Hills, etc.

 

But playing these more affordable courses, we stumbled on a jewel.  Aberdeen Country Club was a great course.  Good fast greens, lush fairways, and the course was a challenge for everyone.  The staff was very friendly as well.  Pace of play was excellent, which is abnormal at Myrtle Beach.  We actually played 36 holes there we liked it so much.  In fact, the course was so empty on the 2nd round that we didn't see another golfer on the back 9 at all.  It was a truly enjoyable experience and will go on my "must play" list for next year.

 

The most disappointing for the week was Man O' War.  The water levels were really low, so it wasn't visually appealing at all.  The greens weren't in great shape compared to the other courses, and the rough was PGA Tour style thick Bermuda, which made even finding a ball in the rough difficult.

post #2 of 38

Thanks for the recommendation (our group is going back this winter)  ... that was my biggest complaint about MB the one time I was there ... it was like a conspiracy - with hundreds of courses, it was simply impossible to find cheap golf there.     I guess I'm spoiled in PA - don't mind paying for a destination course, but takes the fun out of it to have to pay alot for average courses.

post #3 of 38
Thread Starter 

I figured out quickly that in order to get decent prices at MB, you have to go through one of the booking agents and get a package deal.  The Walk-On rate at Waterway was 98.00, which was just ridiculous.  You can book it for under $50 through one of the agents.  We have used Ambassador Golf the past couple years, and they did well for us.  It was $180 a person for the 4 courses we played, and you can get really cheap replays if you get that as an option for your package.  We didn't do that this year, and we kind of jaw-dropped at the replay prices at Waterway Hills.  Aberdeen offered really really cheap replays, which is another reason we played an additional 18 holes.

 

We played:

 

Waterway Hills

Aberdeen Country Club

Wild Wing Avocet

Man O' War

 

I had to leave a day early, but 2 of the other guys stayed and played Grand Dunes for an additional $60 or so, and raved about it as well.

post #4 of 38

Grand Dunes is my favorite course in the area. I hope you get a chance to play it sometime.  I'm sad to hear about Man O' War as that is the final course we are playing on my upcoming trip. 

post #5 of 38
Thread Starter 

Don't get me wrong, Man O' War wasn't horrible by any means, but with the hype that came with it, it didn't deliver.  Especially since the water levels were so low that there was 4ft of mud surrounding what was left of the water.  The main draw to Man O' War is the water everywhere, but without the water levels, it's not attractive at all.

post #6 of 38

I really liked Farmstead, half of it was in SC the other half in NC.  I think it was around 40 bucks for a round as part of my golf package which I thought was a pretty good price and a nice course.

post #7 of 38

I went to Myrtle in May, also played Waterway Hills.  I was not Impressed at all.  It is a $45 course at most.  We also played World Tour (Highly Recommended), playing Amen Corner there is a real treat. Everyone there was extremely friendly and helpful.  I chatted with the ranger for 10 min. while the rest of my group putted out.

post #8 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo View Post

I went to Myrtle in May, also played Waterway Hills.  I was not Impressed at all.  It is a $45 course at most.  We also played World Tour (Highly Recommended), playing Amen Corner there is a real treat. Everyone there was extremely friendly and helpful.  I chatted with the ranger for 10 min. while the rest of my group putted out.

I've played World Tour twice this year, and it was great both times.  Service is excellent, probably the best I've seen in MB.  I can't wait until they replace the last 9 bent grass greens with the Champion Bermuda, the side with the synthetic sand and Bermuda greens was sweet, but the side that hasn't been redone yet needed a little work.  Still one of my favorites to play, and it's cheap this time of year as well.

 

Waterway Hills.......  bleh.  For some reason one guy in our group likes the course, but I don't care for it much at all.  I can play nicer courses here without the 2 hour drive and pay less overall.

post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post

Don't get me wrong, Man O' War wasn't horrible by any means, but with the hype that came with it, it didn't deliver.  Especially since the water levels were so low that there was 4ft of mud surrounding what was left of the water.  The main draw to Man O' War is the water everywhere, but without the water levels, it's not attractive at all.

 

Man-O-War  was not attractive in the Spring with regular water levels. We found it visually dull, a one-trick-pony ("Look! Another hole with water as the feature."), very slow pace, and over-hyped.

 

We like Witch as our sleeper.

post #10 of 38

Anyone ever play Sandpiper Bay? It's in NC but still considered Myrtle Beach area. I played it over the summer for about $30. It's in great shape; perfect 'mini-bermuda' (not sure if that's the right name) greens, etc. But it wasn't visually impressive or anything, and a fairly boring or plain lay out. It has several awards, and for the price I couldn't complain.

post #11 of 38

Just got back from MB - was just there for a long weekend & some budget golf ... played 3 courses:

 

River Oaks ($30 via Golfnow.com) - 27 hole layout.    Enjoyed it, even if it was kind of beat up from ALOT of play.    Tight with lots of creeks & ponds.    Bear course was far more enjoyable than the Otter course.   Will play the Fox course next time in lieu of the Otter course.

 

Indigo Creek (~ $25 via Golfnow.com).    Without question, the tightest course I've ever played - wish I brought my 3 iron for tee shots.   All fairways were among the condo's - many  holes crossed back & forth across the access roads.    Rainy & windy day, so it was especially tough.   Would try it again under more favorable circumstances, WITH A 3 IRON !!

 

Meadowlands ($45).   About 45 minutes north, just over the NC border.     Fantastic course - nice open layout with plenty of trouble - very fair course.    Great value for the price.    Would recommend to anyone - enjoyed it alot.  

 

FYI - I learned the golf booking agencies aren't much help if you're not willing to pay ~ $100 to play a round. 

 

FYII - played a really nice executive Par 3 course on arrival day (had a few hours to kill before dinner) called Tupelo Bay - had tons of fun - took less than 3 hours & surprisingly they had lots of long par 3 holes and several driver & 3 wood off the tee holes.

post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post

Just got back from MB - was just there for a long weekend & some budget golf ... played 3 courses:

 

River Oaks ($30 via Golfnow.com) - 27 hole layout.    Enjoyed it, even if it was kind of beat up from ALOT of play.    Tight with lots of creeks & ponds.    Bear course was far more enjoyable than the Otter course.   Will play the Fox course next time in lieu of the Otter course.

 

Indigo Creek (~ $25 via Golfnow.com).    Without question, the tightest course I've ever played - wish I brought my 3 iron for tee shots.   All fairways were among the condo's - many  holes crossed back & forth across the access roads.    Rainy & windy day, so it was especially tough.   Would try it again under more favorable circumstances, WITH A 3 IRON !!

 

Meadowlands ($45).   About 45 minutes north, just over the NC border.     Fantastic course - nice open layout with plenty of trouble - very fair course.    Great value for the price.    Would recommend to anyone - enjoyed it alot.  

 

FYI - I learned the golf booking agencies aren't much help if you're not willing to pay ~ $100 to play a round. 

 

FYII - played a really nice executive Par 3 course on arrival day (had a few hours to kill before dinner) called Tupelo Bay - had tons of fun - took less than 3 hours & surprisingly they had lots of long par 3 holes and several driver & 3 wood off the tee holes.

 

curious if anybody's played Meadowlands ?

post #13 of 38

Played Aberdeen Country Club yesterday off the back of your recommendation. Lovely course, shame about my golf. The designer must have played with a cut, water in play for a draw on the majority of holes on the Highlands 9. Thanks.

post #14 of 38
Ive been living and playing golf in Myrtle Beach for the last 14 years. I'd be happy to answer any "local" questions or give some tips on how to score some better deals on affordable golf.

I've played Man O' War and Waterway Hills quite a few times. They are 2 of the worst tracks in this town. Sounds like you guys have been playing on a MBN golf package, as those courses are part of that.

Aberdeen is a decent course. It's been a few years since I've played there. I may need to put it on my list for the next couple weeks.

Myrtle Beach must play courses:

Caledonia
True Blue
Barefoot Love Course
Tigers Eye
Crow Creek (value pick)
post #15 of 38

I've played most of the 100 or so courses in the MB area. The courses mentioned by the OP  (Aberdeen, Waterway, Man O War)  aren't among my favorite 40 (except for Wildwing). Here is a link to my favorites and a link to photo tours of MB courses from my most recent trips.

 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157632004669462/  MB courses photo tours

 

http://golfcourses.weebly.com/myrtle-beach--the-grand-strand.html - MB Favorite Course site

post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabram View Post

I've played most of the 100 or so courses in the MB area. The courses mentioned by the OP  (Aberdeen, Waterway, Man O War)  aren't among my favorite 40 (except for Wildwing). Here is a link to my favorites and a link to photo tours of MB courses from my most recent trips.

 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157632004669462/  MB courses photo tours

 

http://golfcourses.weebly.com/myrtle-beach--the-grand-strand.html - MB Favorite Course site

 

 

The above list (MB Favorite Course site) is spot on.  Great list of courses.....by far some of the best in this area.  You certainly can't go wrong playing any one of them.

 

Great list and photos!!

post #17 of 38

One of the reasons I rarely go to MB which is surprising because of the variety and reasonable green fees is you basically cannot walk.

 

Has that changed there are or is it the same, most of the courses make you take a cart?

post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

One of the reasons I rarely go to MB which is surprising because of the variety and reasonable green fees is you basically cannot walk.

Has that changed there are or is it the same, most of the courses make you take a cart?

If you are playing in myrtle beach, plan on taking a cart. There are very few courses that allow walking, and even so, it's usually only allowed in the off season and in the late afternoon. b3_huh.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Courses and Architecture
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › My new favorite affordable Myrtle Beach course