or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Feherty Packing Heat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Feherty Packing Heat - Page 7

post #109 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post

Yes that is true, basically you can shoot someone if human lives are in danger or there is danger of someone causing great bodily harm. You just can't shoot someone who is stealing your car or burglarizing an empty home. No deadly force against property crime.

 

As you probably know, that's not true. Carjacking specifically was mentioned in the law I cited. Now obviously we both know that doesn't mean someone stealing your car from your driveway while you run out the front door, so...

post #110 of 148

As an American I am amused at the "guns are the problem" line of reasoning and that one person wanting to have a handgun creates all this dialogue.

My good friend who immigrated to the USA from Scotland last year is a perfect example of this kind of thinking. He's a 7 handicap (notice the golf connection), graduated from college and completed graduate school, but only brings to this discussion things with which he is familar. In his native homeland, people are stabbed routinely when they are robbed. Sadly, when the attacker is smaller in size than the person he is going to victimize, they will usually stab first and then take the wallet and other items of value. Handguns are almost non-existant, but the crimes motivated by greed and malice are common.

 

As a law-abiding Scottish citizen he is not allowed to carry a knife or even a flashlight to ward off would-be assailants.  He has the right to be victimized - stabbed, assaulted, or possibly killed.

 

If Ferherty was joking or being sincere I do not know. But, I do know that it sucks to be in the position of being victimized - when the law gives you no options to defend yourself except your fists. Sadly, one can try to wisely avoid all kinds of bad situations, but still be assaulted, robbed, raped, or murdered.

 

Anyone who knows history understands that people who have a shortage of good values and an abundance of aggressive tendencies tend to hurt and kill others to get what they want. It is a human thing...no study on evolution has born out the notion that we, humans, are getting better and better as a race. But, most people who live in relatively safe regions of the world could almost believe that this is true.

 

* Some of the data cited above that shows that Illinois is not among states who have the lowest gun deaths per capita even though they have the toughest gun laws in the country! Carrying handguns in that state is strictly prohibited! 

 

* The US Supreme Court heard all of the evidence in the Washington D.C. case and concluded that the District of Columbia could not make it's case that it was in the best interest of it's citizens to ban handguns. The handgun ban was struck down by the court.

 

Where I live it takes up to 20 minutes for police officers to respond to a criminal complaint in an emergency situation...go figure. In many large cities it takes longer. If you are expecting them to show up wielding their clubs and guns to keep you from being victimized, well...I hope you will be the lucky one. But, it is a lousy plan.

 

* Finally for all you Martin/Zimmerman posters...my congrats to those of you who realize that we don't know all the facts.

 

What we do know is that people in the media formed snap judgments about what occured - several weeks after the incident found its way into the news cycle! Weeks!
 

One major news outlet edited 911 tapes when then aired them (accidentally, I must add) cutting out the question of the 911 operator who asked the race of the young man to add fuel to the theory that this was racially motivated. Another news outlet blurred video to obscure visible cuts on Zimmerman's head. And, yet, another outlet aired a doctored audio tape where the "n" word was put in it!  They wanted more drama attached to this shooting. And, they succeeded in creating it.  Now, they are much quieter as evidence is released and testimony is being taken.

 

I don't know what happened that night, but I trust that there are still enough value-driven people involved in this case on both sides to debate the charges, consider the evidence and make a reasoned decision. From my experience, the criminal courtroom (not civil) is about the only context where reason prevails the overwehelming majority of the time - not so much in blogs and internet forums.

 

* I know that in America everyone has a right to their opinion, but not everyone's opinion should carry the same weight in arriving at conclusions. Just imagine if this kind of half-witted reasoning was applied to other fields of study. Medicine, physics, or golf. In golf, we would have people teaching others how to play golf with the same kind of irrational, don't-confuse-me-with-the facts bullsh*t attitude.  Oh, that does happen. Nevermind.

post #111 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

As you probably know, that's not true. Carjacking specifically was mentioned in the law I cited. Now obviously we both know that doesn't mean someone stealing your car from your driveway while you run out the front door, so...


Yes I think we can agree that carjacking is somewhat different from Gone in 60 Seconds. I actually had a friend who was carjacked/kidnapped. The guy made him drive him around for like 4 hours at gun point before the thief finally made him get out and took his car. I can't imagine what it would be like to have that happen.

post #112 of 148

Zimmerman … in the news … again.

 

Girlfriend calls 911 and says he pulled a gun.

 

Zimmerman calls 911 to say, "No I didn't."

 

Should the police not have come to the house when Zim corrected the situation?

 

Does this possibly change your mind about the Trayvon Martin trial?

 

___

 

Zimmerman’s girlfriend, Samantha Scheibe, told a 911 operator and deputies that she and Zimmerman were having a “verbal dispute,” and she alleged that he broke a table and pointed a long-barreled shotgun at her, Lemma said.

Both Scheibe and Zimmerman separately called 911 — one from inside the house and one from outside — and police have released audio of the calls.

In Scheibe’s, she can be heard shouting at Zimmerman: “You just broke my glass table, you just broke my sunglasses, and you put your gun in my f------’ face, and told me to get the f--- out!”

She can then be heard pleading with Zimmerman to leave her house, before telling a dispatcher: “He just pushed me out of my house and locked me out!” She also alleged that Zimmerman barricaded the front door with furniture, according to Lemma.

Moments later, she tells a dispatcher: “He knows how to do this. He knows how to play this game.”

The Seminole County Sheriff's office released the 911 audio of George Zimmerman's phone call to 911 after alleged altercation with his girlfriend.

When asked what kind of weapon her boyfriend displayed, Scheibe said it was a “shotgun,” adding that “he has all of his guns inside, both the shotgun and his AR” as well as “two handguns.”

Looking to clarify, the 911 operator asks Scheibe if Zimmerman has an “AR-15 ” — an assault rifle — and she replies, “yeah.”

In the other audio recording, Zimmerman tells a dispatcher: “My girlfriend has, for lack of a better word, gone crazy on me.”

When asked why he’s calling, Zimmerman replies: “I just want everyone to know the truth.”

Zimmerman also denies brandishing any weapon at his girlfriend.

 

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/18/21521590-911-calls-released-following-zimmerman-domestic-disturbance-arrest?lite

post #113 of 148

He eventually will hurt someone again. I'm so glad Florida gave him back his weapons.:doh:

post #114 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

I'm so glad Florida gave him back his weapons.d2_doh.gif

Me too, since they had no reason not to.....
post #115 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


Me too, since they had no reason not to.....

Well, he does have issues.

 

Trayvon, his wife, now his pregnant girlfriend.

 

Can you say a danger to those close to him?

 

At least order him psycho-analyzed.

 

My bet is if you argue with him on a solo basis where he feels the need for control ... he will have a tendency to pull a gun.

post #116 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

Well, he does have issues.

 

Trayvon, his wife, now his pregnant girlfriend.

 

Can you say a danger to those close to him?

 

At least order him psycho-analyzed.

 

My bet is if you argue with him on a solo basis where he feels the need for control ... he will have a tendency to pull a gun.

I'm all for protecting our rights to bear arms but I have to agree with Mr. D here.  Zimmerman is showing signs of having some mental issues that need to be addressed before he hurts himself or someone close to him.  If they determine he's of sound mind to own a gun, give it back to him but he's shown some poor judgment since the Martin trial concluded.

post #117 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Well, he does have issues.

Trayvon, his wife, now his pregnant girlfriend.

Can you say a danger to those close to him?

At least order him psycho-analyzed.

My bet is if you argue with him on a solo basis where he feels the need for control ... he will have a tendency to pull a gun.

Zimmerman's a mess......no doubt.

My point was simply that there was no reason not to return his weapon to him post trial though. BTW.....the whole Martin thing took place less about 10 miles from me, so we were pretty tuned in! Jury got the Martin verdict absolutely right.....
post #118 of 148

If you see Zimmerman @David in FL , give him a wide berth.

post #119 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

If you see Zimmerman @David in FL
 , give him a wide berth.
Or shoot him just to be on the safe side.
post #120 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


Zimmerman's a mess......no doubt.

My point was simply that there was no reason not to return his weapon to him post trial though. BTW.....the whole Martin thing took place less about 10 miles from me, so we were pretty tuned in! Jury got the Martin verdict absolutely right.....

Yes, but since Martin was not there to testify -- didn't we get a one-sided story that was bolstered by physical evidence?

 

We didn't get the verbal confrontation or threats made beforehand by either man.

 

The reality of our history is that things always go better if you're white and the black guy is dead. But if the white guy is dead and the black guy lives - things don't go well for the black guy.

post #121 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

Yes, but since Martin was not there to testify -- didn't we get a one-sided story that was bolstered by physical evidence?

 

We didn't get the verbal confrontation or threats made beforehand by either man.

 

The reality of our history is that things always go better if you're white and the black guy is dead. But if the white guy is dead and the black guy lives - things don't go well for the black guy.

 

I like it when things don't go well for the young thug beating up the innocent guy.......regardless of race.

 

But maybe that's just me.

post #122 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

I like it when things don't go well for the young thug beating up the innocent guy.......regardless of race.

 

But maybe that's just me.

The point is, we only heard one side of the story.

 

Innocent? Not exactly.

 

I am the one usually labeled as naive -- but it's either your bias at work or naiveté.

 

The verdict is guilty or not guilty -- it is not a verdict of innocent.

 

Zimmerman was not innocent, and now with the recent incident, it casts doubt on his story in the Martin case.

post #123 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

The point is, we only heard one side of the story.

 

Innocent? Not exactly.

 

I am the one usually labeled as naive -- but it's either your bias at work or naiveté.

 

The verdict is guilty or not guilty -- it is not a verdict of innocent.

 

Zimmerman was not innocent, and now with the recent incident, it casts doubt on his story in the Martin case.

 

Sorry not guilty......but that doesn't preclude innocence either.  What do you know about the recent case?

 

......and no, one has nothing to do with the other.

post #124 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

Sorry not guilty......but that doesn't preclude innocence either.  What do you know about the recent case?

 

......and no, one has nothing to do with the other.

They have nothing to do with the other ... legally.

 

It's more about the feeling that the truth was not revealed in the Martin case. Zimmerman looks to be a head case, and it was evident before the Martin case.

post #125 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

They have nothing to do with the other ... legally.

It's more about the feeling that the truth was not revealed in the Martin case. Zimmerman looks to be a head case, and it was evident before the Martin case.

I don't disagree with that!
post #126 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post

As soon as you get a CCW and begin carrying a gun you take on more responsibility than an average person. You have to make a better decision than George Zimmerman did.

 

Quote:

You cannot get into conflicts that might escalate into physical confrontations. You can't flip that guy off that cut you off in his car, you can't just go pop off to some guy that irritates you, and you cannot walk up to a strange person in your neighborhood and ask them why they are there.

Quote:

 I would not however take it upon myself to follow this person nor confront them about their activities

Quote:

 You cannot insert yourself into a situation like that if you are carrying a gun. You shouldn't do it even if you're not

 

That sure is a lot of qualifiers that one must have worked out in their head to be able to carry a gun. Do qualifiers also include to have a gentlemanly agreement not pull a gun in altercations?  Not to make bad decisions while drunk? Avoiding having a shoot-em-up with an evildoer in a crowd? No pissing off irrational packing bubba in the parking lot?

 

With all of that fun taken away, what's the point in carrying?

 

Laws and restrictions placed upon our 'freedoms' are not meant to be mean to NM Golf. They are to protect society from people that do not have the self restraint that you claim to have. And, I think all of the pro-gun crowd would feel a little uncomfortable if it became a fact that everybody around them in public was armed. Let's don't think that deeply, though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Feherty Packing Heat