or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Feherty Packing Heat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Feherty Packing Heat - Page 2

post #19 of 148

I carry, and I can tell you it makes a person become more in tune with avoidance techniques.      I think far more about not going places and avoiding potentially unsafe situations, so as to not ever have to use it.     But, there are alot of thugs and gangs even in PA, and it does give me piece of mind when I'm out with my family.      It's nice to have the option to not be a victim of someone who places absolutely no value on your or your wife's life ...

post #20 of 148
Quote:

Riddle me this: Can you name a single person who's shot an intruder dead in their home? Doubt it. Now can you name 10 shooting victims? I'm guessing you can. 

 

 

There is an awful lot of fallacious information in this thread!

 

I can't name anyone who has shot an intruder nor can I name any gun shot victims. However, I do know that defensive use of firearms (whether or not a shot is fired) occurs between 1.5 million and 3 million times each year in the U.S., depending on which study you peruse.

 

I wear a seat belt every time I'm in a vehicle. I have several fire extinguishers in my home. I lock my doors at night. I use sunblock. I eat my broccoli. I also carry. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

 

So how do you control the amount of draw based on club face angle?

post #21 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post

Yeah I mean it seems 99% of the shootings in this country occur because people are lawfully carrying guns. Criminals are just such a small percentage of it. You seem to be in the group of people who, whenever a state switches to "shall issue", cries that there will be blood in the streets. Evidence please?  The state of Florida, which has issued over 2 million concealed carry permits since it adopted a `right-to-carry' law in 1987, has revoked just 6,400 permits (just 0.3 percent of the total issued permits) and just 168 concealed carry permits were revoked due to the use of a firearm in a crime (just 0.008 percent). 

the only statistic that I can look at in this is the 168 permits that were revoked due to use in a crime.  I don't care what the % is. Thats 168 people that use this privilege wrongly risking the lives of others.  I think carrying is fine, but there has to be a lot stricter rules so that these incidents don't occur.  If your scared of being shot by a gang, DONT LIVE THERE!  And most of all, you shouldn't be giving them a reason to harm you.  Why go around and say hey I have a carrying permit buddy, don't mess with me.  I think that would just make it worse.  Ignore people your scared of and go about your day as if you didn't know them.

I guess a fun idea that can become of having a gun is hit the range with your clubs and see if you can shoot the ball before it lands.  Practice for 2 things!

post #22 of 148

I appreciate this isnt a gun thread par se'

 

but my $0.2

 

Good people in america carry guns to protect themselves from bad people that carry guns

 

If you took away bad peoples guns, then good people wouldnt need to carry guns

 

But if you only took away the good peoples guns, and not the bad peoples,....that could be bad

 

I dont really see the point of guns, having handled many i have never felt cool being in posession of one, nor have i ever felt safe being in the posession of one,......no matter how well trained you are, how good a shot you think you are,.....many people forget that the little battery sized cylinder in the barrell/magazine of that thing the size of a ladys purse has the capabilities to kill, end of, nado, no second chance,......and many people forget that the bullet isnt biased, its a tool, it doesnt differentiate betwoon good and bad, self defence or attack,......

 

with the safety off, and no more than a few millimeteres of finger travel you have taken away a liife, someones son/daughter, husband, wife, mother, father

 

The whole "i need a permit to take my gun to the range" is crap,....the ranges should all have lockers where it is permanently kept

 

Ban guns except for law enforcement,...i wish uk police where ALL allowed to carry and not just specialist teams,.....

 

I never wish to meet a civilian that carries,....they are usually stupid and cannot account for the un-expectability of such a weapon

post #23 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post

So by expanding the right to carry a gun in not just the southern parts of the country is going to take away people's right to vote? The state of Vermont has never had a law against carry a pistol openly or concealed without a permit and they're in a very liberal part of the country. Low crime rate too. Seems to be a lot of poor education on this threat when it comes to guns but it's a golf forum. This thread was not intended to be an argument about guns I was simply pointing out the fact I think it's cool Feherty is a gun owner/carrier. 

Nah, just seeing a trend here - we seem to be going backwards in our evolution instead of forward with the disdain for science, evolution, women's rights, curbing voting rights, etc. Packing guns reminds people of the old west - so the image is backwards...

 

Frankly, I don't know the solution to the violence in our country. But if you're going to pack heat, I'd rather cut out all the loopholes in getting a gun and actually have the people who want the gun pay for background checks.

post #24 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

I can think of nothing more uncool than people walking aroung carrying guns.

And as far as Feherty goes, he's going in the direction of Gary McCord, where he's in danger of becomoing a parody of himself.

At his best, he's probably one of the most insightful and humorous commentators, but he's becoming too commercial and is a little too close to the players to maintain his objectivity, IMO.

Sweet! Finally, one thing (so far) where I can say I agree with Shorty 100%.

post #25 of 148

guns and politics - no point in arguing with people from the same country, much less abroad...

post #26 of 148

Thread moved to The Grill Room.

post #27 of 148

If I ever felt I needed to carry a gun to protect myself. I would move.

post #28 of 148
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post

guns and politics - no point in arguing with people from the same country, much less abroad...

You have the two best posts on this thread. It appears people simply don't get it because they are really just uneducated on the topic.

post #29 of 148

I carry, in fact I carry 100% of the time when it is legal. I am an intelligent very well educated person, I am not a gun nut nor am I someone who likes to argue about the right to bear arms. I do not carry to feel cool, carrying a gun does not make me cool. Personally, I do not let people know that I have the right to carry concealed or that I am carrying because there are too many people out there that are "sheep". It can make someone feel uncomfortable and I realize that, but I am not going to make myself more vulnerable because of someone else's personal hang-ups. The fact that Feherty made his decision so publically is wrong in my opinion, that is why they call them concealed carry licenses, so people don't know you have a gun.

 

People like to think that the police are there to protect you. I have much respect for the police but they are there to investigate and solve crimes, not to prevent them. Personally I would rather be alive than have my murder solved. I take on the responsibility to keep myself and my loved ones safe from harm. I do so by being prepared for what I know is out there. There is a great excerpt for the book On Killing by Dave Grossman , a retired Lt. Colonel in the U.S. Army. It is called "On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs" it best explains why I choose to carry a gun.

 

Making the decision to carry a gun is a very personal one and it should not be taken lightly. I do agree that some people out there might do it for the wrong reason, but they probably do a lot of stupid things for the wrong reason. I will also not try to argue my point and try to convince the anti-gun people on this forum that guns are good or bad. I just wanted to share my views about something I feel very deeply about.

 

post #30 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post

As much as I hate to go against what I'm sure is a very well-rehearsed tirade on gun permits, I don't think allowing a lot of people to have guns is going to help. I don't need to present evidence to back up an opinion, and I really don't give a crap about whatever statistics you can bring up. I'm talking about human life here, not numbers.

 

In other words, you're happy to remain ignorant to the facts of the situation because you suspect they might contradict you. You're entitled to your opinion, no question. But an informed opinion carries more weight than an uninformed one.

 

I've heard from (read, talked to, etc.) several criminologists who study the gun issue. When they go into it, most are adamant that they don't like guns, guns are bad, and they expect to find that guns kill people. Turns out guns don't kill people. People do (the old joke is true). Areas with high gun ownership have decreased rates of violent crime. Guns are used in self defense surprisingly frequently. They run stats, and study the issue, and at the end of their studies, they end up supporting the idea of gun ownership, and proving that gun ownership reduces crime.


Michael Moore's stupid "documentary" (it's not a documentary) about guns made the point that Canada has higher gun ownership per capita than the U.S. but lower gun crimes. Why? Because Canada doesn't have inner cities. They don't have the poverty the U.S. has. The "gun" problem in the U.S. isn't a "gun" problem, it's a violence problem, and that problem exists because of ECONOMIC problems. Remove minority-on-minority gun stats from the U.S. population and what do you find? Lower gun violence rates than other similar countries. Where do the majority of minorities live? Inner cities. How many of them have CCW permits, again? Oh, right... Suicide rates also toy with U.S. gun violence rates.

 

Gun arguments always seem to come down to these two positions:

  • Those who favor CCW and gun ownership have a good number of statistics, studies, and relevant facts and data.
  • Those who oppose CCW, gun ownership, etc. play on the emotional support and say things like "think of all the children shot each year!"

 

When the second group chooses to use data, it's often easily debunked. For example: most stats for the U.S. count suicides by gun among gun deaths while suicides are not counted for other countries, artificially raising the U.S. totals, for example.

 

Here's a book people on both sides of the issue should read: http://www.amazon.com/Armed-New-Perspectives-Gun-Control/dp/1573928836 .

 

If you're one of the people in the second group who opposes the heck out of guns, I hope that some day if some shit starts hitting the fan, some law-abiding citizen around you chose to carry that day.

 

There are a lot more reasonable gun owners out there than there are wackos.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

Ban guns except for law enforcement,...i wish uk police where ALL allowed to carry and not just specialist teams,.....

 

I never wish to meet a civilian that carries,....they are usually stupid and cannot account for the un-expectability of such a weapon

 

They're usually stupid? They cannot account for the simple mechanical nature of a gun? Seriously?

 

And since when did criminals care about what the law says? Yeah, it's that easy. "Guns are banned except for law enforcement!" That'll solve the problem. Everyone will just give up their guns. Criminals too.

 


 

For the record, I own two handguns. A 9mm (cheap ammo, enough power to stop a dude without being too much for anyone to handle) and a target .22 with a nice scope on it. Good for shooting squirrels if I ever wanted to do that, I suppose.

 

I used to take the 9mm with me some times when I'd launch my kayaks in Florida sometimes. Some of those boat launches are in less safe places and it was often 4am or 5am when I'd be out there. I kept it on the kayak too in case I encountered a croc or alligator or shark that was particularly hungry. They're both beneath my bed in a locked safe, and if someone's in my house, I know my rights and will protect my wife and daughter. Then again, the criminal would have to be stupid enough to enter a house with an "NRA Lifetime Member" sticker on a few of the doors (no, the NRA isn't great - they're a bit wacky for my taste too).

 

I don't carry the guns anymore - except to go to the range so I can remain familiar with them, of course - but I don't need to, either, because I no longer wander around "bad parts" of town at 5am.

post #31 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

 

I never wish to meet a civilian that carries,....they are usually stupid and cannot account for the un-expectability of such a weapon

 

Damn, I log in to find out I'm a stupid engineer!  There goes my hump day!

 

Slim to no chance we will meet..... thank god for that.

 

Since I'm now deemed to be stupid, can you explain the "un-expectability of such a weapon" part?  I happen to be carrying at the moment, and want to make sure nothing un-expectabil happens with my weapon!

post #32 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post

I carry, in fact I carry 100% of the time when it is legal. I am an intelligent very well educated person, I am not a gun nut nor am I someone who likes to argue about the right to bear arms. I do not carry to feel cool, carrying a gun does not make me cool. Personally, I do not let people know that I have the right to carry concealed or that I am carrying because there are too many people out there that are "sheep". It can make someone feel uncomfortable and I realize that, but I am not going to make myself more vulnerable because of someone else's personal hang-ups. The fact that Feherty made his decision so publically is wrong in my opinion, that is why they call them concealed carry licenses, so people don't know you have a gun.

 

People like to think that the police are there to protect you. I have much respect for the police but they are there to investigate and solve crimes, not to prevent them. Personally I would rather be alive than have my murder solved. I take on the responsibility to keep myself and my loved ones safe from harm. I do so by being prepared for what I know is out there. There is a great excerpt for the book On Killing by Dave Grossman , a retired Lt. Colonel in the U.S. Army. It is called "On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs" it best explains why I choose to carry a gun.

 

Making the decision to carry a gun is a very personal one and it should not be taken lightly. I do agree that some people out there might do it for the wrong reason, but they probably do a lot of stupid things for the wrong reason. I will also not try to argue my point and try to convince the anti-gun people on this forum that guns are good or bad. I just wanted to share my views about something I feel very deeply about.

 

 

Since there is no right or wrong answer this works^^  It's a personal choice. It's a shame we are not more evolved but we're not... so you make a choice. I was born and raised in TX....for most there they are just a part of life. Not good nor bad, just guns. I know a lot of solid citizens who own and or carry...again it's a choice.

 

I stopped carrying because I would rather be dead than in jail for life. Just because you say it is personal protection does not mean a jury will. Holy crap a life sentence in prison is worse than the death sentence to me. YMMV

 

As far as Fehery goes he was probably just looking to get a rise from readers......so he did.

post #33 of 148

Feherty is very proud to be an American citizen and I think that in the interview he's using a pretty lethal dose of irony - pretending to have an attitude which he may perceive as one of the most unattractive American stereotypes.

post #34 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiller View Post

It's a shame we are not more evolved but we're not... so you make a choice.

 

Evolution has nothing to do with it. I'm plenty well evolved. I realize there are some bad people out there, particularly in certain parts of town(s). I will protect my family and myself. What does any of that have to do with evolving? There are bad people out there. Make them "evolve" so they're not "bad" and there's literally zero threat to me or my family and I will melt my guns down.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiller View Post

I stopped carrying because I would rather be dead than in jail for life. Just because you say it is personal protection does not mean a jury will.

 

Uhm, okay. Is that an "evolved" line of logic?

 

I might choose to be dead rather than a braindead person, but dead versus having a chance to defend myself knowing the laws of the land? It's not even close.

post #35 of 148
Hmmm perhaps my phrasing was wrong,.....apologies i wasnt trying to convey that people who carry guns are stupid, but the concept of carrying one (to me) is stupid

Sometimes its hard to pervey a feeling via text

Erik - it was obviously a sweeping statement regarding the law only carrying guns,....im sure if you offered criminals a bounty for handing in weapons, free from prosecution for illegal ownership, mamy would take the cash,...criminals are greedy,....heck the uk got a high percentage of knives of the street by just asking nicely, imagine if there was a cash incentive?,....but again i will reiterate its a very sweeping statement,

Glock35 - firstly refer above re:stupidty,..........regarding the un-expectability,...granted if you are carefull you lower the risk,...but what if you drop ot and it negligently discharges?, you catch the trigger on something? A child accidentally grabs it?,....its all remote i admit, but thats why its called accidents

I fully appreciate why you carry guns in the situation you are presented with,....but if you could get guns off the street how much nicer would it be walking out for front door and not thinking about getting shot, or having.to pack heat?

I never see the usa changing, as for it being my issue its not, im just perveying an opinion from an idealistic viewpoint on how i would like the world to be
, full of gentleman, good honest people, no murders, thefts, fights, whatever,...aint gunna happen, but i can be optomistic cant i?

Again apologies for any offence, i genuinely didnt mean any
post #36 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

Erik - it was obviously a sweeping statement regarding the law only carrying guns,....im sure if you offered criminals a bounty for handing in weapons, free from prosecution for illegal ownership, mamy would take the cash,...criminals are greedy,....heck the uk got a high percentage of knives of the street by just asking nicely, imagine if there was a cash incentive?,....but again i will reiterate its a very sweeping statement,

 

Really? Criminals are going to take a few bucks to turn in their guns? C'mon, man, you can't even believe that's true.


Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

Glock35 - firstly refer above re:stupidty,..........regarding the un-expectability,...granted if you are carefull you lower the risk,...but what if you drop ot and it negligently discharges?, you catch the trigger on something? A child accidentally grabs it?,....its all remote i admit, but thats why its called accidents

 

How often do those things happen? Do you realize that they basically don't happen? That guns carried by CCW permit holders are used in self defense several orders of magnitude more frequently than "you catch the trigger on something" or "a child accidentally grabs [your concealed weapon]"?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

I fully appreciate why you carry guns in the situation you are presented with,....but if you could get guns off the street how much nicer would it be walking out for front door and not thinking about getting shot, or having.to pack heat?

 

 

And if pigs could fly, we'd all be +4s. C'mon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

I never see the usa changing, as for it being my issue its not, im just perveying an opinion from an idealistic viewpoint on how i would like the world to be
, full of gentleman, good honest people, no murders, thefts, fights, whatever,...aint gunna happen, but i can be optomistic cant i?
 

Dude, I mean this nicely... there's optimism, and there's whatever you're doing, but it ain't optimism.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Feherty Packing Heat