or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Ben Hogan Would Be Irrelevant Today
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ben Hogan Would Be Irrelevant Today - Page 5

post #73 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by allin View Post

I get very frustrated by Internet posts that act as if there has been a million years biological evolution in the past 75 years. The truth is we will never know if players from the past would be as dominant today. Bobby Jones was about the same size as Rory, Nicklaus and BJ Holmes have similar builds. I am convinced that most past greats would still be great today, just like current golfers their skills would benefit from modern training, video, balls and clubs. Compare each their own era, rate their success against their peers. If anything you could make the case that given inferior equipment, tougher travel, less year round play, less well groomed courses that previous greats were more accomplished.

 

It's not a simple matter of biological evolution, it's more and better effort being put into a cause. More like, the cause itself evolved since their time. Had Hogan been born in today's time, sure he probably would be great.

 

But I don't think these (already pointless) discussions make any sense in that frame of logic. We just talk about the actual player that was witnessed playing years ago versus the players of today. That's not a contest really.

post #74 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay4LIFE View Post

 

 

 

I've reported your post. I don't find that particularly humorous.

 

Maybe you find racism to give you the LOLs but I find it just absolutely repugnant that an otherwise very serious and constructive discussion confirming Hogan's irrelevance in the modern game of golf would be reduced to racism.

 

Unbelievable. 

 

Lemme see if I can muster enough ire to give a damn.

 

The reason you don't find humor in it is cuz it wasn't meant to be.

 

I didn't create the caucasian clause, dumbass. It was in effect when Hogan played the tour. Tiger would have not been allowed to play the PGA tour in Hogan's day. Therefore, he would have been irrelevant, to use your term. Got it?

 

Go to the bank, take out a loan, and buy a clue.

post #75 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay4LIFE View Post

In tennis, I will never know if I can return a Nadal Serve. In baseball, I'll never know if I can hit a Greg Maddox homerun.

I know.... You can't do either!
post #76 of 147
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle View Post

We're approaching the latter stages of the message board troll life cycle.  The point where people are onto him and are starting to withhold his regular feedings.  Soon the feedings will

stop all together.  As the feedings decrease and this troll starves more and more his posts will grow more and more outlandish and probably offensive, in the hopes of garnering the attention he so desperately needs and isn't able to get in real life. 

I-Was-So-Mad-9780307119391.jpg

post #77 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay4LIFE View Post

I-Was-So-Mad-9780307119391.jpg

 

Okay, I have to admit, this was funny!

 

LMAO!

post #78 of 147

Alright guys.  Let's just punch it out and be friends already.

post #79 of 147

I really think it's an impossible subject to gain a definitive answer to. Because it has to work both ways.

 

What if Tiger was born in Hogan's era. What if he didn't have the luxury of going to a golfing school and college and being able to focus all his time on building his game. WHat if what if what if. There could have been players who would have kicked his ass. Maybe he would have been irrelevant. Maybe he wouldn't have bothered practising with crappy equipment in crappy conditions. I'm reckoning Snead would have whipped him good and proper. But hey, I'm speculating...just like everyone is when trying to answer a question such as this.

post #80 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerputt View Post

Alright guys.  Let's just punch it out and be friends already.

I'm waiting for his next post.  I imagine it will be about how golf is for elitist snobs or something else to get everyone riled up.

post #81 of 147

This thread is awesome.  At least every now and then, we can put aside our legitimate "Jack v. Tiger" differences and unite in a single opinion:  this dude is a major douche.

post #82 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post

This thread is awesome.  At least every now and then, we can put aside our legitimate "Jack v. Tiger" differences and unite in a single opinion:  this dude is a major douche.

Surprised that he didn't claim a lower handicap.  You would think a guy like this, that has created a profile for the sole purpose of trolling would claim a single digit handicap.

post #83 of 147

I just stumbled on this thread...wow.

 

Classic a-hole move:  make a statement that is clearly intended to create argument, "A lot of people think the sky is blue, but I'm here to tell you it's acutally INDIGO."  Then, attack everybody that takes the bait and argues with you.

 

Maybe I'm already past it on this thread, but my first thought on reading it was, "Who cares?"  You don't think Ben Hogan would have been a legendary champion if he played today....OK.  Got it.  Can't prove you're right, can't prove you're wrong.  Fun thread.

post #84 of 147

This is the very definition of a troll thread.  Pitiful.

post #85 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post

This thread is awesome.  At least every now and then, we can put aside our legitimate "Jack v. Tiger" differences and unite in a single opinion:  this dude is a major douche.

 

 

:D
 
Can't tell if he really is a legit douche or just someone trying out the douchy act though
post #86 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapanda View Post

 

 

:D
 
Can't tell if he really is a legit douche or just someone trying out the douchy act though

Whatever it is, he appears to be gone now.  Someone else must have needed his computer at the public library.

post #87 of 147

I hope he comes back because I really thought we were finally going to get around to settling the question of which car model is better:  Ford or Chevy....
 

post #88 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerputt View Post

I hope he comes back because I really thought we were finally going to get around to settling the question of which car model is better:  Ford or Chevy....
 

Ford Cobra >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything Chevy has ever made.  This is not opinion.  It is fact.  a3_biggrin.gif

post #89 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay4LIFE View Post

 

I was hoping that no one would bring up Bobby Jones when typing up the OP because I really didn't want to have this discussion, but I guess we'll have to.

 

Bobby Jones is a joke. There, I said it, and yeah, I mean it.

 

The man. Was. A. Lawyer.

 

Seriously. He was a LAWYER.

 

He NEVER played golf full time, and he was playing against others who did not play golf full time. He had absolutely no competition. Hist competition were a bunch of rich white men who had the money to be playing a significant amount of golf, read: other professionals. The same could be said about Hogan, to a lesser degree.

 

Think about it. Today there are universities and high schools all across the world devoted to churning out amazing golfers. not a bunch of part time doctors and lawyers who are pretty good at a little golf and want to dink it around in some tournament once in awhile.

 

Oh yeah, and before everyone is like "OH HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ABOUT BOBBY JONES HE BUILD AUGUSTA!"

 

TPC Sawgrass > Augusta 

While it is true that Jones was not a full time golfer, I do believe he beat full time golfers when he won his U.S. & British Opens. A few holes in your argument,no?

post #90 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle View Post

Ford Cobra >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything Chevy has ever made.  This is not opinion.  It is fact.  a3_biggrin.gif

 

I disagree, I think Chevy makes some really good models, like the Camaro. It's not in the same class as the Cobra, but if we analyse the cars in terms of what they were built to do, I think Camaro does his job extremely well.

 

 

Of course, it should be noted that I am racist.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Ben Hogan Would Be Irrelevant Today