or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › Callaway HEX Black Tour...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Callaway HEX Black Tour...

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I love them personally, like a lot... just not the high price point, but I can deal with it I suppose, lol. It'd be great if they had some deals on them...

 

A great ball overall tho for my game. I think it's the best out there. What are others' thoughts on the ball for those that have tried it?

post #2 of 18

Try the HEX Chrome. 3 piece, basically same performance, but aimed at a lower clubhead speed. They have good spin and distance. $36 a dozen. I actually got a sleeve of Bridgestone e5 which is the only 2 piece ball with a urethane cover ($26 a dozen, wanted to see how good) and boy are they nice. Really good spin. I might switch because hey...I would save $10 the next time I need balls.

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajst22 View Post

Try the HEX Chrome. 3 piece, basically same performance, but aimed at a lower clubhead speed. They have good spin and distance. $36 a dozen. I actually got a sleeve of Bridgestone e5 which is the only 2 piece ball with a urethane cover ($26 a dozen, wanted to see how good) and boy are they nice. Really good spin. I might switch because hey...I would save $10 the next time I need balls.


I am a bit curious about the Chrome however my clubhead speed is about 107mph. Sometimes as high as around 110-111mph. I wonder how much they'd jump off the clubface with a bit higher speeds...

 

I enjoy hitting Bridgestones from time to time as well. Really good balls. I have this thing tho where it's like I only want to buy (or more like) play a ball that started at a $40+ price point. I know I'll be getting the most out of my game with a top-end ball, or at least that's what I hope for... lol

post #4 of 18

The both look sick, but because mom make me pay for everything now, I'm saving up for something in this range squier_tele_custom_II.jpg

post #5 of 18

I just tried the HEX Chrome this past weekend, for the first time.

 

I really like them, they are long, and get good spin from shot irons into the green.

 

I've been playing the NXT Tour's for about the last 5 years. They just don't quite perform as good as the Callaways.

post #6 of 18
They are a decent ball, couldn't beat out the Z-Star XV for me, but it was close.

GPPGolf.com has the Hex Blacks for $33 a dozen.
post #7 of 18

Ebay has them for about 30 bucks/dozen which seems pretty decent for a tour ball. I am sure Callaway will have a 3 for the price of 2 deal at some point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallawayGolf25 View Post

I love them personally, like a lot... just not the high price point, but I can deal with it I suppose, lol. It'd be great if they had some deals on them...

 

A great ball overall tho for my game. I think it's the best out there. What are others' thoughts on the ball for those that have tried it?

post #8 of 18

I have to agree regarding the Chrome.  I have switched from the Penta (which has been my go to ball the last two seasons).  I get plenty of spin on full and partial wedge shots and I also get release from the Chrome for when I want to run the ball when chipping.
 

post #9 of 18

Going to give them a shot this weekend. I play Taylormade TP Blacks and Penta's, but want to try a different ball.

post #10 of 18

I played the HEX Chrome for the first time this past weekend (I found one on the course and was curious).  These balls are great!  I'm going to pick up a sleeve of the HEX Black Tour as well and give them a shot.  I'm guessing the Tour may have a bit too much spin off the tee for me though.

 

I'm really happy with the NXT Tour, and they are a slightly less expensive so I'll probably stick with them.  But I really did like the HEX Chrome!

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajst22 View Post

I actually got a sleeve of Bridgestone e5 which is the only 2 piece ball with a urethane cover ($26 a dozen, wanted to see how good) and boy are they nice. 

 

Actually, the new Maxfli U2 is a 2 piece with a urethane cover.  Just a friendly FYI.

post #12 of 18

I just tried the MaxFli U/2 a couple of days ago, and I liked it, except for the clicky sound off the putter.  It spins okay, but still not enough to suit me, so next I'm trying the Z Star.  I practiced putting/chipping/pitching with it today, and so far, so good.  I love Srixon's yellow color.  Just noticed today, that the Hex Chrome now comes in yellow, also.  I might try that one next, since it's a bit cheaper than the Z Star (normally), and spins about the same, according to GD's chart.   

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallawayGolf25 View Post


I am a bit curious about the Chrome however my clubhead speed is about 107mph. Sometimes as high as around 110-111mph. I wonder how much they'd jump off the clubface with a bit higher speeds...

 

I enjoy hitting Bridgestones from time to time as well. Really good balls. I have this thing tho where it's like I only want to buy (or more like) play a ball that started at a $40+ price point. I know I'll be getting the most out of my game with a top-end ball, or at least that's what I hope for... lol

The Chrome is probably for under 105mph my guess, but I am also considering getting a sleeve of the Bridgestone B330 RXS (their ball for under 105 with maximum spin) because I really like the e5. I just like to see what is out there.

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek02 View Post

 

Actually, the new Maxfli U2 is a 2 piece with a urethane cover.  Just a friendly FYI.

Ahh you're right. My bad...they didn't come to mind.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tefunk View Post

I played the HEX Chrome for the first time this past weekend (I found one on the course and was curious).  These balls are great!  I'm going to pick up a sleeve of the HEX Black Tour as well and give them a shot.  I'm guessing the Tour may have a bit too much spin off the tee for me though.

 

I'm really happy with the NXT Tour, and they are a slightly less expensive so I'll probably stick with them.  But I really did like the HEX Chrome!

I used to play the NXT Tour, but they didn't spin enough for me, and had a noticible distance over the NXT. This year with the Velocity and the new NXT Tour/ NXT Tour S, I don't know how well they perform so I am just going with last year's results. I don't feel that I had to compromise with the Chrome

post #16 of 18

Just started with the HEX Black Tour. Excellent ball.  Its dimple design is marketed as especially useful in windy conditions, and I think there is a difference (never easy to prove).

 

What especially attracted me to the Black is that it's not marketed as a high spinning ball yet feels soft for putting and short chips.  It's not pillow soft like some balls, but very far from the firm, almost rock-like feel of some.

 

The advice I've seen before about choosing the right ball  is to start with what works best for the shortest shots and then work back.  The HEX Black seems to fit well for me from the short back to the long shots.

post #17 of 18

My game isn't really good enough for a higher dollar ball, so I've been mostly playing the Gamer V2, since I can find them quite often for about $10/doz.  I have also played the Callaway HX Diablo, the HX Diablo Tour, the Taylormade Burner LDP, Titleist NXT and a few balls I have found around the course.   Anyway, I got a gift certificate to Golf Galaxy that was set to expire, so I decided to splurge and try the Hex Chrome..   I played them today for the first time.   At a 95mph swing speed, this ball was way longer than the other balls I have played and was biting good off the short irons.    One hop and stop.   I doubt I play them much because I don't think I am to the point where I want to drop $3/ball regularly but you can bet I will play this ball when I feel flush!     It was flat amazing!

post #18 of 18

Played them this weekend, can't say I'd make the switch from the Z-Star yellow. I'll certainly not be giving them away when I find one though, definitely a ball I'd put into action if I have a scary shot over some water or trying to play a potential lost ball shot, they felt really good and had some good spin.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › Callaway HEX Black Tour...