or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Michelle Wie...Will she ever return to her previous form?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Michelle Wie...Will she ever return to her previous form? - Page 2

post #19 of 124

From what I read she only got her degree/diploma this past weekend. Give her some time  to where she is only concentrating on golf. She graduated from Stanford for crying out loud! I think she deserves praise and not criticism.  

post #20 of 124

I wouldn't say she's burned out because there was never a fire in the first place.

Hyped to be a great golfer. Going to do this and that, but never has. So I'd say she is still exactly where she has always been - a nike commercial.

 

Let's not drag up the Stanford thing please.

post #21 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thhole View Post

Let's not drag up the Stanford thing please.

Huh?
post #22 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thhole View Post

I wouldn't say she's burned out because there was never a fire in the first place.
Hyped to be a great golfer. Going to do this and that, but never has. So I'd say she is still exactly where she has always been - a nike commercial.

Let's not drag up the Stanford thing please.

"The Stanford thing" is basically her entire life for the last 5 (?) years.
post #23 of 124

The Stanford remark was aimed at whether she actually went there based on her accademic abilities or golfing abilities? Also I'm sure she picked something really accademic to major in as well just like all other sports stars.

 

It was aimed at the poster who said we should lay off because she has just graduated from Standford. Like that's what's caused her to be a mediocre golfer.

post #24 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thhole View Post

The Stanford remark was aimed at whether she actually went there based on her accademic abilities or golfing abilities? Also I'm sure she picked something really accademic to major in as well just like all other sports stars.

 

It was aimed at the poster who said we should lay off because she has just graduated from Standford. Like that's what's caused her to be a mediocre golfer.

 

 

haters gotta hate.  so much for golf being a gentleman's (or gentlewoman's) game.

post #25 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thhole View Post

The Stanford remark was aimed at whether she actually went there based on her accademic abilities or golfing abilities? Also I'm sure she picked something really accademic to major in as well just like all other sports stars.

It was aimed at the poster who said we should lay off because she has just graduated from Standford. Like that's what's caused her to be a mediocre golfer.

FWIW, she was a Communication major. Also, she isn't "just like all other sports stars." She turned pro when she was 15, and never played college golf. If you want to argue the challenge of a Comm degree from Stanford and whether or not she was given preferential treatment by the admissions department be my guest, but she won two LPGA Tour events while she was still a college student. That's pretty impressive.
post #26 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thhole View Post

The Stanford remark was aimed at whether she actually went there based on her accademic abilities or golfing abilities?

Uhm... She was a pro and thus unable to play for Stanford or do anything to advance Stanford as a college golfer. And golf isn't exactly a high-profile sport - she wasn't some top-ranked QB coming out of high school for which they might bend the rules. And, you know, it's Stanford, not Florida State or something. Plus I bet she can spell the word "academic."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thhole View Post

It was aimed at the poster who said we should lay off because she has just graduated from Standford. Like that's what's caused her to be a mediocre golfer.

Seriously? First, she could probably give you five a side and beat you silly, and what about "full-time student, graduating on time" says to you that it couldn't have had an effect on her ability to compete against full-time golfers?

Plus, what Jamo said.
post #27 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


FWIW, she was a Communication major. Also, she isn't "just like all other sports stars." She turned pro when she was 15, and never played college golf. If you want to argue the challenge of a Comm degree from Stanford and whether or not she was given preferential treatment by the admissions department be my guest, but she won two LPGA Tour events while she was still a college student. That's pretty impressive.

 And your point is:

http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/what-is-a-communications-major/

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


Uhm... She was a pro and thus unable to play for Stanford or do anything to advance Stanford as a college golfer. And golf isn't exactly a high-profile sport - she wasn't some top-ranked QB coming out of high school for which they might bend the rules. And, you know, it's Stanford, not Florida State or something. Plus I bet she can spell the word "academic."
Seriously? First, she could probably give you five a side and beat you silly, and what about "full-time student, graduating on time" says to you that it couldn't have had an effect on her ability to compete against full-time golfers?
Plus, what Jamo said.

 Well whip my ass for spelling academic wrong and as a communications major I'd expect her too. I'm sure her being a pro and attending there didn't benefit Stanford. You think.

 

There are lots of golfers who could give me 5 a side and beat me silly (probably even some on this forum) - all I'm saying is don't use being a full-time student as an excuse for not performing well. Maybe she should have deferred turning pro until after her studies. My main point was I think she was all hype and will be mediocre at best.

 

I wish I'd never mentioned Stanford to be honest.

post #28 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejimsmith View Post

 

 

haters gotta hate.  so much for golf being a gentleman's (or gentlewoman's) game.

 I never said I hate her  - I said she will be mediocre for the rest of her career. But if it makes you feel better. Michelle, I think you are going to be the best golfer ever, will win a bunch of majors on both the LPGA and the PGA and go on to have a fantastic business career after retirement because of your no doubt excellent communications major from Stanford. I am a gentleman now.

post #29 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

She never had any form.
She is the most overhyped female in the history of sport.
She has delivered zero percent oh her promise and the sponsorships were based largely on her looks. She is also barely capable of coherent speech and has pretended not to be a cheat.

 I agree - oops not being a gentleman again.

post #30 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thhole View Post

 And your point is:
http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/what-is-a-communications-major/

I wasn't making one with the sentence, which I why I prefaced it with the "For What It's Worth." You said, "Also I'm sure she picked something really accademic to major in as well just like all other sports stars," and I told you what she majored in.
post #31 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thhole View Post

Well whip my ass for spelling academic wrong and as a communications major I'd expect her too. I'm sure her being a pro and attending there didn't benefit Stanford. You think.

I think you're dramatically over-stating how much it "benefitted Stanford." She's not well known outside of golf, and Stanford didn't trot her out all the time as some sort of trophy. She didn't wear Stanford gear when playing. She was - for all intents and purposes - just another student, albeit one who could pay her own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thhole View Post

all I'm saying is don't use being a full-time student as an excuse for not performing well.

It's a perfectly legitimate reason.

Haters gonna hate is about right.
post #32 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


Haters gonna hate is about right.

 I don't hate her I just don't think she is a good golfer (my opinion).

post #33 of 124

The problem is Leadbetter. Plain and simple.

post #34 of 124

You found one blog that trashes Communications Majors and you feel that validates your position?  I guess you turned down admissions into Stanford because it wasn't a tough enough school for you.   You're right you shouldn't have brought it up, seems you thought she went there because she played golf for their team and then trashed her degree when you found out golf had nothing to do with her going there. 

 

No one is saying Wie is a great golfer at this time, but you can't say she wasn't, or won't be in the future.  She won 2 LPGA tour events, so she's better than most of the women on Tour who have yet to win their first. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thhole View Post

 And your point is:

http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/what-is-a-communications-major/

 

 

 Well whip my ass for spelling academic wrong and as a communications major I'd expect her too. I'm sure her being a pro and attending there didn't benefit Stanford. You think.

 

There are lots of golfers who could give me 5 a side and beat me silly (probably even some on this forum) - all I'm saying is don't use being a full-time student as an excuse for not performing well. Maybe she should have deferred turning pro until after her studies. My main point was I think she was all hype and will be mediocre at best.

 

I wish I'd never mentioned Stanford to be honest.

post #35 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

You found one blog that trashes Communications Majors and you feel that validates your position?  I guess you turned down admissions into Stanford because it wasn't a tough enough school for you.   You're right you shouldn't have brought it up, seems you thought she went there because she played golf for their team and then trashed her degree when you found out golf had nothing to do with her going there. 

No one is saying Wie is a great golfer at this time, but you can't say she wasn't, or won't be in the future.  She won 2 LPGA tour events, so she's better than most of the women on Tour who have yet to win their first. 

Actually I knew she didn't play golf for them (not eligible), but I was curious if being who she is helped her gain entry to that school. I'm sure Michelle Wie professional golfer on her entry application didn't help. I trashed her degree because it's the typical degree that non academics do when they want an easy ride at university and I didn't go to Stanford or any other American university because I'm not American. Communicatiosn is like social science and the typical answer to someone who majors in this type of field is "big Mac and fries please". The reason I picked that blog was it just happened to be funny.

And I can say she isn't, wasn't and won't be good a great golfer - it's called an opinion. Mine.
post #36 of 124

michelle-wie-picture-2.jpg

 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Michelle Wie's form.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Michelle Wie...Will she ever return to her previous form?