or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Fitness and Exercise › Any power lifters in here?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any power lifters in here?

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 

I have just recently gotten into power lifting.  I really enjoy it, but I wonder how much it will adversely affect my golf game.  I haven't played much in the last 6 months because many things got in the way. Of course, this style of lifting utilizes the 3 main lifts of deadlift, bench press, and squats.  Each of these are compound lifts and from what I see....they are great for the golf game.  They really strengthen your hamstrings, quads, calves, core, back, etc....All the big muscles that the golf swing uses. 

 

So, as my buddies are telling me that this will "kill" my golf swing, I somewhat disagree.  What are your opinions on this subject?

post #2 of 47

I do powerlifting and I really can't answer as to whether or not it will affect your swing.  I've always sucked at golf so I can't say powerlifting has made3it better  LOL  One thing I do consider however is ALOT of stretching. 

post #3 of 47
Thread Starter 

The only thing I can see is if I start to lose range of motion because of a lack of flexibility.  I think that I am fairly flexible and do my stretching and foam rolling, so I don't see that going away.   I'm not trying to be a huge body builder by any means.  My goal is just to get lean and get strong along the way. I say, if anything, it will help my game.

post #4 of 47

I do a lot of olympic lifts, dead lifts, squats, snatch, power cleans etc and it doesn't affect my flexibility although I can't comment on it affecting my golf as I've only started playing recently and have done lifting through out. I do feel that my weight shift in my swing is non existent as any real lateral movement in lifts as well as in sprinting which i partake in is a an absolute no no. that said though I'm more than capable of the movement physically just mentally ingrained to stay straight and tall.

 

If anything power lifting may improve your flexibility. How many people can squat past parallel the first time they lift? or touch their toes for that matter never mind doing straight leg dead lifts. Loss of flexibility is really a myth if you using proper range of motion and good technique, and don't intend on becoming massive which power lifters generally aren't.

 

Are you planning on competing in power lifting comps or just getting involved for the fitness benefits?

post #5 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca400 View Post

I do a lot of olympic lifts, dead lifts, squats, snatch, power cleans etc and it doesn't affect my flexibility although I can't comment on it affecting my golf as I've only started playing recently and have done lifting through out. I do feel that my weight shift in my swing is non existent as any real lateral movement in lifts as well as in sprinting which i partake in is a an absolute no no. that said though I'm more than capable of the movement physically just mentally ingrained to stay straight and tall.

 

If anything power lifting may improve your flexibility. How many people can squat past parallel the first time they lift? or touch their toes for that matter never mind doing straight leg dead lifts. Loss of flexibility is really a myth if you using proper range of motion and good technique, and don't intend on becoming massive which power lifters generally aren't.

 

Are you planning on competing in power lifting comps or just getting involved for the fitness benefits?

 

I LOVE straight leg dead lifts!  I suggest them to anyone that has tight hamstrings.

 

I plan on competing.  Right now my goals are to get to single digit body fat and get stronger. I'm not looking to set any records or make a career of it, but I just like competing in anything. I would say the overall plan is health benefits, but a little competition along the way doesn't hurt.  My trainer actually lives in Myrtle Beach and he is competing in January to try and break a few records (he is 53 years old, about 6'3", around 235lbs and 6%BF).  I am planning on making that meet my first one. I have been lifting for years but just now started this style with these goals in mind.  The more I learn, the more I realize I was lifting incorrectly for years.  My goals will take me a while as I had gotten pretty fat....like 33%BF fat!!  But I am getting there.  I've lost about 15lbs while increasing all of my lifts since March. 

 

Squat went from 225 (paused ATG) to 375 below parallel with no pause

Deadlift went from 265 to 405

Bench has gone from 175 to about 260 (haven't maxed yet but I can do 205 6-8 times with good form).

 

I know those numbers aren't big to most power lifters but they are huge to me!  My goals for the year are 450, 450, and 315 (was 250 but I think I can do that now).

 

 

Do you compete?

post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN94z View Post

 

I LOVE straight leg dead lifts!  I suggest them to anyone that has tight hamstrings.

 

I plan on competing.  Right now my goals are to get to single digit body fat and get stronger. I'm not looking to set any records or make a career of it, but I just like competing in anything. I would say the overall plan is health benefits, but a little competition along the way doesn't hurt.  My trainer actually lives in Myrtle Beach and he is competing in January to try and break a few records (he is 53 years old, about 6'3", around 235lbs and 6%BF).  I am planning on making that meet my first one. I have been lifting for years but just now started this style with these goals in mind.  The more I learn, the more I realize I was lifting incorrectly for years.  My goals will take me a while as I had gotten pretty fat....like 33%BF fat!!  But I am getting there.  I've lost about 15lbs while increasing all of my lifts since March. 

 

Squat went from 225 (paused ATG) to 375 below parallel with no pause

Deadlift went from 265 to 405

Bench has gone from 175 to about 260 (haven't maxed yet but I can do 205 6-8 times with good form).

 

I know those numbers aren't big to most power lifters but they are huge to me!  My goals for the year are 450, 450, and 315 (was 250 but I think I can do that now).

 

 

Do you compete?

I had a lot of hamstring tears and niggles a few years ago. since starting proper lifting and a lot of posterior chain exercises, specifically straight leg deadlifts, I've not even had a twinge, touch wood.

 

In impressive shape for his age, especially keeping so lean. I usually sit about 8-9 during winter training then maybe down to 4-5 during summer and I'm 22, never mind 53.

 

Strong lifts, big improvements especially your squat. I lift similar weight to you, although it took me a while to work it out because I'm a kg man. losing fat will give easy improvements your ratio will sky rocket if you keep loosing weight like that and increasing your lifts like you have. you'll be in great shape come January, best of luck to you. 

 

I'm lifting 

Deadlift 210kg 462lb

Squat 190 kg 418lb

Bench 100kg 220lb You can tell I'm a runner

 

Nah i dont compete weights is all just power training for sprinting for me, I enjoy it though. Principals are the same. Increase strength and keep as light as possible. A little heavy at the moment at 184lb.

post #7 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca400 View Post

I had a lot of hamstring tears and niggles a few years ago. since starting proper lifting and a lot of posterior chain exercises, specifically straight leg deadlifts, I've not even had a twinge, touch wood.

 

In impressive shape for his age, especially keeping so lean. I usually sit about 8-9 during winter training then maybe down to 4-5 during summer and I'm 22, never mind 53.

 

Strong lifts, big improvements especially your squat. I lift similar weight to you, although it took me a while to work it out because I'm a kg man. losing fat will give easy improvements your ratio will sky rocket if you keep loosing weight like that and increasing your lifts like you have. you'll be in great shape come January, best of luck to you. 

 

I'm lifting 

Deadlift 210kg 462lb

Squat 190 kg 418lb

Bench 100kg 220lb You can tell I'm a runner

 

Nah i dont compete weights is all just power training for sprinting for me, I enjoy it though. Principals are the same. Increase strength and keep as light as possible. A little heavy at the moment at 184lb.

 

 

I love running.  I hurt my knee in February and haven't been able to run much since.  It's slowly getting better....I guess that is my age factor playing in now that I am 34.  We were more distance runners.  I ran a few 5ks last year and was planning on working my way up to 10ks and some half marathons this year until the knee fiasco. I will get back to it though.

post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN94z View Post

 

 

I love running.  I hurt my knee in February and haven't been able to run much since.  It's slowly getting better....I guess that is my age factor playing in now that I am 34.  We were more distance runners.  I ran a few 5ks last year and was planning on working my way up to 10ks and some half marathons this year until the knee fiasco. I will get back to it though.

Bummer its one of those things that takes annoyingly long to be 100%. Sure you'll get back to it. I love running too but never for more than about 90 seconds at a time there's not enough money in the world to make me run a marathon. I hate slow work in pre season. I'm all about 400m being just plenty. 

post #9 of 47
I began doing Starting Strength ... well, the lifts about a year ago and trying to do the "actual program" back in February. My numbers aren't great -- I certainly don't consume enough calories to "follow the program" as it were.

I've only played two rounds of golf since then (since September, actually), and while I did hit some long (for me) drives, both were on courses I'd never played before, so I don't know if it was me or course conditions that helped out. I don't feel that the increased strength has affected my swing in any negative way, but then again, my numbers aren't spectacular (maybe if I were benching 300 instead of 135, the muscles that produce this would impair my mobility).

I can't claim that I'm a power lifter in any way, other than my gym routine is exercises (squats, deadlift, press, bench press, going to add cleans soon) that fit into that category.
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN94z View Post

The only thing I can see is if I start to lose range of motion because of a lack of flexibility.  I think that I am fairly flexible and do my stretching and foam rolling, so I don't see that going away.   I'm not trying to be a huge body builder by any means.  My goal is just to get lean and get strong along the way. I say, if anything, it will help my game.

 

That's what I was about to say myself... so I doubt you'll have any problems. You might get so big you'll have to change your swing though... lol maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca400 View Post

I do a lot of olympic lifts, dead lifts, squats, snatch, power cleans etc and it doesn't affect my flexibility although I can't comment on it affecting my golf as I've only started playing recently and have done lifting through out. I do feel that my weight shift in my swing is non existent as any real lateral movement in lifts as well as in sprinting which i partake in is a an absolute no no. that said though I'm more than capable of the movement physically just mentally ingrained to stay straight and tall.

 

If anything power lifting may improve your flexibility. How many people can squat past parallel the first time they lift? or touch their toes for that matter never mind doing straight leg dead lifts. Loss of flexibility is really a myth if you using proper range of motion and good technique, and don't intend on becoming massive which power lifters generally aren't.

 

Are you planning on competing in power lifting comps or just getting involved for the fitness benefits?

 

From your avatar, seems like you're a runner... which is why your flexibility remains okay I would say.

 

Loss of flexibility really isn't a myth though. If you don't work on it, any sort of strength programme will tighten your muscles. 

post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapanda View Post

 

That's what I was about to say myself... so I doubt you'll have any problems. You might get so big you'll have to change your swing though... lol maybe

 

From your avatar, seems like you're a runner... which is why your flexibility remains okay I would say.

 

Loss of flexibility really isn't a myth though. If you don't work on it, any sort of strength programme will tighten your muscles.

 

I do run, I do quite a lot of dynamic mobility work no stretching as such though.

 

If you're lifting with a full range of motion with good form, especially with olympic type lifts and compound lifts you would definitely increase joint flexibility rather than decrease it.

 

Flexibility issues usually arise with poor form, poor range of motion, or extensive use of machines leaving weak stabilising muscles. Or "meat head" lifting with large muscle imbalances. Rounded shoulders from neglecting back and nailing chest every other day. leading to the ever so common rotator cuff inflexibility and poor shoulder rotation.

post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca400 View Post

I do run, I do quite a lot of dynamic mobility work no stretching as such though.

 

If you're lifting with a full range of motion with good form, especially with olympic type lifts and compound lifts you would definitely increase joint flexibility rather than decrease it.

 

Flexibility issues usually arise with poor form, poor range of motion, or extensive use of machines leaving weak stabilising muscles. Or "meat head" lifting with large muscle imbalances. Rounded shoulders from neglecting back and nailing chest every other day. leading to the ever so common rotator cuff inflexibility and poor shoulder rotation.

 

By the way, pretty sure I owned an orange pair of those...

 

Anyway, I see your point. But if you squat to parallel or just beyond - as opposed to ass to grass - I can't see how that would do anything for your mobility. Same with benching, same with deadlifts.

post #13 of 47

KJ Choi used to do either powerlifting or bodybuilding, I don't recall which it was.  As long as you go through a full range of motion on your lifts and continue working on your game while you're lifting, you shouldnt see any adverse affects.  I used to do some powerlifting in my 20's (20 years ago) and still lift several days a week now.  When I was younger playing basketball in H.S. and college people said that lifting would affect my shot and flexibility for basketball (old school); a lot of today's pro athletes take up golf and they spend a lot of time lifting weights. 

post #14 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapanda View Post

 

By the way, pretty sure I owned an orange pair of those...

 

Anyway, I see your point. But if you squat to parallel or just beyond - as opposed to ass to grass - I can't see how that would do anything for your mobility. Same with benching, same with deadlifts.

 

Even squatting to parallel strengthens your joints and parallel takes flexibility to get there as well.  That's why you see so many people in the gym that can't do much more than a 1/4 squat (that and the pride factor of piling weight on the bar).  Most people just don't know correct form and it makes a difference.  When you use correct squat form where you squeeze your upper back, get your low back tight, and position your hamstrings and shins to push weight to the outside of the foot...it stretches quite a bit honestly.

 

Deadlifts are a great exercise for flexibility, IMO.  They are basically stretching all your muscles being a compound movement.  Your back, shoulders, bis tris, chest, core, etc....get stretched like crazy!  Your hamstrings don't get stretched so much for obvious reasons...but if you do SLDL then they stretch the hamstrings like crazy as well!   Bench can be either or.  I sometimes do guillotine presses which really stretch your chest and shoulders out.  In PL style, it depends really.  That style benching is strictly for moving weight and can actually be harmful to your shoulders to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniDrillSgt View Post

KJ Choi used to do either powerlifting or bodybuilding, I don't recall which it was.  As long as you go through a full range of motion on your lifts and continue working on your game while you're lifting, you shouldnt see any adverse affects.  I used to do some powerlifting in my 20's (20 years ago) and still lift several days a week now.  When I was younger playing basketball in H.S. and college people said that lifting would affect my shot and flexibility for basketball (old school); a lot of today's pro athletes take up golf and they spend a lot of time lifting weights. 

 

That's true. I forgot about him.  I believe he was a PL as well.   Just look at Tiger's size now.  And most of the guys on tour spend an enormous amount of time in the gym.  Even the older guys.  Tom Kite did a special with the TPI on his workout.  Now they do more specific types of things than I do, but in essence, you are still moving weight.  They are just more focused on range of motion type strength. 

post #15 of 47

I competed in powerlifting for twelve years when I was younger.  I don't believe it adversely affected my range of motion, but my knees are pretty arthritic these days from the squats.

 

I trained several other guys, and we used to love the intensity of competitions.  We competed in drug-tested meets, and set a few records over the years.  c2_beer.gif

post #16 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post

I competed in powerlifting for twelve years when I was younger.  I don't believe it adversely affected my range of motion, but my knees are pretty arthritic these days from the squats.

 

I trained several other guys, and we used to love the intensity of competitions.  We competed in drug-tested meets, and set a few records over the years.  c2_beer.gif

 

 

That's awesome man!  Yeah, my knees are feeling it as well.  I don't think it will be a long term thing unless this pain goes away. I don't to be walking around all stiff when I'm older.  I have thought about moving over to cross fit just for overall health.  Idk yet....

post #17 of 47

your buddies don't know shit, almost every athlete would benefit from powerlifting.  Only thing I would say for a golfer is don't go overboard on the bench press and definately add in plenty of back work to keep things balanced up there but the squats and deadlifts along with improved flexibility will have you booming it.  If nothing else, you will be able to swing easier with more control and hit it as far as you do now.  That is my main goal with my golf specific strength training.  I already  have a 118mph swing speed, I don't need more, I just need to get it there with less effort so that I strike it cleaner and improve dispersion.

post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN94z View Post

 

Even squatting to parallel strengthens your joints and parallel takes flexibility to get there as well.  That's why you see so many people in the gym that can't do much more than a 1/4 squat (that and the pride factor of piling weight on the bar).  Most people just don't know correct form and it makes a difference.  When you use correct squat form where you squeeze your upper back, get your low back tight, and position your hamstrings and shins to push weight to the outside of the foot...it stretches quite a bit honestly.

 

Deadlifts are a great exercise for flexibility, IMO.  They are basically stretching all your muscles being a compound movement.  Your back, shoulders, bis tris, chest, core, etc....get stretched like crazy!  Your hamstrings don't get stretched so much for obvious reasons...but if you do SLDL then they stretch the hamstrings like crazy as well!   Bench can be either or.  I sometimes do guillotine presses which really stretch your chest and shoulders out.  In PL style, it depends really.  That style benching is strictly for moving weight and can actually be harmful to your shoulders to be honest.

 

That's true. I forgot about him.  I believe he was a PL as well.   Just look at Tiger's size now.  And most of the guys on tour spend an enormous amount of time in the gym.  Even the older guys.  Tom Kite did a special with the TPI on his workout.  Now they do more specific types of things than I do, but in essence, you are still moving weight.  They are just more focused on range of motion type strength. 

 Stretched? I don't know about that... (regarding deadlifts)

 

The back muscles (upper back), I can see that.

 

But the rest of the muscles only work within a limited range of motion. They don't challenge in any way the range of motion of the average athlete.

 

And speaking for myself, I can take the bench bar all the way down to my chest, but my shoulder flexibility is pretty crappy (compared to others)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fitness and Exercise
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Fitness and Exercise › Any power lifters in here?