or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread - Page 60

post #1063 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

You're missing part of it....

 

James, where John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

 

 

I always get a little annoyed when a sentence paints me into a corner where I have no choice but to write "that that" or "had had", sometimes I reformulate the sentence, other times I'll drop one of the "thats" because most people don't even notice and sometimes I say, "**** it" and leave it as is.

 

Reminds me of a joke my friend messaged to me a few weeks ago that his mathematician brother in law told to him.  Except he remembered it incorrectly.  This is what he sent:

 

"Three mathematicians walk into a bar.  Bartender asks them, "does anybody want a beer?"  The first mathematician says, "I don't know."  The second also says, "I don't know."  The third says, "yes.""

 

Now, he's texting these to me to see if I get them, because he doesn't.  Because I'm always talking about math and logic as keys to understanding the universe, blah blah blah, he thinks I will be able to help understand.  But I'm a bit stumped on this one.  But the more I look at it, the more I realize it's a logic riddle.  It has something to do with the first two guys not knowing, leading to the third guy being affirmative.  So now I'm wondering if he recited the joke correctly.  So I google search it, and sure enough, one incorrect word changes the entire joke (well, really two, because they're actually supposed to be logicians, not mathematicians; although that's not really significant).  And so it goes:

 

"Three logicians walk into a bar.  Bartender asks them, "does everybody want a beer?"  The first one says, "I don't know."  The second also says, "I don't know."  The third says, "yes.""

 

One word makes a big difference.  I messaged him back, "you not only suck at math, but communications." :-) 

 

Of course, the funny thing is, if you change the word to "anybody," you essentially come up with the opposite form of the joke.

 

http://spikedmath.com/445.html

http://mrburkemath.blogspot.com/2011/05/coffee-logic.html

post #1064 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

Reminds me of a joke my friend messaged to me a few weeks ago that his mathematician brother in law told to him.  Except he remembered it incorrectly.  This is what he sent:

 

"Three mathematicians walk into a bar.  Bartender asks them, "does anybody want a beer?"  The first mathematician says, "I don't know."  The second also says, "I don't know."  The third says, "yes.""

 

Now, he's texting these to me to see if I get them, because he doesn't.  Because I'm always talking about math and logic as keys to understanding the universe, blah blah blah, he thinks I will be able to help understand.  But I'm a bit stumped on this one.  But the more I look at it, the more I realize it's a logic riddle.  It has something to do with the first two guys not knowing, leading to the third guy being affirmative.  So now I'm wondering if he recited the joke correctly.  So I google search it, and sure enough, one incorrect word changes the entire joke (well, really two, because they're actually supposed to be logicians, not mathematicians; although that's not really significant).  And so it goes:

 

"Three logicians walk into a bar.  Bartender asks them, "does everybody want a beer?"  The first one says, "I don't know."  The second also says, "I don't know."  The third says, "yes.""

 

One word makes a big difference.  I messaged him back, "you not only suck at math, but communications." " src="http://files.thesandtrap.com//images/smilies/new/a1_smile.gif"> 

 

Of course, the funny thing is, if you change the word to "anybody," you essentially come up with the opposite form of the joke.

 

http://spikedmath.com/445.html

http://mrburkemath.blogspot.com/2011/05/coffee-logic.html

 



My logic tells me the third guy should have said "Evidently not because these two morons don't know what they want but I'll take one."
post #1065 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 
 
My logic tells me the third guy should have said "Evidently not because these two morons don't know what they want but I'll take one."

 

Logic fail. If either of the first two DIDN'T want a beer, they would have been able to answer "no", instead of "I don't know". 

 

But I get your point. :-P

post #1066 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

Logic fail. If either of the first two DIDN'T want a beer, they would have been able to answer "no", instead of "I don't know". 

 

But I get your point. " src="http://files.thesandtrap.com//images/smilies/new/b2_tongue.gif">

 



Yeah I was going to re-tell the joke my way but the quote box wasn't working right on this computer.

Here is the way I would tell the joke:

Three guys walk in a bar and the bartender asks if everybody wants a beer. The first guy says "I don't know." The second guy says "I don't know." The third guy says yes."

Who gave the right answer?


A: (The first guy)

If you don't know by default you can't want one.

Edit: Actually now that I'm thinking about it (by my logic) the first guy was wrong too. a2_wink.gif
post #1067 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

Logic fail. If either of the first two DIDN'T want a beer, they would have been able to answer "no", instead of "I don't know". 

 

But I get your point. " src="http://files.thesandtrap.com//images/smilies/new/b2_tongue.gif">

 



Yeah I was going to re-tell the joke my way but the quote box wasn't working right on this computer.

Here is the way I would tell the joke:

Three guys walk in a bar and the bartender asks if everybody wants a beer. The first guy says "I don't know." The second guy says "I don't know." The third guy says yes."

Who gave the right answer?


A: (The first guy)

If you don't know by default you can't want one.

Edit: Actually now that I'm thinking about it (by my logic) the first guy was wrong too. a2_wink.gif
I don't understand your addition ... They all gave the correct answer.
post #1068 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post



I don't understand your addition ... They all gave the correct answer.

 



They were all wrong. Once the first guy didn't know what he wanted the answer (even his answer) had to be no.

Edit: But then maybe the first two knew exactly what they wanted but couldn't answer because they didn't know the next answer. In that case the third guy is going out on a limb and guessing what they want. a2_wink.gif

Too late for logic after working 16 hours.
post #1069 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post



I don't understand your addition ... They all gave the correct answer.

 



They were all wrong. Once the first guy didn't know what he wanted the answer (even his answer) had to be no.
No, the only reason they'd answer "I don't know" is because they DO want a beer but don't know if both of the others also do. If they didn't want one, like slice already said, then they'd say no. That's why the third guy can definitively say yes.
post #1070 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post



No, the only reason they'd answer "I don't know" is because they DO want a beer but don't know if both of the others also do. If they didn't want one, like slice already said, then they'd say no. That's why the third guy can definitively say yes.

 



Where I come from if somebody says "I don't know" it means they may or may not want one but don't know yet.

Maybe "I don't know" means you DO want one in California or something but if you say that here the bartender is going to tell you to let him know if you ever decide. LOL
post #1071 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post



No, the only reason they'd answer "I don't know" is because they DO want a beer but don't know if both of the others also do. If they didn't want one, like slice already said, then they'd say no. That's why the third guy can definitively say yes.

 



Where I come from if somebody says "I don't know" it means they may or may not want one but don't know yet.

Maybe "I don't know" means you DO want one in California or something but if you say that here the bartender is going to tell you to let him know if you ever decide. LOL
Ok, well now I know you're not a logician/mathematician by trade. ;)
post #1072 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post



Ok, well now I know you're not a logician/mathematician by trade. ;)

 



Maybe not but I know I'm never going to get that beer as long as I say I don't know. ROFLOL
post #1073 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post



No, the only reason they'd answer "I don't know" is because they DO want a beer but don't know if both of the others also do. If they didn't want one, like slice already said, then they'd say no. That's why the third guy can definitively say yes.

 



Where I come from if somebody says "I don't know" it means they may or may not want one but don't know yet.

Maybe "I don't know" means you DO want one in California or something but if you say that here the bartender is going to tell you to let him know if you ever decide. LOL

Here is why this joke makes sense. The bartender asks if "everyone" wants a beer, if the first person didn't they'd say no because the don't so "everyone" doesn't want a beer. He said "I don't know" because he DOES want a beer but he can't answer for the next 2 guys, 2nd guy wants a beer but can't say yes because he doesn't know if the 3rd guy wants one, the last guy CAN say yes because neither of the other two said no and there isn't anyone else who can say no.

 

That makes perfect sense to me!

post #1074 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post



No, the only reason they'd answer "I don't know" is because they DO want a beer but don't know if both of the others also do. If they didn't want one, like slice already said, then they'd say no. That's why the third guy can definitively say yes.

 



Where I come from if somebody says "I don't know" it means they may or may not want one but don't know yet.

Maybe "I don't know" means you DO want one in California or something but if you say that here the bartender is going to tell you to let him know if you ever decide. LOL


The point is that the first guy was answering the question "does everybody want a beer?"  (That is, are you as a group ordering three beers.)  If he didn't want one, he would say "no." (Meaning not three beers won't be ordered--it doesn't matter if the other two guys want a beer or not--this answers the bartender's question: the answer to the question about everybody wanting a beer or not is "no."  It's a poor way to reply to a bartender, since he might misinterpret it, but it's logical.)  Since he doesn't know what the other two will say, he can't answer "yes."  So he has to say IDK.

 

Same response for the second guy.  If he doesn't want a beer, he could say "no."  (Meaning he is certain that they won't be ordering three beers.)  He knows what the first guy said, and he knows the logic of it.  But he can't speak for the third guy.

 

The third guy now knows that the first two each want a beer (based on their answers).  Since he also wants a beer, he can now answer that yes, everybody wants a beer.

 

--------------------------------

 

edit:  Jeremie Boop beat me to it!

post #1075 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

Here is why this joke makes sense. The bartender asks if "everyone" wants a beer, if the first person didn't they'd say no because the don't so "everyone" doesn't want a beer. He said "I don't know" because he DOES want a beer but he can't answer for the next 2 guys, 2nd guy wants a beer but can't say yes because he doesn't know if the 3rd guy wants one, the last guy CAN say yes because neither of the other two said no and there isn't anyone else who can say no.

That makes perfect sense to me!
I get it.




I still don't think it's funny. 😉
post #1076 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post


I get it.




I still don't think it's funny. 😉

I never said it was funny, just that it made sense to me. :beer:

post #1077 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

I never said it was funny, just that it made sense to me. c2_beer.gif
a3_biggrin.gif
post #1078 of 1133
z8_offtopic.gifa1_smile.gif
post #1079 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Swede View Post


The point is that the first guy was answering the question "does everybody want a beer?"  (That is, are you as a group ordering three beers.)  If he didn't want one, he would say "no." (Meaning not three beers won't be ordered--it doesn't matter if the other two guys want a beer or not--this answers the bartender's question: the answer to the question about everybody wanting a beer or not is "no."  It's a poor way to reply to a bartender, since he might misinterpret it, but it's logical.)  Since he doesn't know what the other two will say, he can't answer "yes."  So he has to say IDK.

 

Same response for the second guy.  If he doesn't want a beer, he could say "no."  (Meaning he is certain that they won't be ordering three beers.)  He knows what the first guy said, and he knows the logic of it.  But he can't speak for the third guy.

 

The third guy now knows that the first two each want a beer (based on their answers).  Since he also wants a beer, he can now answer that yes, everybody wants a beer.

 


 

Jeremie Boop beat me to it!

 



I don't know if it's just late and I need some sleep but you guys are funny. I can see 3 people sitting down to dinner and thinking they all ordered something only to have one dinner brought to the table for the guy that knew what he wanted.

The waitress then asks the other two if they ever made up their minds.
post #1080 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

I don't know if it's just late and I need some sleep but you guys are funny. I can see 3 people sitting down to dinner and thinking they all ordered something only to have one dinner brought to the table for the guy that knew what he wanted.

The waitress then asks the other two if they ever made up their minds.

 

Let's go with "you're late and need sleep." It's a logic problem, not how it would work in the real world.

 

My wife sometimes asks me if I want "peas or corn" and I often answer "yes" when I want one or the other because, logically, TRUE || FALSE is the same as FALSE || TRUE. Then she asks me if I want "peas xor corn." :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread