or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread - Page 7

post #109 of 1115
Thread Starter 
Quote:

What golf shoe's are the best for walking?

 

Why so possesive? Ugh...

post #110 of 1115

"Your an idiot."

 

I've seen this more than once on other forums and it can't be beat.
 

post #111 of 1115

Not sure if it was already posted, but I can't believe how often people write 'loose' in the place of 'lose.'

post #112 of 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post

"Your an idiot."

 

I've seen this more than once on other forums and it can't be beat.

 

Oh it can be beat:

 

1000

post #113 of 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Oh it can be beat:

 

1000


I concede. If he can get a computer to function and  log in to a forum.

post #114 of 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Not sure if it was already posted, but I can't believe how often people write 'loose' in the place of 'lose.'


I think there are literally more people on nutrition forums who want to loose weight than lose it.

 

In that case I blame standard English about as much as I blame the people who get it wrong.

Lose is a ridiculous way to spell looze.

post #115 of 1115

What amazes me is the number of people who don't get the basic idea of contractions.

 

Nobody says or types, "Never throw you are club."

 

Many would type, "Never throw you're club."

post #116 of 1115
Thread Starter 

We have an exec admin assistant where I work who makes a pretty good salary and she sends out emails all the time with these types of mistakes. It's downright embarassing.

post #117 of 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post

What amazes me is the number of people who don't get the basic idea of contractions.

 

Nobody says or types, "Never throw you are club."

 

Many would type, "Never throw you're club."

Don't be amazed ... it's not that people don't understand them, it's that they're typing fast and not proof-reading.  At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.e2_whistling.gif

post #118 of 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


Or the poster was just tripping balls on acid.

joo ever try that shit in your morning coffee. Makes the whole office more interesting!

post #119 of 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Don't be amazed ... it's not that people don't understand them, it's that they're typing fast and not proof-reading.  At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.e2_whistling.gif

 

I believe it. I very rarely make these errors, except when I'm typing in a hurry. Writing by hand, I don't think I've made an apostrophe error in years.

post #120 of 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post

"Your an idiot."

 

I've seen this more than once on other forums and it can't be beat.
 

 

Or the more aggressive, "Your retarded". I automatically assume anyone who incorrectly uses homophones has double digit IQ.

 

Others that really bother me are shitty uses of apostrophes:

-It's 1950s not 1950's, unless you're specifically to something from 1950.

-The plural of an acronym or number doesn't need an apostrophe. "United have many 737s amongst their fleet"..."The interest rate on ARMs is variable after 3 years"

-Why do people think an apostrophe is needed to make something plural? pizza's?! menu's? pro's? 

post #121 of 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post

 

Or the more aggressive, "Your retarded". I automatically assume anyone who incorrectly uses homophones has double digit IQ.

 

Others that really bother me are shitty uses of apostrophes:

-It's 1950s not 1950's, unless you're specifically to something from 1950.

-The plural of an acronym or number doesn't need an apostrophe. "United have many 737s amongst their fleet"..."The interest rate on ARMs is variable after 3 years"

-Why do people think an apostrophe is needed to make something plural? pizza's?! menu's? pro's? 

 

To be fair, the first two of those have some reasonable logic behind them. The New York Times only recently (~ 2006) stopped using an apostrophe after decades, and the acronym is a reasonable, if unnecessary, extension of the rules for plural letters (now only for lower case plural letters, at least according to the Chicago Manual of Style). Those two don't bother me so much because of that---they're more arbitrary than mixing up "it's" and "its."

post #122 of 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post

 

To be fair, the first two of those have some reasonable logic behind them. The New York Times only recently (~ 2006) stopped using an apostrophe after decades, and the acronym is a reasonable, if unnecessary, extension of the rules for plural letters (now only for lower case plural letters, at least according to the Chicago Manual of Style). Those two don't bother me so much because of that---they're more arbitrary than mixing up "it's" and "its."

 

Some are difficult. What would the plural of TaylorMade R11S be? R11Ss? R11S's?

 

My choice: try to reword the sentence to avoid it.

post #123 of 1115

I've subscribed to this thread just so that I know if I get caught with something stupid.

 

 

Oh, and I'm a little late to the party, but beat this:

 

 

1000

 

 

I stopped short of the end, because it was boring.

post #124 of 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Swede View Post

 

Some are difficult. What would the plural of TaylorMade R11S be? R11Ss? R11S's?

 

My choice: try to reword the sentence to avoid it.

 

I don't think the apostrophe is used for plural.  So, R11Ss, I think.  

 

Unless you're talking possessive, like "I like my R11S's shaft."   

post #125 of 1115

If you're talking about the Jones family, you might refer to them as the Joneses, but not the Jones' or Jones's.  Unless you're saying that you like the Jones' car.  Or would that be the Joneses' car?  

post #126 of 1115
Thread Starter 

Good points all, but I fear that grammar and spelling are undergoing a not very slow death with the younger generation today. The same may be said for composition of speech and text in general. Here:

 

 

RIP Greg Giraldo!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread