or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread - Page 4

post #55 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I've got a friend who's in med school who pronounces "Chipotle" "chip-o-tell."

Hey, I do that too.  Actually, more like chipotul.  There was a Jack In The Box commercial several years ago where he couldn't pronounce it, we thought it was funny, and now I find myself always saying it that way.  (I'm just weird though)  Because of an ex co-worker of mine for whom English was a second language, I always refer to Trader Joe's as Trader's Joe.  (Again, I'm weird)

post #56 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

I actually don't care alot. Not to much anyway.a2_wink.gif

My favourite is  "use to" or "suppose to " which seems almost universal here, instead of "used to" or "supposed to".

My favorite is people saying "to" when they mean "too". e2_whistling.gif

post #57 of 991

Too/to, your/you're, there/their are all obvious usage errors but I judge people's intelligence when they make those mistakes in a forum post.  My brain works faster than my fingers, and I frequently change the structure of the sentence I'm typing while I'm typing it.  That can result in planning to use one word, and actually typing the other.  Or, your brain thinks "your" but your fingers are just blasting away, and type one or the other version.  Since it's internet forum post, you're typically not editing before you press "submit".

post #58 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

Regionalisms don't bother me at all (hey y'all, gonna buy me a sand wedge, broke my old one on accident), but misuse of two/to/too and there/they're/their blow my mind. I don't care what someone studied in college. If they can't sort those out, I don't read their posts.

Back this up 100%.  There are people in this thread that can't seem to sort of the differences.  Maybe we can help them:

 

They're/there/their:

There is no way you'll reach the green with an eight iron.

Their balls all landed within 10 yards of each other.

They're going to play through.

 

Too/to:

Don't drive too far or you'll end up in the sand.

Instead, drive it to the 150 stick.

 

Its/It's

It's about time you won a hole. (contraction)

The main advantage of my putter is its grip. (possessive)

 

 

Now, I have a marine biology degree, which is a far stretch from an English degree.  But you must master the language or no one will read a word you write.  I imagine the same applies to business and other fields. I certainly apply this rule to any forum post that I read.  

post #59 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Back this up 100%.  There are people in this thread that can't seem to sort of the differences.  Maybe we can help them:

 

They're/there/their:

There is no way you'll reach the green with an eight iron.

Their balls all landed within 10 yards of each other.

They're going to play through.

 

Too/to:

Don't drive too far or you'll end up in the sand.

Instead, drive it to the 150 stick.

 

Its/It's

It's about time you won a hole. (contraction)

The main advantage of my putter is its grip. (possessive)

 

 

Now, I have a marine biology degree, which is a far stretch from an English degree.  But you must master the language or no one will read a word you write.  I imagine the same applies to business and other fields. I certainly apply this rule to any forum post that I read.  

 

When you're typing a word a second, your fingers aren't always doing what you think they are.  And, I certainly don't put the level of effort/editing into a forum post that I would in a memo I prepare for someone's signature, or a brief that I submit to a court.  This is a bold assumption, but I'd proffer that 90% of posters don't either.

 

(BTW when typing that first sentence, I initially typed "when your typing...", but I caught the error as I was typing it.  I have two post-graduate degrees in fields that require lots of writing, and I've won awards for academic writing.  I certainly don't think my initial mistake reflects on my intelligence.)

post #60 of 991

You're right k-troop.  But like a golf swing, I never do something without thinking it through clearly (though you can't tell from my handicap).  I rarely think "you're" but type "your".  Different strokes, different folks.

 

I should add that with regards to the title of this thread, "grammar" is a noun while "grammatical" is an adjective.  Thus, the phrase "grammatical errors," rather than "grammar errors," is actually correct.

post #61 of 991

I should add, k troop, that I'm jealous of your "word a second" typing rate.  Maybe that's why I don't often make careless mistakes... I'm a really slow typer.  LOL

post #62 of 991

Looking at these clubs, Im in need of of one quick. Im leaning towards the Nike but I heard they brake alot. I need some help.

 

 

This was posted on another thread.  I guess some help is needed, like in spelling and punctuation.

 

(Can anyone advise me on how to copy from one thread to another?)

 

post #63 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

I should add, k troop, that I'm jealous of your "word a second" typing rate.  Maybe that's why I don't often make careless mistakes... I'm a really slow typer.  LOL

 

I should probably add a video of myself typing so that I don't get accused of inflating my stats on an internet forum.

post #64 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post

 

I should probably add a video of myself typing so that I don't get accused of inflating my stats on an internet forum.

I'd like to know what type of keyboard you're using as well.

post #65 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

I'd like to know what type of keyboard you're using as well.

 

Well, let me clarify.  I've only been typing for 12 weeks.  The only video I have is from 8 weeks ago, when I was only typing about 20 words/min.  Since then I've significantly increased my finger speed.  Unfortunately I can't post a video right now, because my keyboard broke.  I'm using my iphone right now, but I'm not even achieving peak speed with that because my fingers are wet (I'm enjoying a bloody mary this morning).

 

However, I'll accept any challenges to my typing speed.  If someone wants to meet me at a public internet cafe in Hawaii with a key-stroke recording device, then I'll prove it.  I'll even pay your travel expenses.

post #66 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post

 

Well, let me clarify.  I've only been typing for 12 weeks.  The only video I have is from 8 weeks ago, when I was only typing about 20 words/min.  Since then I've significantly increased my finger speed.  Unfortunately I can't post a video right now, because my keyboard broke.  I'm using my iphone right now, but I'm not even achieving peak speed with that because my fingers are wet (I'm enjoying a bloody mary this morning).

 

However, I'll accept any challenges to my typing speed.  If someone wants to meet me at a public internet cafe in Hawaii with a key-stroke recording device, then I'll prove it.  I'll even pay your travel expenses.

 

I bet I can beat you.  And I'll give you 5 (key)strokes per minute.

post #67 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post

Well, let me clarify.  I've only been typing for 12 weeks.  The only video I have is from 8 weeks ago, when I was only typing about 20 words/min.  Since then I've significantly increased my finger speed.  Unfortunately I can't post a video right now, because my keyboard broke.  I'm using my iphone right now, but I'm not even achieving peak speed with that because my fingers are wet (I'm enjoying a bloody mary this morning).

However, I'll accept any challenges to my typing speed.  If someone wants to meet me at a public internet cafe in Hawaii with a key-stroke recording device, then I'll prove it.  I'll even pay your travel expenses.

Try it on here, and take a screencap.
post #68 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Back this up 100%.  There are people in this thread that can't seem to sort of the differences.  Maybe we can help them:

So you don't know the difference between "of" and "out?"  Should I explain it to you?

 

Or should I do like I normally do, and assume you are intelligent and just made a typo?  K-troop has the right of it ... don't assume a lot of people on here care as much to proofread like they do for things that are actually important, therefore don't judge their intelligence based on such minor grammar mistakes.  Make fun of them (us - I know I've done it), yes, but don't judge.

post #69 of 991
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

So you don't know the difference between "of" and "out?"  Should I explain it to you?

 

Or should I do like I normally do, and assume you are intelligent and just made a typo?  K-troop has the right of it ... don't assume a lot of people on here care as much to proofread like they do for things that are actually important, therefore don't judge their intelligence based on such minor grammar mistakes.  Make fun of them (us - I know I've done it), yes, but don't judge.

 

Yess, but wenn te misteacs ar to gettinn to badd so you cant to tel wat te pearsun are saying, meybe it was tyme too lurn grimmar ad spulling.

 

BTW, writing on TST is the most important thing we do. The rest is just window dressing.

post #70 of 991
Thread Starter 

This one taken from a Grill Room thread is beautiful in its simplicity and its silliness:

 

Quote:

For example, a baseball thanking the Lord on national tv becasue he won the world series could just be an act.

post #71 of 991

This was from a different forum, but it made me chuckle:

 

 

 

Quote:
 

lokito15 says:

 

HTC HD2 is a Jack off all trades, I wish I never sold mine. :(

post #72 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

Yess, but wenn te misteacs ar to gettinn to badd so you cant to tel wat te pearsun are saying, meybe it was tyme too lurn grimmar ad spulling.

 

BTW, writing on TST is the most important thing we do. The rest is just window dressing.

Haha!  Well said.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread